Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2012, 05:22 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=sdennislee;

P.S Google deer whistles, research shows them to be ineffective in warning deer for various reasons. I should have read the research before I bought mine. Fortunately I've never hit a deer but then again never hit an elephant either which, leads me to believe they are effective for elephants too .[/QUOTE]

Dennis,

I'm still waiting for the invention of a BUG whistle.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2012, 05:50 AM   #30

If you dont dim to any oncoming, or any you are following, you are being cursed by those you are being so very considerate of.

I do not drive at night if I can avoid it. Way too many jerks out there.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #31

Mid Atlantic Campers
ARE YOU KIDDING ME, someone has to ask if it's OK to keep high beams on while approaching on coming traffic or following another vehicle.

I'm not trying to offend but maybe you need to be offended. You are Certainly Offending Other Drivers
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #32

Pardon my use of a four letter dirty word, but when I used to "work" for a living, I drove truck over the road, a lot of it at night. I would have given any amount of money for a headlight disabling laser beam for those inconsiderate b******s who wouldn't dim their lights. Seems some folks don't understand just how much lights causes eye strain and contributes to fatigue at night. For those who use the excuse of looking for deer, if oncoming lights are blinding you, you wouldn't see the deer anyway, no matter how much light you have out there.

Since retirement, we travel an average of five months a year, and I can honestly say I've never driven an rv after dark.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Short answer: YES

Long answer: If you ever have someone on the other side of the freeway with HIGH BEAMS you will understand why.

Fact is on most freeways I travel I never use high beams cause there is always someone less than 500' in front of me.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #34

As the old saying goes"ask and you shall receive". How this thread got started my wife and I were coming home after dark in her car. We were on a rural four lane road going through a wooded area with very little traffic. The distance between the lanes was probably 200ft. I am a very considerate driver and always dim my headlights when necessary...
Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #35

I was taught that no one should ever see your brights from behind or in front.
speedpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman1 View Post
As the old saying goes"ask and you shall receive". How this thread got started my wife and I were coming home after dark in her car. We were on a rural four lane road going through a wooded area with very little traffic. The distance between the lanes was probably 200ft. I am a very considerate driver and always dim my headlights when necessary...
O.K., O.P.....we see the "Truce!" flag.....

I feel obliged to report to you that we have a "No Live Prisoners" policy here in the Forums, so I'd bet dollars to donuts that we'll keep thumpin' on you yet awhile...
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #37

Be Courteous!
Please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand; above all be nice.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #38

National RV Owners Club
May not be nice but my though is: Dim them, dam#t!
Back in the late 40's & 50's my dad would turn around and chase someone down who didn't dim headlights. This was before Road Rage was heard of but he was very upset at those individuals. Incidentally, he was a large man and always received an apology. I learned from him if you can see a vehicle dim the lights and that's what I do.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekker View Post
I also Dim my lights to oncoming trafic, i also use a DEER Whistle to alert the deer.
it seems to work every place i have driven with deer.
it also works on Camals, i drove through Nevada and never seen ONE Camal
Didn't some magazine do a test of the deer whistles and found that they actually attract deer? They hear it and come to see what the noise is.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
When I was driving trucks a few years back we used to run 500 watt aircraft landing light s for driving lights. we had them for off road use in the woods. When some jerk would not dim his lights, and after a flick of the high beams, they would get a shot of those. Worked every time. Highly illegal but effective.

After years of working in the bush and seeing all kinds of deer, I came to the conclusion that they are very nosey creatures. If they hear a sound they have to go and see what it is. Hence I think deer whistles attract them rather than repel them.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #41

National RV Owners Club
I dim my lights also when on comimg cars or trucks are coming at me at night.
One other thing I try to remenber when I am on the road is when a large truck come by me and when it get in front I watch for him in his mirrer and when I see him look my way or if I see his turning light flashing I back off a little and blink my light up and down so he will know that I will let him in if he wants to move over in my lane and its nice when the driver will sometimes blink his tail lights as to thank you for being a courteous driver.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dimming for oncomeing traffic is the LAW in many states. in some states it matters not the distance or divided highway or not.
Now besides slowing for deer there is another couple of options.
Some vehicles can and some can't do these.
1 install aftermarket headlights. (I'm not talking the bulbs that is #2)
I have glass Europen headlights in both my RV, 99 and 06 Jeep wranglers. They have a much better low beam patteren of light. Wider, with a sharper horizontal cutoff, and they angle up slightly to the right.
Just about every vehicle on the road can do these last two.
2 I use Sylvaina Ultra Silverstars aftermarket bulbs. THese a slightly brighter than standard bulbs. THis will make low beam performance better.
3 install a set of Fog lights (NOT driving lights) These will have a very wide and low patteren of light. With a wider patteren sometimes you can see a deer when it is running or walking towards the pavment as far away 25 feet before it gets there giving you time to slow enough to avoid it alltogether.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote