Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #1

Angry Dissapointing setup

Hi folks, I suppose I'm posting this just to vent. My wife and I looked for a new travel trailerfor many months. I kept comming back to a Keystone Cougar 24RLS. Where they get there sizing from? It's 30'+ . I traded in an excellent Jayco 25RKS(28'?). These manufactures need new rulers! I degress. I arrived at 8AM and was immediately run around my trade-in unit. Start this open this wheres this and that. Everything was as I stated and in excellent condition. Then I was required to take my trade-in and park it for them at a service dept down the road. Quickly. I was run thru the new unit with a guy that must have taken a speed talking course. I was continually slowing him down. By the way this was a wednesday and only 2 customers picking up at a big dealership. Im a stckler for tires and air pressure and I stopoed mr speed and ask if he checked all the tires and aired to the reguired 65 psi. Yes was his reply and all are at 65 psi. They readjusted my hitch and brake control and said goid to go and everything checked. Made it 2 miles and had to pull in a mall to adjust tge brakes as they were locking up if you breathed on them. I decided to try everything I could. Returned to service to have front door latch/lock replaced that was bent and wouldn't take a key in either key hole. The rear grey tank had no handle. Once home after two other stops to further adjust brake controller I checked everything front to rear. TV remote will not work, shower hose leaking around both connections, one cannot be fixed as the connectors are mismatched sizes, bathroom
faucet plugged and would not work(Ifixed),tires 40,52,50,60 and 45 spare!(why did I bother to ask), large hole you could put a football thru in the polar pack at the rear grey water drain where the maintenance guy put the handle on WHICH FELL OFF ON WAY HOME, rear outside grill connection frozen up and took an hour to pull down and allow connection, supplied grill hose at least a foot too short to use, one wheel torque mayby 50 lb the rest 110-120 ok.
I picked this dealership specificly because of the service I received with my previous purchase.
Any dealership that would allow an unsafe travel trailer off the lot ....I consider the air pressures and the one wheel untorqued extremely dangerous....will never get my business again. Why lie when I ask about the tires being aired properly?
Just really pissed off. The QC from Keystone leaves a bad taste in my mouth also.
p.s. no tools supplied to lower or raise stabilizers or retract slide room if power fails.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan2 View Post
Hi folks, I suppose I'm posting this just to vent. My wife and I looked for a new travel trailerfor many months. I kept comming back to a Keystone Cougar 24RLS. Where they get there sizing from? It's 30'+ . I traded in an excellent Jayco 25RKS(28'?). These manufactures need new rulers! I degress. I arrived at 8AM and was immediately run around my trade-in unit. Start this open this wheres this and that. Everything was as I stated and in excellent condition. Then I was required to take my trade-in and park it for them at a service dept down the road. Quickly. I was run thru the new unit with a guy that must have taken a speed talking course. I was continually slowing him down. By the way this was a wednesday and only 2 customers picking up at a big dealership. Im a stckler for tires and air pressure and I stopoed mr speed and ask if he checked all the tires and aired to the reguired 65 psi. Yes was his reply and all are at 65 psi. They readjusted my hitch and brake control and said goid to go and everything checked. Made it 2 miles and had to pull in a mall to adjust tge brakes as they were locking up if you breathed on them. I decided to try everything I could. Returned to service to have front door latch/lock replaced that was bent and wouldn't take a key in either key hole. The rear grey tank had no handle. Once home after two other stops to further adjust brake controller I checked everything front to rear. TV remote will not work, shower hose leaking around both connections, one cannot be fixed as the connectors are mismatched sizes, bathroom
faucet plugged and would not work(Ifixed),tires 40,52,50,60 and 45 spare!(why did I bother to ask), large hole you could put a football thru in the polar pack at the rear grey water drain where the maintenance guy put the handle on WHICH FELL OFF ON WAY HOME, rear outside grill connection frozen up and took an hour to pull down and allow connection, supplied grill hose at least a foot too short to use, one wheel torque mayby 50 lb the rest 110-120 ok.
I picked this dealership specificly because of the service I received with my previous purchase.
Any dealership that would allow an unsafe travel trailer off the lot ....I consider the air pressures and the one wheel untorqued extremely dangerous....will never get my business again. Why lie when I ask about the tires being aired properly?
Just really pissed off. The QC from Keystone leaves a bad taste in my mouth also.
p.s. no tools supplied to lower or raise stabilizers or retract slide room if power fails.
I would make a list of everything that needs to be fixed and what you where incorrectly told by the so cold pdi goofy. Make several copies of the list then take the unit back to the dealer and drop it off. Talk to the gen mgr and give him a copy of the list and advise him to call you when it's completed. I would then mail a copy of the list to the Keystone factory customer service mgr requesting that he call you to discuss the situation. My tolerance for this type of crap would be zero. If not handled to your satisfaction, I would then go to this link and rank the dealer for their less than stellar customer service.
RV Service Review

Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #3

My conversation would be directly to the owner or general manager. To spend hard earned money and then be given a product that was totally not acceptable and unsafe, and then rush youout the door treatment is unacceptable.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
My conversation would be directly to the owner or general manager. To spend hard earned money and then be given a product that was totally not acceptable and unsafe, and then rush youout the door treatment is unacceptable.
Had similar treatment in a different situation. Finally stopped the guy and said "...It's obvious you are late for another appointment. Why don't I just wait in the manager's office, and we'll start over again when you get back?" Ooops! We started over again, nice and slow, with frequent queries from him to make sure he wasn't going too fast, was he?..."

I do love the suggestions by many on here to video tape the walk through for future reference, and that would slow them down as well. I would suggest having them fix it all, then when you go for pickup, video tape the NEW delivery walk through! Anything you have a question about, it is easy enough to say "...oops, sorry, (the camera didn't get that ... gotta get it for the wife ... WHATEVER ...) can we do that one again?"

And I definitely agree with above - don't call and ask - make a list, take the unit back, drop it off, and take the list in to the manager, especially referencing the question and reply re the tires.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I fill your pain we had the same experience when we bought our motorhome. When looking at them they rolled out the red carpet for us but once they had there money they treated us like a rattle snake.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:06 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Had similar treatment in a different situation. Finally stopped the guy and said "...It's obvious you are late for another appointment. Why don't I just wait in the manager's office, and we'll start over again when you get back?" Ooops! We started over again, nice and slow, with frequent queries from him to make sure he wasn't going too fast, was he?..."

I do love the suggestions by many on here to video tape the walk through for future reference, and that would slow them down as well. I would suggest having them fix it all, then when you go for pickup, video tape the NEW delivery walk through! Anything you have a question about, it is easy enough to say "...oops, sorry, (the camera didn't get that ... gotta get it for the wife ... WHATEVER ...) can we do that one again?"

And I definitely agree with above - don't call and ask - make a list, take the unit back, drop it off, and take the list in to the manager, especially referencing the question and reply re the tires.

Kathryn

X2!, Don't let them get away with it. Went to use a stove once in a bought TT, no burner, completely missing. Good old CW. Bring it back and drop it off.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
One question, did you check the trailer out BEFORE you paid your money ?
I agree many dealers treat customers this way, it's up to you to make sure things are right before you drive off with it.
If they treated you this way at the delivery, good luck in getting them to fix things after you have taken possession ...
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
One question, did you check the trailer out BEFORE you paid your money ?
Absolutely agree about not paying until the PDI is concluded to your satisfaction. When we went in to pick up our rig, first thing they wanted to do was hustle us into the business office to collect our money. I said we would do all of that after the PDI. Sales guy was really p***ed and in fact we never saw him again.

Anyway, this was right after lunch. By about 4 pm we were only about half way through my PDI list which I had prepared and printed in advance. "Gosh," said the dealer, "we need to wrap this up since we close soon." We said, "No problem. We'll come back tomorrow so we have time to finish." (Audible groans heard in background)

And we did. Spent another four hours the next morning finishing the PDI and then paying the money.

I hasten to add that we did business with a reputable dealer whom I would recommend and do business with again. It's just that the money incentive seems to keep the focus on the customer rather than just pushing the product out the door.