Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2008, 06:50 AM   #1

I just hate throwing away those 1 lb. "disposable" propane cylinders--Such a waste. I do have a 5 lb. refillable tank, but still carry a couple of the small ones as a backup, since I invariably run out of propane in the middle of a steak.
I see you can get an adapter to refill the disposable cylinders from a regular tank. Does that work?
As much as I hate government controlling everything in our lives, I would not mind seeing a requirement for a hefty deposit and mandatory return to the dealer on the disposables. I'm surprised the People's Republic of California hasn't already done so.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:50 AM   #2

I just hate throwing away those 1 lb. "disposable" propane cylinders--Such a waste. I do have a 5 lb. refillable tank, but still carry a couple of the small ones as a backup, since I invariably run out of propane in the middle of a steak.
I see you can get an adapter to refill the disposable cylinders from a regular tank. Does that work?
As much as I hate government controlling everything in our lives, I would not mind seeing a requirement for a hefty deposit and mandatory return to the dealer on the disposables. I'm surprised the People's Republic of California hasn't already done so.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I found one of those adapters at harbor freight. It cost about 20 bucks and it has been my experience that you can only get a cylinder half to 3/4 full using it. But that's still better than tossing them away.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:28 PM   #4

Please understand that it's illegal to transport the refilled disposable tanks.

That being said, I've done it before and will probably do it again. You need to check the valves occasionally to make sure they don't leak.

J

HeatAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I have a refill adapter and it sort of works. Can be a pin at times and it doesn't really get the bottles full again, unless perhaps you get them really, really cold before refilling. I use my 5 lb portable much of the time, so don't need many bottles. I buy a few bottles for backup when I see them on sale and mostly don't refill them any more. Too much hassle for too little gain. And I've had a few refills leak on me too.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #6

I refill them all the time. Put the bottle to be refilled in the freezer (for a long time). Lubricate the relief value with a WD-40 type product. I have reused the bottles several times.
RVwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #7

Used a 5 ib. tank for years. Don't fool with the disposable bottles.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:14 PM   #8

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Please understand that it's illegal to transport the refilled disposable tanks.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just curious, but, how would anyone know if you've refilled a disposable tank? I've never done it so maybe there's some "telltale" sign that I'm not aware of. Can someone explain? About the only "telltale" sign I can think of is possessing the equipment to do the refilling; and even then, how could they prove you refilled a tank unless you were actually caught in the act.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank P. Martin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Please understand that it's illegal to transport the refilled disposable tanks.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just curious, but, how would anyone know if you've refilled a disposable tank? I've never done it so maybe there's some "telltale" sign that I'm not aware of. Can someone explain? About the only "telltale" sign I can think of is possessing the equipment to do the refilling; and even then, how could they prove you refilled a tank unless you were actually caught in the act. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do they know? They don't, unless you tell.

In my opinion, the only way they may possibly know is if the valves are leaking and that's not a guarantee. I've never seen a valve leak when I've got it at a store

I really don't want to get into this, but in my opinion, it's another way the government gets into your life. People elected by us want to get deeply involved in our lives where they should butt out. What we do is our responsibility, not someone that sits hundreds of miles away in their gilded palace.

enough said....

Old 07-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #10

Oh, another thing.

My actions may affect others. In that case, my actions should be held responsible if they affect others. If it does something to me, it's a latent Darwin award.....

Sorry if this offends your sensibilities.

J

Old 07-06-2008, 04:08 PM   #11

UPDATE, 7/9: Frank Martin pointed out I was wrong in my opinions, and he is correct, I was.
Some research revealed this throwaway cylinder refilling procedure, which all sounds quite logical to me. I may tomorrow visit my local Ace hardware store to buy the componets listed on the website, and build a refilling gizmo myself.

In my opinion it's a waste of my time and effort. Lets' look at realities. With ALL upright LPG cylinders under 100# in size(excluding motor fuel) required to be fitted with a OPD valve, getting liquid propane out of the cylinder is practically impossible, you can only get gasesous propane. Reason, The internal float rises to the top when filling the cylinder and closes the valve. When you invert the cylinder, the float falls to the cylinder top(remember, you inverted the cylinder) and closes the valve. This means you are only "re-filling" that disposable cylinder with gas at whatever pressure is in the providing cylinder.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #12

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When you invert the cylinder, the float falls to the cylinder top(remember, you inverted the cylinder) and closes the valve. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh? I'm no expert on propane tanks and OPD valves, but why wouldn't the float rise in the opposite direction (towards the bottom of the tank) when the tank's inverted? The liquid propane wound create buoyancy on the float the same as it does when the tank's upright.

The only way I can see the OPD valve remaining closed on an inverted tank is if there wasn't sufficient liquid propane remaining in the tank to allow the float to rise.

However, I did find the information below on the RV Basics website concerning the transporting of propane tanks. They said:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> A safety note for you: Propane cylinders of the DoT design must be transported and stored in an upright position so the pressure relief device will function properly. Laying the cylinder on its side in the trunk of your car is a potentially very dangerous situation.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would think that an inverted propane tank would fall under this rule too.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:15 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Please understand that it's illegal to transport the refilled disposable tanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure if it's illegal in some places or not. Rather than "refilled," I wonder, if HeatAir meant any small propane cylinder?

Since most storage places on a coach and toad are not ventilated and can get pretty hot and you're not supposed to carry them in the passenger area, my question is where to store them?
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:58 AM   #14

That "do not transport" is just like the "do not remove, under penalty of law" tag on pillows.

Does not apply to you, the purchaser, fill away!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote