Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #1

Question Discount camping clubs

So far the large clubs with big membership fees don't seem to fit the bill but the Passport America offerd from Good Sam and Camping world doesn't seem to bad. Average of $40 a year for a 50 % discount even if I only hit a few parks during the years it appears it would pay for its self but I'm looking here to see if there are any bad experiences or catches I can't find in the small print.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #2

Don't know why you would not buy direct from PA, but to each his own. PA is, IMO, well worth purchasing. Each campground has their own restrictions but, especially for overnights or short stays, we find we recover the cost very quickly.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #3

Thanks, didn't know I could go direct to PA but will look into it after I type this. It is answers like these that make me glad I belong to this group. Thatnks again.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #4

Chkd PA site

When to PA site and right now Campimg World offer is cheaper by $10 for the 3 year plan. But it does alway help to shop and compare thats why I ask.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
PassportAmerica is a good deal IF you use it. It can save you a lot of money, it does us anyway. Like was said earlier, each campground has its own restrictions so you have to do your homework to find those that work best for you. In most cases, just overnighting a few times more than pays for the membership. We also have used it numerous times for several day stays at CG's. But you have to use it, dont let it collect dust.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
PA & Campers World/Goodsam have mergedor are in the process.

We purchased PA & saved well over the yearly fee the first two weeks we used it. If we don't use it again this year we are ahead of the game.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #7

FYI - Passport America has a referral reward program so if you have a friend who has PA and you tell PA you were recommended (they have a form for that) the friend who recommends you gets a discount on his next renewal. (I'm assuming they still do that)
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had Camp Club USA because of one campground that we used and it more than paid for the membership. Now that Passport America and Camp Club have merged it gives you more options. Most parks have all kinds of restrictions placed on their usage but if you have participating campgrounds on the route that you travel, it could be worth it.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you don't buy but one, PA the one.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
If you don't buy but one, PA the one.
Ditto.

Some of these types of "investments" only pay off if you're a full timer and really make sure you try to use them... but PA is a hands down no brainer to purchase. As stated above... most often you'll find PA being great for over night stays while you travel... although it's possible to find PA parks that will give you the discount for slightly extended periods if you ask.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by meterguru View Post
So far the large clubs with big membership fees don't seem to fit the bill but the Passport America offerd from Good Sam and Camping world doesn't seem to bad. Average of $40 a year for a 50 % discount even if I only hit a few parks during the years it appears it would pay for its self but I'm looking here to see if there are any bad experiences or catches I can't find in the small print.
Am I reading this correctly? A $40 membership and you can save 50% on parks?

I have Good Sam and get the 10% off CG's, and even that alone has paid for itself with using it. Never heard of one offering 50% off. I need to look into this. Are there very many participating parks? If the CG"s I go to participate I'd gladly pay $40 a year for a membership that gave me a 50% discount. It would pay for itself very quickly. There must be something here I am not understanding.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadedDancer View Post
Am I reading this correctly? A $40 membership and you can save 50% on parks?

I have Good Sam and get the 10% off CG's, and even that alone has paid for itself with using it. Never heard of one offering 50% off. I need to look into this. Are there very many participating parks? If the CG"s I go to participate I'd gladly pay $40 a year for a membership that gave me a 50% discount. It would pay for itself very quickly. There must be something here I am not understanding.
I don't think you're missing anything but be aware that most PA parks have a LOT of restrictions as to when you can receive the discount. That's why you've seen the cautions that it most usable for overnight stays because many/most PA parks limit the number of nights to low traffic times for obvious reasons. Don't be disappointed to find out that nearly all of the Florida parks don't offer PA discounts during winter months for example.

I think the point is that using it only for two nights will often times cover the cost of membership and it's pretty easy to do that if you travel much at all. On the other hand if you take the same trips and stay at the same parks for extended periods of time, it might not work out as well... but for $40 I still feel it's a no brainer for us.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 02-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I don't think you're missing anything but be aware that most PA parks have a LOT of restrictions as to when you can receive the discount. That's why you've seen the cautions that it most usable for overnight stays because many/most PA parks limit the number of nights to low traffic times for obvious reasons. Don't be disappointed to find out that nearly all of the Florida parks don't offer PA discounts during winter months for example.

I think the point is that using it only for two nights will often times cover the cost of membership and it's pretty easy to do that if you travel much at all. On the other hand if you take the same trips and stay at the same parks for extended periods of time, it might not work out as well... but for $40 I still feel it's a no brainer for us.

Rick
I normally do short trips anyway, since I work full time we only get a week long trip a time or two a year. Usually its a weekend, or a three day weekend. That is why I am thinking maybe it would work out to my advantage. I am going to look into it more.

Thanks for your response!
Old 02-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadedDancer View Post
I normally do short trips anyway, since I work full time we only get a week long trip a time or two a year. Usually its a weekend, or a three day weekend. That is why I am thinking maybe it would work out to my advantage. I am going to look into it more.

Thanks for your response!
As the saying goes.... "you'll be glad you did!"

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD

Tags
camping