Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2004, 04:58 PM   #1

We now have Directv and are thinking of switching to Dish Network. I'm looking at the top 120 package, no local. The new receiver would come with a dish 500 dual LNB is my understanding and I would install it on the house. Our motorhome has a Winegard single LNB. If I took the Dish Network receiver in the motorhome when we travel, how many of the channels that I would see using the Dish 500 would I not see using the roof mounted single LNB on the motorhome?????

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2004, 04:58 PM   #2

We now have Directv and are thinking of switching to Dish Network. I'm looking at the top 120 package, no local. The new receiver would come with a dish 500 dual LNB is my understanding and I would install it on the house. Our motorhome has a Winegard single LNB. If I took the Dish Network receiver in the motorhome when we travel, how many of the channels that I would see using the Dish 500 would I not see using the roof mounted single LNB on the motorhome?????

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 05:49 PM   #3

I dont know the answere for that, but, I have a dish 500 and was told that it recieves off of two different satellites. If thats any help.

2003 Monark w/125h.p. Merc
Tombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 06:26 PM   #4

Right about the two different satellites, but top 120 is on the same one the Dish 300 or the one on the motorhome is on. The second one the 500 receives is "local chan and movies". At least thats what I was told. Now, will a 500 reciever work in the MH? Will my MH receiver work on a 500 dish if I put one on my "stick hose"?

Bruce
Old 08-09-2004, 06:36 PM   #5

Your roof mounted dish would probably be set for the satelite at 119 deg and would recieve most of the dish network programming. You might be able to move it at times for the 110 satelite for the remaining programming. I don't know how many channels are on each satelite but that info might be available on the dish network web pages.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:05 PM   #6
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
The difference in the 2 are the double LNB and the switch . It is one cable from the switch to the receiver. If you got the LNB and switch, put the switch after the LNB and connect the switch to the incoming cable. You get the exact directions on the screen and can tune it in. I am not sure about the automatic finders, if they will go for the difference. The only other thing would be the Skew setting , the dish is not totally round and is adjusted to see both satellites. I have the 500 and use it on the ground. ( Its a pop up) It dose take a little to get it in and have had trees block good Sig on 110 but I get all the channels.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:59 PM   #7

I believe with the single LNB and the 120 package you will get just about everything in the package. When you expand to the 180 package you get most of the additional channels on 110. ie..DIY, Halmark, and many of the movie channels that come with the package. A satellite finder will work and you will tune to 119.

If you elect to get a Dish 500 for the MH I would suggest you get a dual LNB instead of the Twin. I labeled each cable (there are two) with a paint stick. ONe is 110 and the other 119. When I set up I hook up my satellite finder to 119 to get the strongest signal. 110 just falls in. This is of course if you have the proper skew, which is a slight cocking or rotation of the dish. I have been doing this for over two years and have no problems getting both Sat to come in. I have never tried to bring in the signal with the twin but was told by the installer that it is more difficult. He actually sets up the dish using the dual then swithes the lnb's out after tuning.

btw..locals come with the Super Dish which picks up 3 sats.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:51 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We currently have Dish and it works fine. Yes we have to switch between the 2 sats but it is really easy. We write down the 2 settings and it takes about 20 seconds to switch. We just got the auto tracking system and there is a button on the hand control that does the switching for us. I like it well enough that I will stay with dish tv.
jphansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:53 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: After getting a zip code directory for dish pointing and going through the manual pointing routine we got a TracVision L3 and really like the no hassle approach. As Pat points out you can get both satellites (110 and 119) but unlike the dish you use at home you must push a switch to change from one to the other. The only downside is the cost of the tracking antenna system. It also has a little less link margin because the dish is smaller than the fixed antenna. This means that a heavy rain will usually take out reception. We actually didn't find that out until we traveled to the east coast.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:51 PM   #10

Hey Dirk and Katie,
How long have you had your L3 and would you recommend it?
Is the in-motion tracking as good as they say?
Shopping for a system to use with my Dish Network account and 2 sat tuners on board.
Thanx,
Joe
Old 03-27-2005, 03:25 AM   #11

Dirk, and others, just for information prupose only, I was going to get a Zip Code Directory also, then next trip out with "Dish in the MH", I noticed that every Post Office has the Zip Code on the outside of the building, Great!

I thought, then "Dummy ME", my Street Atlas software on my laptop, used with GPS, also has Zip Codes on it! Just move the mouse, and low and behold on the bottom right connor "ZIP Codes appear! Now I have it no more "What Zip code are we in out here in no-where land"?

Bruce