Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Disposable Carpet Runners

My local Freightliner dealer now farms out RV repairs to a nearby diesel truck repair shop that they bought out. It’s obvious that this place doesn’t do many RV’s, as they got grease all over my carpeting when I got my motorhome back. They offered to clean my carpet when I complained, but I’d like to prevent this from happening again.

Anyone know where I can purchase a roll of disposable carpet runners?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe Home Depot carries that.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
3 ft. x 250 ft. Clear 2 mil Temporary Carpet Protection Film-70-150 at The Home Depot
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Occasionally the Dollar Store will have carpet remnants. They're usually "doormat" size - very approximately 18" X 30". We keep several and when the outdoors starts to come indoors on our feet or I'm doing some kind of dirty work we'll put as many as needed to shield the carpet. At a buck apiece we don't feel too bad tossing them when they get dirty. They are particularly well suited for this application since the thread appears to be made from recycled plastic and the weave is coarse.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #5

That is very good temporary protection for your carpeting. We've used it on several occasions in our 5er. We found out the hard way that it is not made for long-term use, the sticky eventually comes off when removed, leaving a sticky carpet.
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That is very good temporary protection for your carpeting. We've used it on several occasions in our 5er. We found out the hard way that it is not made for long-term use, the sticky eventually comes off when removed, leaving a sticky carpet.
I just bought the similar product at Lowes yesterday and yes, the package instructions state it is temporary protection for up to 30 days and it would be perfect for careless mechanic's footsteps. I can attest to the fact that it will leave a sticky residue if left on for long periods of time. The 250' package was $45.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The self stick plastic carpet protector. Great idea to do before taking the MH in for service. Thanks!
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN
X 2 - and it take some shampoo and elbow grease to get it up. Carpet was a light grey and glue actually looked gold or bronze - you could see it, not just feel it.

The thicker plastic with "cleats" works better. But shouldn't be left down long term either IMHO - flattens out carpet and while the indentions come back up it can't be good for the carpet. Actual carpet runners might be best bet.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #9

We have used the product from Lowe's with good results. Also used it on the screen door as a storm door for hot weather to keep the AC in!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
carpet protection

How about that stuff that car dealers plaster on the carpets of used cars that says "we protected your carpet"? Seems to me that would be some pretty cheap stuff.
chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuydog View Post
How about that stuff that car dealers plaster on the carpets of used cars that says "we protected your carpet"? Seems to me that would be some pretty cheap stuff.
I thought of that as well since the disposable carpet film is so expensive.

As an alternative, I bought a 4X200 foot roll of thick craft paper (butcher paper) on Amazon for $28. Not sure how well it will hold up, but it's worth a try…

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote