Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #1

diy mh scales? Could this be done?

Sure, you can run to the local scales, but what if you want to have the ability of weighing the mh at home? oh yes, and don't have a lot of $$$ to spend on a commercial scale.

Well, 1st, how much does an axle weigh, say on my 31 ft '88 allegro? Next, what's the biggest weighing error that would be acceptable?

Now, what if I used some hd galvanized electrical pipe (or something strong enough) about 10 ft long as a fulcrum, and put the balance point about 6" from the axle. I'd have 20:1 leverage advantage. Per 1000# of axle weight, I'd have to push down 1/20th of 1000 or 50#, to get balance.

For the measure weights I'd hang a platform on the free end and fill it with cinder blocks. At 42.5 lbs each, maybe I'd need 10. Total cost might be about 50.00 for the project.

Is this even feasible?
allegroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by allegroman View Post
Sure, you can run to the local scales, but what if you want to have the ability of weighing the mh at home? oh yes, and don't have a lot of $$$ to spend on a commercial scale.

Total cost might be about 50.00 for the project.

Is this even feasible?
How much are you thinking it costs to weigh at a commercial scale? To the best of my knowledge most local trash transfer stations will allow you to weigh for free.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
DUDE you have way too much time on your hands
xfirechief20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #4

"How much are you thinking it costs to weigh at a commercial scale? To the best of my knowledge most local trash transfer stations will allow you to weigh for free. "

It's not the price, and my situation is likely unlike most other folks. It's about convenience and control. At near 4.00/gallon for gas, I'm not running out multiple trips 50 or 75 miles each to see what my rig weighs dry and wet, no matter how cheap a weigh is. My monthly run consists of driving in the opposite direction of town, the whole of 6 miles, into the wilderness (64000 ac at the end of my street!), two or three times a month. But one day I'll head out for 'real' and I want to be prepared now, for the trip. 'sall.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #5

"DUDE you have way too much time on your hands "
I'm sure you aren't busy 24/7 either. What sort of things do YOU do for fun and relaxing?
Me, I think up stuff, mostly to keep my mind active by solving problems. They say it keeps the alztimers at bay. Not sure yet....
Old 07-29-2011, 01:37 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What you want to do is pretty easy, and won't require any cinder blocks. First, I think you have fulcrum and lever confused. You certainly don't need a 10 foot long fulcrum, and you will need a lever much stronger than pipe or conduit. I would use a short piece of heavy angle iron as the fulcrum on one end, a bathroom scale on the other end, and a 12 or 16 foot 4x4 or 4x6 as the lever. Your load will go between the fulcrum and scale. Use a hydraulic jack centered on a precise load point somewhere near the fulcrum, say 6" or 8". Lift the load off the ground with the jack, read the weigth on the scale, and multiply. If your jack is at 8" on a 16 foot lever the factor will be 24, at 6" will be 32. To weigh something really heavy, get a longer lever.

It may sound crude, but if you measure and design carefully, it will be surprisingly accurate, and it's simple and cheap.
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post
What you want to do is pretty easy, and won't require any cinder blocks. First, I think you have fulcrum and lever confused. You certainly don't need a 10 foot long fulcrum, and you will need a lever much stronger than pipe or conduit. I would use a short piece of heavy angle iron as the fulcrum on one end, a bathroom scale on the other end, and a 12 or 16 foot 4x4 or 4x6 as the lever. Your load will go between the fulcrum and scale. Use a hydraulic jack centered on a precise load point somewhere near the fulcrum, say 6" or 8". Lift the load off the ground with the jack, read the weigth on the scale, and multiply. If your jack is at 8" on a 16 foot lever the factor will be 24, at 6" will be 32. To weigh something really heavy, get a longer lever.

It may sound crude, but if you measure and design carefully, it will be surprisingly accurate, and it's simple and cheap.
The basic theory here is valid, but you don't want to use a 4X4 or even e 4X6 as the lever - it will flex and the end result will be innacurate. The lever needs to be rigid so that ALL the force is transferred to the scale...
Old 07-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Find out where the "Diesel Smokies" (Motor Carrier officers or Weighmasters) go for coffee.. Make friends.. They have portable scales.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
The basic theory here is valid, but you don't want to use a 4X4 or even e 4X6 as the lever - it will flex and the end result will be innacurate. The lever needs to be rigid so that ALL the force is transferred to the scale...
Someone has given you bad information. It can flex from now 'til next week and it will make no difference as long as your only points of contact are the fulcrum and the scale. Flexing won't magically make weight disappear into thin air. If the lever flexes so much that some part of it touches the ground, either raise it higher or get a stronger fulcrum. But for the weights we're talking about here, and only 6-8" from the fulcrum, a 4x6 should be more than strong enough.

JP
Old 07-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pilot $9.50 gives you front and rear seperate weight.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ya'll are just to darn smart. I got my MH weighed and the front axle is 9400 pounds. Now I have to figure out what that means on each wheel.

Sheeeesssshhhh!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Yes,you have it about right.Back in the day we use to weigh out our old race cars like that at the track.We took a 3 in sq tube for a stand and a 11/2 sq tube arm.We made it at 10 to 1. you just had to adjest so you got tire off ground ,with arm being level. I got that old thing out in about 1990 after we had good dig. scales and it was very close. That said me thinks I would go to the Cat Scale.
Good topic ----lUCK---Bill
Old 07-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird23 View Post
Yes,you have it about right.Back in the day we use . . . and it was very close. That said me thinks I would go to the Cat Scale.
That would be my choice too, but that's not what this thread is about. The OP wants to do it himself, and he's basically asking how.

JP
Old 07-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So the OP has time in his day
And he comes up with a way to weigh
He wants to know what we would say
If this make sense or we say nay
As for me I'm troubled by
This plan he has but can't think why
So forge ahead at least I say