Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #29

I have Dish at home and now in the RV. Works great!! I have found their customer service to be quite good and if I'm not satisfied I ask for a supervisor. They have been very responsive and I will continue with them. I have some friends that have told me some real bad experiences with Direct. I suspect they both have their bad employees as they are only as good as the one you are talking too. That's why I have no problem asking for a supervisor. They are authorized to go to another level when requested to. Just my experience.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 09:14 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ive had dish at home for over 20 years. Like most I use to bring the box from home but like others found it to be a pita. I went to camping world and bought their receivers for 99 bucks a piece. They are called vip 211's. I have an in motion wine guard system and it works great. The bill for the extra service is 10 bucks a month and I leave it on all year. That way I can jump in and go. Its not worth ten bucks to have to call and turn things on.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:24 AM   #31

So, not exactly on topic, but close; How does one actually get service from DirecTV for their RV? I thought it would be an easy process. But, I've now talked to 11 different DirecTV "experts" over two different phone calls. Every conversation starts out the same, i tell them I have an RV, it already has an automatic dish, all I need is a receiver and service. They say, "No problem sir, let's get you set up." I proceed to give them all my contact info etc, then they start in with scheduling an installer to come out and put a dish on my roof... I tell that again, that's not what i want and repeat everything i told them in the beginning about having an RV. They ask, "does it move?" I tell them Yes, but I already have a dish, all i want is a receiver and service. Then they say I need to talk to someone else for "mobile home service". Then I get transferred to someone else and it's the EXACT same conversation all over again.

I'm normally pretty mild mannered, but I've really let a few of them have it. I'm trying to give them my money.

So, I could go the easy route, let them put a dish on my home, rob the receiver and put it in the coach. But I have Fios, I don't want a dish on my home.

How do I get this set up with a company that is bound and determined not to sell their product? Is it as simple as going to Camping World, buying a receiver then I have something DirecTV will sell me service for? At this point, that's the only thing I can think to try.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:00 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
You are getting a number of responses. We bought the King Tailgater 2 to use with Dish. Simply a matter of expenses for us. We have Dish at home and when we are in our MH (which is a LOT) we enjoy great TV. Cost is $7 per month when active. Cost for the compatible Tailgater system with tuner was about $100 less. Also, HD is available with the less expensive units.

My only complaint is that when I call or do an online chat, I seem to have a problem switching locations. It is a bit of a pain. I must be doing something wrong because most others don't seem to have the same problem.

Anyway - enjoy. We do!!

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:16 AM   #33

I leave my dish set on my home location so I have all the home local channels when I travel. If I want local channels where I'm set up I just raise the antenna. Easy peasy. I have the X2 with 211Z, East and West Sats.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
It only took two times for me to realize that that forgetting the remote sucks. Moving the receivers is, IMHO, a big fat PITA. The $10 a month I pay is a small cost for the aggravation saved.
You need to check your DirecTV bill more closely.
Those 2 receivers in the RV are costing you $13.00 a month or $156 a year plus any state tax if due. Has been that way since March 2015

Remotes can be bought in any Wally World for less then one month lease on the receivers. And just left in the RV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
We have DIRECTV both at home and in the motorhome. Since the systems are different we need a different receiver for each. It initially cost $69.00 to lease a second receiver for the motorhome with no monthly fee. DIRECTV charges $5.00 per month for the service in addition to what we pay for the home system.
The receivers in the RV are no different then the ones in the house. Either one will work in the RV or house with the proper Dish and setting in the receiver set up.

Last time it was $5 lease for a receiver was back in 2010 before it went to $6 on Jan 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Ive had dish at home for over 20 years.
You started your Dish service before they did in March of 1996?
And before they even launched their satellite in Dec. 1995.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnanday View Post
So, not exactly on topic, but close; How does one actually get service from DirecTV for their RV? I thought it would be an easy process. But, I've now talked to 11 different DirecTV "experts" over two different phone calls. Every conversation starts out the same, i tell them I have an RV, it already has an automatic dish, all I need is a receiver and service. They say, "No problem sir, let's get you set up." I proceed to give them all my contact info etc, then they start in with scheduling an installer to come out and put a dish on my roof...
I just went through this and might be able to help you out. Like you - my coach had a DirecTV satellite (a Wineguard Traveller for DirecTV) on the roof. My initial calls to DirecTV took the same route yours did ... they tried to treat me like a brand new customer and basically tried to set me up with a second account - complete with a 2nd bill for equipment AND my array of programming selections.

