Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5
Disaster Averted!!!

How come there are still over passes that still exist that could absolutely detroy a persons TT? We were driving through Jacksonville, FL and my GPS started making this Cuckoo sound. I had no idea what was happening....about five seconds later, it hit me....I set that sound to notify me whenever a low clearance overpass was on my current route! The DW looked at the GPS and it told us a overpass measuing 10'3" was 5000 feet ahead on our route. WOW! You know, you are driving along, enjoying the world around you and it would be so easy to just drive up on this thing and it would just ruin your day, week month and year. We had time to avert the disaster. We just bought our TT in April and I saw all the videos of people forgetting they are towing a house on wheels and hitting overpasses, banks, etc. I was very concerned so I did the research. I found this website, LowClearances.com. It has downloads for over 5000 low clearances in the US for Tom-Toms, Garmin and others. This is absolutely the best thing I ever did. I just can't imaging the devastation of hiting an overpass. If anyone is intersted try this link, Happy and Safe camping everyone.
http://www.lowclearances.com/amember/go.php?r=1827&i=l0">LowClearances.com

Russ
2012 Shadow Cruiser 285RLS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500
5.7L Hemi
__________________

__________________
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
greystroke's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 1,150
Sounds good I might give it a try
__________________

__________________
98 Endeavor DP, ISB275
RX300, Falcon II hitch, BB Vantage Select
VMSpc, 2002 Grey Ford Powerstroke
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Just For Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusLwt001 View Post
How come there are still over passes that still exist that could absolutely detroy a persons TT? We were driving through Jacksonville, FL and my GPS started making this Cuckoo sound. I had no idea what was happening....about five seconds later, it hit me....I set that sound to notify me whenever a low clearance overpass was on my current route! The DW looked at the GPS and it told us a overpass measuing 10'3" was 5000 feet ahead on our route. WOW! You know, you are driving along, enjoying the world around you and it would be so easy to just drive up on this thing and it would just ruin your day, week month and year. We had time to avert the disaster. We just bought our TT in April and I saw all the videos of people forgetting they are towing a house on wheels and hitting overpasses, banks, etc. I was very concerned so I did the research. I found this website, LowClearances.com. It has downloads for over 5000 low clearances in the US for Tom-Toms, Garmin and others. This is absolutely the best thing I ever did. I just can't imaging the devastation of hiting an overpass. If anyone is intersted try this link, Happy and Safe camping everyone.
http://www.lowclearances.com/amember/go.php?r=1827&i=l0">LowClearances.com

Russ
2012 Shadow Cruiser 285RLS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500
5.7L Hemi

Interesting site!!!!

I have a Garmon and didn't know it was capable of this. Do you have a Garmon and know how to set this up on it?
__________________
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Interesting site!!!!

I have a Garmon and didn't know it was capable of this. Do you have a Garmon and know how to set this up on it?
Yes, I'm interested in how to make this work with my Garmin ZUMO 550 also.
GWinger
__________________
GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
bonzocfi's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 416
Russ,

Where in Jacksonville were you? I have a couple friends there with a TT and a 5er.
__________________
2005 Dutch Star 4009 - 2006 Toyota Tacoma or 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
H. Miller's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,523
And there's a sale on - $14.99 for a years updates
__________________
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4"girls" (3 Irish Setters - 1 Retriever) - RIP Annie
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
clyon51's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona West RV Park, Yuma, Az
Posts: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWinger
Yes, I'm interested in how to make this work with my Garmin ZUMO 550 also.
GWinger
The Zumo as is, does not have this capability as it is a motorcycle unit. I've had one for 5 years. I'm going to check with Garmin, but it would need a new op system as well as additional storage for all that data.
__________________
John & Clare Lyon
2007 43.5' Monaco Dynasty Palace III (All Electric)
Towd: 2011 Chevy Equinox
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
srx-6's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusLwt001 View Post
How come there are still over passes that still exist that could absolutely detroy a persons TT? We were driving through Jacksonville, FL and my GPS started making this Cuckoo sound. I had no idea what was happening....about five seconds later, it hit me....I set that sound to notify me whenever a low clearance overpass was on my current route! The DW looked at the GPS and it told us a overpass measuing 10'3" was 5000 feet ahead on our route. WOW! You know, you are driving along, enjoying the world around you and it would be so easy to just drive up on this thing and it would just ruin your day, week month and year. We had time to avert the disaster. We just bought our TT in April and I saw all the videos of people forgetting they are towing a house on wheels and hitting overpasses, banks, etc. I was very concerned so I did the research. I found this website, LowClearances.com. It has downloads for over 5000 low clearances in the US for Tom-Toms, Garmin and others. This is absolutely the best thing I ever did. I just can't imaging the devastation of hiting an overpass. If anyone is intersted try this link, Happy and Safe camping everyone.
http://www.lowclearances.com/amember/go.php?r=1827&i=l0">LowClearances.com

Russ
2012 Shadow Cruiser 285RLS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500
5.7L Hemi
As an old truck driver, I have seen this happen many times. The trick is to pay attention.
__________________
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
As an old truck driver, I have seen this happen many times. The trick is to pay attention.


Pay attention while driving? Now that is a novel concept.Probably never become popular.
__________________
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
Member
 
Startech's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Scouting for fun
Posts: 97
For those that cant add this gem to their GPS, here is a free site to check. For those that can add this gem to their GPS, how about contributing to this link?

Low Clearances



WOW!
"Palm Ave Jacksonville- I-95 overpass 8'6" "
__________________
Greg-Full time since 2/2011
2004 Country Coach Inspire 360 with a 14,000 lb car hauler for the Jeep
Startech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
4Knights's Avatar
 
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6

As an old truck driver, I have seen this happen many times. The trick is to pay attention.
srx-6,
Are you saying your old or you drove an old truck?
__________________
Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,892
I've been looking for this download for my GPS...what a great App
__________________
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
My Garmin GPS 465T has this feature built into it already.

I remember one place in NY on I-390 that the GPS sent me around a specific overpass but it must have been OLD data as the overpass was over 16feet high. I am only 12.5 feet.

My recommendation is too know your height in both American Standard and Metric, write it on a 3/5 card, place it near the driver's area and when you approach an overpass with the height posted, you can glance at the card just to refresh your memory.

Keep in mind that if you see an overpass that is close to your height, the posted sign may NOT be true due to the number of times new pavement has been laid down.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
clyon51's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona West RV Park, Yuma, Az
Posts: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
The Zumo as is, does not have this capability as it is a motorcycle unit. I've had one for 5 years. I'm going to check with Garmin, but it would need a new op system as well as additional storage for all that data.
I did some checking (not with Garmin) however, this app says: "Compatible with all other Garmin models that support the Garmin POI Loader software."

Since this works off of POIs and not the OP system and the Zumo does support POIs which I do use, it seems this will work on the Zumo.
__________________

__________________
John & Clare Lyon
2007 43.5' Monaco Dynasty Palace III (All Electric)
Towd: 2011 Chevy Equinox
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.