Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Have both and use both, almost every time we camp. Dishwasher only uses 1.5 gallons ad water.
Tamatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We full time in our coach, and had the dishwasher removed and replaced with 2 deep drawers for pots and pans. We do use the washer/dryer, but are considering removing it to make room for a litter box for our 3 kitties. The small washer/dryers can only handle small loads, and I don't feel it gets the clothes as clean as a full size machine, but there is the convenience factor. I have also heard from several people that the combo washer/dryer doesn't perform well and takes forever to do a single load of laundry. Good luck in your decision.
Navimama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #17

Just installed a stackable washer and dryer in our fulltimer 5th and love it. Clothes get just as clean as our home unit did.
FatJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As full-timers, we have dishwasher and w/d combo and wouldn't want to do without them. It's not that we're lazy... it's a matter of time management. It takes just moments to throw a load in the w/d combo and go on with doing something else. Going to a public laundry takes just too much time.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #19

We had a W/D in each of our Class As and that is about the only thing we miss in our downsized B+. Used them every couple of days.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #20

Triple E Owners Club
Sometime back when I first learned about hiking (not walking) I was told NO cotton anywhere . It holds moisture and will not dry (except in the desert). So I bought shirts, pants, underwear etc. that are made of nylon or similar material from places like REI. Then I read from some travel tour companies (Rick Steve) that you can travel around the world with only a carry-on bag . They are right, we spent 19 days touring Italy last month and no laundry, just the sink or shower. After a day of hiking or walking you step into the shower with your clothes on that need washing and wash Everything . most everything will dry overnight or at least by midday next. Might not work if you need fancy dress up clothes but unless it is coat and tie affair, our clothes are stylish enough for RV'ing for sure . So no, I do not have a dish washer (cheap paper plates mostly and elbow grease) nor a W/D.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #21

It is a personal preference thing.

We are fulltime and always busy.

We consider 90 minutes every 2weeks and 6 bucks in a good, clean laundromat, while doing email or shopping, to be a better than even trade-off for the space, weight, and multi loads at 2.5 hours each.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
We use our mh full time between May and October. Our previous coach just had the combo w/d and it was used primarily for a dirty clothes hamper and would use the park's laundry room once a week. Just once in a great while would we use the w/d combo for its intended purpose. In our opinion, it was just a waste of valuable storage space. I was the dishwasher.

In our new coach, it has the stacked w/d and we use them almost daily and never have to go to the Park's laundry room again except for washing large quilts. The dishwasher gets used whenever we cook inside and make a lot of dirty dishes/pot/pans....but typically we cook outside on our outdoor kitchen and use paper plates so dishwashing is done by hand as there are usually only a few utensils and glasses to wash. I still haven't past judgement on the dishwasher yet but probably if given a choice I wouldn't have one as the two of us just don't make that many dirty dishes to warrant using it daily.

So, in my opinion.....the combo w/d is a joke! The stacked w/d are essential if you spend a LOT of days consecutively in your coach....2 or 3 days a week...well, I think you probably wouldn't use it very much. Same for the dishwasher.

However, if you find that you might (in the future) spend more time in your coach, both would be a positive thing...otherwise I'd forgo both.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
We use our mh full time between May and October. Our previous coach just had the combo w/d and it was used primarily for a dirty clothes hamper and would use the park's laundry room once a week. Just once in a great while would we use the w/d combo for its intended purpose. In our opinion, it was just a waste of valuable storage space. I was the dishwasher. In our new coach, it has the stacked w/d and we use them almost daily and never have to go to the Park's laundry room again except for washing large quilts. The dishwasher gets used whenever we cook inside and make a lot of dirty dishes/pot/pans....but typically we cook outside on our outdoor kitchen and use paper plates so dishwashing is done by hand as there are usually only a few utensils and glasses to wash. I still haven't past judgement on the dishwasher yet but probably if given a choice I wouldn't have one as the two of us just don't make that many dirty dishes to warrant using it daily. So, in my opinion.....the combo w/d is a joke! The stacked w/d are essential if you spend a LOT of days consecutively in your coach....2 or 3 days a week...well, I think you probably wouldn't use it very much. Same for the dishwasher. However, if you find that you might (in the future) spend more time in your coach, both would be a positive thing...otherwise I'd forgo both. Ron
Just a short rebuttal to your " combo w/d is a joke" statement. The vented combo unit is no joke. My wife and I have lived in our coach full time for going on 7 years now We have a combo Splindide unit and in that time have only visited a commercial laundry on a few occasions to do a comforter.