I don't know if DirecTV planned it this way ... or if it was just dumb luck ... but I finally managed to speak with somebody at DirecTV who understood what I was looking for. His instructions were simple. He told me to just order an additional receiver. I ordered an additional HD-DVR ($199) which was shipped to my home within 24 hours - and added to my existing account at the cost of $6.50 per month. I simply connected the incoming satellite feed to the new HD-DVR ... and connected the HDMI cable to my receiver and fired it up. I then walked thru the "on screen" instructions to set it up (which included a call to DirecTV to have the new received "activated"). I was up and running inside of 20 minutes - with all of the programming (including the premium stuff...) that I get at home EXCEPT for our local channels. Total costs: A one time charge of $199 for the HD-DVR ... and a recurring monthly charge of $6.50 for having another receiver on the account.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
You need to check your DirecTV bill more closely.
Those 2 receivers in the RV are costing you $13.00 a month or $156 a year plus any state tax if due. Has been that way since March 2015

Remotes can be bought in any Wally World for less then one month lease on the receivers. And just left in the RV.

The receivers in the RV are no different then the ones in the house. Either one will work in the RV or house with the proper Dish and setting in the receiver set up.

Last time it was $5 lease for a receiver was back in 2010 before it went to $6 on Jan 2011.

You started your Dish service before they did in March of 1996?
And before they even launched their satellite in Dec. 1995.
Maybe if you use a portable dish or one that doesn't work with HD you can use the same receiver. However we have an older (now obsolete) model of the Winegard Tra'vler. The only receiver that will work with this dish and provide HD service is the model H24. We don't have that model at the house so it required either changing out the one at home or leasing another one for the motorhome.

I checked with 6 different suppliers including the independent dealer that put up the tower for our dish at the house. Everyone of them told me the only receiver that would work with the Winegard dish we had on our motorhome was the H24.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:18 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I ordered an additional HD-DVR ($199) which was shipped to my home within 24 hours - and added to my existing account at the cost of $6.50 per month...
Thank you Norman. But, I have Verizon Fios at home. So, I'm only wanting to put the DirecTV service in the coach.

Every person I've talked to at DTV wants to have someone come out and add a dish to our home and i can't seem to understand that I don't want that, just a receiver and service.

It's hard to give these people my money.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:42 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
However we have an older (now obsolete) model of the Winegard Tra'vler. The only receiver that will work with this dish and provide HD service is the model H24. We don't have that model at the house so it required either changing out the one at home or leasing another one for the motorhome.
I also have the older Trav'ler model. One of the first ones that has only 3 outputs not 4 that the later models had.

I have a H25, HR34(Genie) and HR23 in the MH.
I converted my Trav'ler to a SWM dish myself for very little $$ from a kit bought on eBay.

Here is a $34.99 kit that will convert yours to a SWM. You will need to make 4 short cables to go from the Dish 4 outputs to the SWM 8 MULTI-SWITCH you mount on the roof close to the Dish. The Power Inserter goes inside the RV and a cable from it to your receiver. Or use the splitter to run up too 4 receivers.

After change over is done. Any receiver in your house will work in the RV.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:25 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
How Many Calls Does It Take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I just went through this and might be able to help you out. Like you - my coach had a DirecTV satellite (a Wineguard Traveller for DirecTV) on the roof. My initial calls to DirecTV took the same route yours did ... they tried to treat me like a brand new customer and basically tried to set me up with a second account - complete with a 2nd bill for equipment AND my array of programming selections.

I don't know if DirecTV planned it this way ... or if it was just dumb luck ... but I finally managed to speak with somebody at DirecTV who understood what I was looking for. His instructions were simple. He told me to just order an additional receiver. I ordered an additional HD-DVR ($199) which was shipped to my home within 24 hours - and added to my existing account at the cost of $6.50 per month. I simply connected the incoming satellite feed to the new HD-DVR ... and connected the HDMI cable to my receiver and fired it up. I then walked thru the "on screen" instructions to set it up (which included a call to DirecTV to have the new received "activated"). I was up and running inside of 20 minutes - with all of the programming (including the premium stuff...) that I get at home EXCEPT for our local channels. Total costs: A one time charge of $199 for the HD-DVR ... and a recurring monthly charge of $6.50 for having another receiver on the account.
We have a DTV account am I the exact same boat. NUMEROUS calls to DirectTV and it's always the same..."we will set you up for instillation". I get sent to "technical support" on almost every call and always to no avail. Guess I'll just keep calling in hopes I get someone who understands what I need. Congratulations on your success with DirectTV.

Tags
dish