Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Interesting site!!!!

I have a Garmon and didn't know it was capable of this. Do you have a Garmon and know how to set this up on it?
I have a Tom-Tom. But the directions were very clear. I was impressed for the price and it already paid for itself 1000 times over by alerting me to the low clearance. Its a POIn add-on. The Garmin instructions are probably just as clear. Let me know how it goes, Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzocfi View Post
Russ,

Where in Jacksonville were you? I have a couple friends there with a TT and a 5er.
We had come out of the city off hwy 1 N...I have an aversion to bridges over water...so this was my option. we missed one turn and
i think we ended up on 17N(???) Not real positive but it was at the north end of the city. But thats a perfect reason for having the POI on your GPS. Sometimes you just take a wrong turn or want to go a different route. I can't say enough about how happy we were to being alerted. The really cool thing is, you set the alerts for the specific heights that would affect your rig. So to be safe I set for a foot over my height on down.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have that program on an old TomTom GPS. It warns you about the low clearances and the price is right, BUT what they don't tell you is that it warns you when there's a low overpass within your preset distance, WHETHER IT'S ON YOUR ROUTE OR NOT! You can be on an interstate going through a large city and it will drive you crazy warning about low clearance on streets all around you! just my 2 cents.......

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anyone know if the RVND 7710(?) has this feature? Either already intstalled, or installable.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers
I have that program on an old TomTom GPS. It warns you about the low clearances and the price is right, BUT what they don't tell you is that it warns you when there's a low overpass within your preset distance, WHETHER IT'S ON YOUR ROUTE OR NOT! You can be on an interstate going through a large city and it will drive you crazy warning about low clearance on streets all around you! just my 2 cents.......
Ah ha! I have a few POIs loaded on my Garmin. With POIs, you can set a distance Alert. One is all the Harley Dealers in N.A. which I have set for 2 miles. The problem is, the alert goes off based on a line of site of 2 miles, has nothing to do with your route. This is fine for finding a dealer, but would certainly drive ya nuts looking for low clearence going down the interstate.

I have no need to install this, but if I did I would only use it on surface streets or 2 lanes.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor
Anyone know if the RVND 7710(?) has this feature? Either already intstalled, or installable.
Your GPS supports POIs (points of interest) so the answer is yes, according to the add. Your manual will explaing how to load POIs.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Russ,

Thanks so much. I will pass all this great info along.

bonzocfi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
I did some checking (not with Garmin) however, this app says: "Compatible with all other Garmin models that support the Garmin POI Loader software."

Since this works off of POIs and not the OP system and the Zumo does support POIs which I do use, it seems this will work on the Zumo.
I've a Zumo also for my bike!!

Any chance you'll list the instructions - way to upload this - for a TOTAL non-tech??????????
Old 06-19-2012, 05:50 AM   #23

Quote:

Any chance you'll list the instructions - way to upload this - for a TOTAL non-tech??????????
It is so simple to dwonload/upload. The instructions are very easy to understand and follow. Go to this link.
http://www.lowclearances.com/amember/go.php?r=1827&i=l0">LowClearances.com</a>
Old 06-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Get that POI file from that site and save to hard drive.

Go to the below link and download the Garmin POI Loader program for your computer (Mac or Windows)

Garmin: POI Loader Software Update Collection

Install the POI Loader program.

Take the USB cord that came with your Zumo, plug it into the bottom of the Zumo and the other end into a USB port. Wait until the computer recognizes the Zumo, which may take a few minutes.

Start the POI Loader program. Read the first screen, then select Next. Now Select Garmin Device and click Next. From the pull down menu, you will see zumo 550 and a unit number, that is the GPS. If you have an SD memory card also, there will be another selection "Zumo" followed by a drive letter. If you have an SD card, select that for Device and click Next. Now select "install new POIs to your device, click Next. Now select the file location you downloaded the file to, select units for speed/distance and the last option select Manual, click Next.

The next screen check "this file contains proximity points" and "Alert when you get close to point, now select Distance for the Alert and click Next. You are done with this step. After unplugging the Zumo, it will restart and tell you it has found new data, just answer yes to import it. You are done.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #25

Clyon51:

WOW!!!!!!!! Simple it's not. But with this level of instruction, even I may get this done.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That's why you should know your height and watch the road signs.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Clyon51:

WOW!!!!!!!! Simple it's not. But with this level of instruction, even I may get this done.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!
Yes! Clyon51, That's the type of instruction some of us need.
Thanks again.

My 10 y/o G-son can show me more about my computer than my 40 y/o electrical engineer son can. (Different levels of understanding)
GWinger
Old 06-21-2012, 07:06 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Clyon51:

THANKS!!!!!!!!!
You're welcome. I made one small mistake in those instructions. The POI Loader does not require you to install it. After you download it, it's ready to run as is. (PoiLoader.exe)

If you or anyone needs more help, feel free to PM me.