Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2015, 07:26 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Direct TV or DISH

I am new to the availability of satellite tv in the RV. I just purchased a 2012 Discovery with an in motion satellite system and the sales person said I could just purchase a receiver and than pull my "card" out of my home system and use that on the road.

I am lost when it comes to this stuff. Any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2015, 07:32 AM   #2

Direct TV is the only way I would go. Service and knowledge. And no, one antenna will not work with the others receiver. It's a little more than that.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #3

The salesman may have been just a little disingenuous. I will be the first to admit I don't know everything, but I have some experience with DirectV. First, you do have to have a receiver, but they are paired with the cards. You can't just move them from one to the other. I used to just take my home receivers on the road with me, until I got HD at home. Now I have 2 dedicated receivers that cost me a total of $10 a month to keep in the rig. I do not believe the in motion dishes will support HD, which requires it find more than one satellite. The in motion satellite has to be programmed for the system you have. If you use receivers that are on your home account you will not get the local channels once you leave the local area. You can get distant network service (DNS) but that requires a separate account, which gets too rich for my blood. There are many other threads on this forum that you can search that will tell you much more than I can.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:03 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Shawn is correct on the card. They are "married" to the receiver so you can not swap them into another one. Your best bet if you have either provider at your sticks and bricks home is to get another receiver and pay the $5 (or whatever) a month then take it with you in the MH. Don't tell them you are planning to do this. One problem will be that when you leave your area the local channels may not work since they are "spot beamed" there meaning the signal is only sent to your area.

I would check with the manufacturer of the dish to see if it is HD compatible. AFAIK Directv HD will not work with one. Dish Network might.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #5

Why does everybody suggest spending $$ on a dedicated RV receiver? Simply take the main receiver from home when you travel. Of course you will need to duplicate the home system for your RV. Takes me no time at all to setup my Genie, internet bridge, and mini Genie in you RV.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:29 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Dish network has a "pay as you go" option which allows for varied billing when you are not using your RV. Direct TV does not offer this and I am not sure about any of the other vendors. I will say that customer service via the toll free number is a crap-shoot at best so be patient when you call. Good luck!
Old 10-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #7

Well Don, this is why I do it. It only took two times for me to realize that that forgetting the remote sucks. Moving the receivers is, IMHO, a big fat PITA. The $10 a month I pay is a small cost for the aggravation saved. Last but not least, now that we have custody of our 16 y/o grandson there are times when one of us is at home freezing precious body parts with the grandson and one is in the warmth basking in the sun. As I know the pecking order in our house, I have no desire to be without satellite TV.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #8

We have DIRECTV both at home and in the motorhome. Since the systems are different we need a different receiver for each. It initially cost $69.00 to lease a second receiver for the motorhome with no monthly fee. DIRECTV charges $5.00 per month for the service in addition to what we pay for the home system.

We can suspend the service for the motorhome when it's not in use, but in our case it's not worth it. The service can only be suspended in monthly increments. So if like us you use the motorhome every 3 to 4 weeks you'll be guessing as to whether you'll be able to save any money.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
Well Don, this is why I do it. It only took two times for me to realize that that forgetting the remote sucks. Moving the receivers is, IMHO, a big fat PITA. The $10 a month I pay is a small cost for the aggravation saved. Last but not least, now that we have custody of our 16 y/o grandson there are times when one of us is at home freezing precious body parts with the grandson and one is in the warmth basking in the sun. As I know the pecking order in our house, I have no desire to be without satellite TV.
LOL thats why I bought extra of everything except power supplies for the trailer. Nothing to forget, nothing extra to pay for. Being on a fixed income Im looking to not spend any more than necessary
Old 10-10-2015, 03:32 PM   #10

I am shocked that a salesman would make a statement that was not true ! I check everything out on the internet because I know they cannot lie ..............
Old 10-10-2015, 06:18 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
would never have direct again.........................I have 2 dish, one in the house the other in the motor home, extra unit in the mh cost is $10.00 pr month. Have complete hdtv with auto satellite , have complete coverage even in Alaska and beyond. Just leaving for 5 months this week..........it goes where we go............
Old 10-11-2015, 12:12 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Direct TV or DISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
....Being on a fixed income Im looking to not spend any more than necessary

Just out of curiosity, Donn, why is that different? We're all on fixed incomes. (Well the great majority of us, anyway.). I mean, even if you're a salaried employee in upper management, making six figures, your income is still fixed, and you can't just change it whenever you want.

And most people I've ever known are looking to not spend any more than necessary.

Enquiring minds want to know......

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:34 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We prefer Direct TV, but it's like the old Ford or Chevrolet thingy!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Just out of curiosity, Donn, why is that different? We're all on fixed incomes. (Well the great majority of us, anyway.). I mean, even if you're a salaried employee in upper management, making six figures, your income is still fixed, and you can't just change it whenever you want.

And most people I've ever known are looking to not spend any more than necessary.

Enquiring minds want to know......

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
Way off topic but I will give you an answer. "fixed" is a term that describes a person on "limited" income where money management is very important. "most people" that are not on a "fixed" income do not have to pay as close attention to the money they spend even though many should.

Because "most people" do not have to pay that close attention we have companies such as Starbucks, lettuce in a bag, cheese that is already sliced or grated, luxury vehicles, etc. My wife and I used to be six figure earners. We always watched our money but not at the level we have to today. As an example, when our income changed it was necessary for us to sell my wife's car even though it was paid for because it was worth more than we make in a year.

Hope this helps you to understand.

Tags
dish