Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #1

Direct TV

We recently put a Winguard Direct TV antenna on our 5r based on our conversations with Direct. We had previously purchased a Direct DVR a few years ago and pay a monthly service fee for it. We currently have a genie plus mini geni under our current subscription at the house as well as the one we own. We were told by Direct that we would be able to take the one we owned and put it in the 5r without any additional charges when we use the 5r since it already has service. We were also told that we would just have to call them wherever we were at in the 5r and we could get available local programing (network tv). We just returned from a trip during which we requested local channels and were told it couldn't be done. We were also told we would need a second contract for an additional 15 dollars per month whether we use the DVR we own in the 5r or at the house or not. We currently pay 10 dollars for service to that DVR and they want it on a separate contract. If I had know this I wouldn't have paid the money for a roof mounted automatic Direct satellite antenna, I would have taken dishes mobile option where you only pay when the service is active on a trip. Anyone else having this problem with Direct or is it just because AT&T owns Direct TV? now?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #2

Take your Genie and slave, dont tell them. In my opinion local channels offer overy little in decent programming. If you have to have locals call, ask for an RV specalist. BTW, spot beam local channels is usually good for about 150 miles. But I have gotten my home locals up to about 250 miles away.

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If the roof dish is a Trav'ler SWM dish. Just take the Genie in the RV when needed.

The other receivers should only cost $6.50 a month for service.
$10 monthly covers all DVR receivers you use. You probably don't own any DTV receiver. Any extra over main Genie will be $6.50 month use.
Plus the Genie Whole House $3
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:40 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
If the roof dish is a Trav'ler SWM dish. Just take the Genie in the RV when needed.

The other receivers should only cost $6.50 a month for service.
$10 monthly covers all DVR receivers you use. You probably don't own any DTV receiver. Any extra over main Genie will be $6.50 month use.
Plus the Genie Whole House $3
You can in fact own a DTV receiver. Our MH came from the factory with two, both paid for at the time. Cost was $399 each.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
I'll make two points and hopefully you will find them helpful.

I have one account at the sticks and bricks with a genie and a slave. When we go somewhere in the motorhome, the DTV receivers go with us. I make a phone call upon arrival, give them the location's address, and they send a signal to the receiver that gives me the local channels wherever I am. I reverse the process when I return home. Never a problem.

I never use the terms "RV" or "motorhome" in my conversations with them. For some reason, their heads explode and it causes them problems. I refer simply to my "vacation home".
Old 08-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #6

Semper Fi, USMCRET

I just purchased a Winegard Carryout G2. We have DirecTV at the S&B (Genie and 3 sisters) and we have a KVH dome on the MH. I have not decided if I will put DirecTV in the MH since the KVH Dome won't support the Genie. Do you or anyone know if the Genie will work on the G2 even if the DirecTV is SD?

KVH just told me that a DVR won't work on the dome, even though the previous owners had one working..Not too excite about KVH..More discussion tomorrow with DirecTV and KVH and Dish..

Thanks,

George

2005 Country Coach Allure 430
Old 08-19-2015, 05:33 AM   #7
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkgunner View Post
Semper Fi, USMCRET

I just purchased a Winegard Carryout G2. We have DirecTV at the S&B (Genie and 3 sisters) and we have a KVH dome on the MH. I have not decided if I will put DirecTV in the MH since the KVH Dome won't support the Genie. Do you or anyone know if the Genie will work on the G2 even if the DirecTV is SD?

KVH just told me that a DVR won't work on the dome, even though the previous owners had one working..Not too excite about KVH..More discussion tomorrow with DirecTV and KVH and Dish..

Thanks,

George

2005 Country Coach Allure 430
I'm not an expert on these systems; I only know what works for me. I installed a Winegard Traveller on my MH when we decided to go the sat route. I'm very happy with our setup.

Best of luck!
Old 08-19-2015, 05:44 AM   #8

I have been with DTV for 15 years and the main thing that I have learned is that it is the luck of the draw on who answers your call at DTV. Some of them are hard A$$'s and some are very nice. If I am not getting anywhere with one I tell them that something has come up and I have to hang up. Then I call back in a few minutes.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:25 AM   #9

I have never had a problem getting locals with DirecTv. Whenever I want, I call them and simply change my service address, leaving my billing address alone. The only times it has taken more than a couple of minutes is when the representative tries to push "free" upgrades on me since I'm moving and keeping DirecTv.

Really, it's as simple as that. I think some people give way more information than is needed, making it seem like a complicated task for both them and DirecTv.

Just call and change your service address.

Bruce
Old 08-19-2015, 06:28 AM   #10

I have a DirectTV Traveler, and just use the campground cable for locals...........

Also hooking up the cable can give you the ability to watch different channels on any other TVs (I could put another receiver in for my bedroom TV, but have not done so).
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:49 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I'm not an expert on these systems; I only know what works for me. I installed a Winegard Traveller on my MH when we decided to go the sat route. I'm very happy with our setup.

Best of luck!
X2
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:26 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkgunner View Post
Semper Fi, USMCRET

How to make you Dome dish work with a Genie Receiver.
See page 3 of the PDF attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winegard SWM set up.pdf (1.11 MB, 27 views)
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I'll make two points and hopefully you will find them helpful.

I have one account at the sticks and bricks with a genie and a slave. When we go somewhere in the motorhome, the DTV receivers go with us. I make a phone call upon arrival, give them the location's address, and they send a signal to the receiver that gives me the local channels wherever I am. I reverse the process when I return home. Never a problem.
I never use the terms "RV" or "motorhome" in my conversations with them. For some reason, their heads explode and it causes them problems. I refer simply to my "vacation home".
USMCRET

I've had one DirecTV account for over 10 years and use my DirecTV receiver in either my home or in my RV.
To get "local stations" in my coach wherever my coach is located... I simply call DirecTV and change the "service address" of my account, (not the "billing address"), to the location of my coach... never mentioning "RV" or "motorhome".
As you say, if you do mention "RV"or "motorhome" it WILL cause their heads to explode, (resulting in unnecessary confusion).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-19-2015, 10:36 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
You need one account. An RV account from Direct. An RV account allows you to use your receivers anywhere, including your home. Get an RV account. You'll have to supply Direct with a copy of your RV registration. Have your locals set to your home location. Then get the Distant Network Service. The DNS will allow you to get networks when away from your home area.

I've been doing this since 2002 and it has worked perfectly.

Tom N is online now   Reply With Quote