If we had the choice today between a combo and stacked units we would still choose the combo as the best compromise between function and space.

Just another informed opinion.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Steve... your opinion is very well respected. Maybe my choice of the word "joke" was uncalled for and not really in good taste here.

Our five year experience with the combo washer/dryer left us with a negative outlook. We found that by washing a full load, we would have to remove half of it in order to use the dryer effectively and still it would take forever to dry and normally everything came out with lots and lots of wrinkles. At the same time, by using the dryer, we could not use the washer until the dryer was finished. Running one full load (which isn't very much to begin with) would take us four or five hours....and yes, the dryer was vented.

We found it much easier to run the load in the park's laundry and be done with it in a little over one hour. We have had a few bad experiences using the park's laundry, but for the most part it was ok.

We now have a stacked w/d and while it still can't handle the loads the park's laundry machines can, it will do three of the combo's load in less time than our combo unit could do one.

Granted, with the combo unit, if you do a small load each day or every other day, you can keep up with the dirty clothes being generated by the two of you....

Again, sorry if my "joke" remark offended you...not intentional.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Steve... your opinion is very well respected. Maybe my choice of the word "joke" was uncalled for and not really in good taste here. Our five year experience with the combo washer/dryer left us with a negative outlook. We found that by washing a full load, we would have to remove half of it in order to use the dryer effectively and still it would take forever to dry and normally everything came out with lots and lots of wrinkles. At the same time, by using the dryer, we could not use the washer until the dryer was finished. Running one full load (which isn't very much to begin with) would take us four or five hours....and yes, the dryer was vented. We found it much easier to run the load in the park's laundry and be done with it in a little over one hour. We have had a few bad experiences using the park's laundry, but for the most part it was ok. We now have a stacked w/d and while it still can't handle the loads the park's laundry machines can, it will do three of the combo's load in less time than our combo unit could do one. Granted, with the combo unit, if you do a small load each day or every other day, you can keep up with the dirty clothes being generated by the two of you.... Again, sorry if my "joke" remark offended you...not intentional. Ron
No harm, no foul. I was not offended just wanted to be sure an opposing point of view was represented. The combo did not meet your requirements and it did meet ours. I'm a little surprised your experience was so negative. Did you have the non vented model by any chance? I understand it's much slower and many people are not happy with its performance.

Safe travels.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #26

I have all three, a dish washer, a laundry, and a Bed Maker. She does such a wonderful job....
Old 10-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Previous owner removed dish washer and stacked washer/dryer.

We don't miss the dish washer. Removing it gave us a nice "junk drawer" along with a second drawer for kitchen stuff.

We installed a stacked washer/dryer and use it A LOT! It is nice to be able to wash things on our schedule without running to a laundromat. I am an avid bicyclist and have to wash my riding gear as soon as I get home to keep Sandee happy. LOL We wouldn't have it any other way...FOR US!

But as with all things...YMMV.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
By the way... for those complaining about wrinkles in the combo units, there is a remedy and I believe it is in the manual. To take it one step further, I set the dry time for 20 minutes shorter than I think it needs. When I come back in and find the damp clothes, I remove them, fold them and place them back in the dryer to complete (cycle number 5 for 20 minutes). When complete, remove and fold.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish