Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post

It's common for dealers to quote services needed 20+ years ago as those still currently needed. As an example one of our local new car dealers was recommending 3,000 mile oil changes up until last year. The manufacturers changed the interval to between 5,000 and 7,500 miles at least 10 years go and in some cases nearly 20 years go.

Oil and filters are cheap compared to an engine rebuild. My 03 Duramax is recommended to be changed at 10,000 miles for oil and 20,000 for fuel.

I do oil at 5,000 fuel and tranny at 10,000. There's 260,000 on it. I changed it two weeks ago and the oil still looks like I just changed it.

I had a valve cover off last summer t fix a leak and it's spotless inside.
quartlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverforest View Post
kinda thought this, but do you DIY or pay someone ?

I park RV in side yard right next to house. I can actually stand on house roof to wash it, less to trip over.
I do it myself. Get yourself some knee pads from Harbor Freight or fix up a mop with a micro fiber cloth.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:37 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And coated???? Are they trying to MAKE it fail?
Mine is 13 years old. Mopped 2x a year, never coated but the first time.

12 feet (rough highe of my roof) means you smack the ground at 18 MPH, 11 feet would be a bit less. They say 20 is the "Dead" zone. Just so you know.. (16 feet is about 20 MPH. Did that once.. in fact twice).

Now you know how come I know the math (not really. Majored in Science).

OH and I'm not suggesting you try falling off the roof. People have been killed falling OVER (that is already standing on the ground) and hitting their head on a rock or such.

I do not use a mop. I go up on the roof (Dry) with a garden hose and sprayer (I use a Auto Wash Wand) a long handled "Van wash" brush (soft bristled) a 5 gallon bucket and a package of Spic and Span.

Add part of Spic and Span to bucket, add water from hose, mop (Brush) in sections always staying a good SAFE distance from the edge, Work my way from Front to ladder After I mop each few feed I hose it down to rinse and move closer to the ladder. Do the final seciton STANDING ON THE LADDER. Then drop the brush. Lower the bucket to something I have I can hang it on (or hand it down to ground crew) Finish rinse and drop hose. Then return to my favorite place to be TERRA FIRMA (THE GROUND) .
Old 05-20-2018, 03:54 PM   #18

Ok ; I've learned something today. Time to pour a cold one and quit !

My manual says, " four times a year to clean with mild laundry soap " , no mention of protector . Well I guess at once a year for the past 8 summers I owe the roof about 24 wash jobs . It's original and I'm thinking 24 scrub downs even with mild soap might finish it off.
What to do ? What to do ?
Old 05-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #19

I think what part of the country you live would play a part in how often you clean & coat the roof. skip 426 roof in British Columbia may not need the service as often as say someone who lives in the southwest like tucson az. the UV index, maybe ?
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:04 PM   #20

Roof type also makes a difference about coating...I do mine as often as I feel like it.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Sounds like a sweet deal for the dealer, sell a warranty or coach and get a seal job booked 4 times a year. Most roofs last 10 years w/min cleaning. My suggestion would be to save the seal $$ and put toward a roof replacement fund.
I was a roofer for a cpl decades and specialized on epdm systems (rubber roofs) for a good many of those years which is virtually the same used on an RV best I can tell. I've helped a cpl friends repairing tears, membrane separation and calking issues on they're TT's, few years later they're still water tight.

I own an '04 Jayflight BHSD with an original "rubber" roof, never cleaned it and never will. I do, which I suggest, check all protrusions and terminations once or twice a year because that's where you're likely to get a failure unless of course something contacts the roof such as branches, flying objects, etc.

A final note; if you DIY, installing a new rubber roof is not difficult and is relatively cheap. If you want someone else to do it call a roofer with epdm experience, if they agree to do it I bet they will be far cheaper and give a superior job than any stealership would. THE LESS YOU MESS WITH A ROOF THE BETTER. Just my 2cents
brad plomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:18 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This sounds like baloney to me....they are trying to sell you something you don't need to do 4 times a year. Call the manufacturer to find out for sure.

Be careful if you climb up there when wet and slippery....personally I am not comfortable to do this, due to "Terror of Firma".
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #23

I've got a question. How does a DIYS job get documented to satisfy the warranty? You would have to prove that the proper material was used and the correct cleaning method. Would a receipt and dated photo suffice?
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I've got a question. How does a DIYS job get documented to satisfy the warranty? You would have to prove that the proper material was used and the correct cleaning method. Would a receipt and dated photo suffice?
Well,
I'd bet dollars to donuts that no matter how well you "documented" any maintenance/service, you'd NEVER be able to collect any warranty anyway. They'll claim anything to keep from paying and or replacing.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad plomer View Post
THE LESS YOU MESS WITH A ROOF THE BETTER.

ok.........
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:32 PM   #26

That's like say'n never clean your sticks and bricks roof......what till it rains, then you get to remove from the sides all that was up there....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverforest View Post
...someone

got a letter from my selling dealer. they state to keep warranty on rubber roof its needs to be washed and coated with a protectant 4 times per year. my roof is 11 feet off the ground, I try not to climb any higher than I would like to fall. any thoughts ?
That is partially true, it is required to "maintain" the roof by washing, there is nothing in the membrane warranty about treating.
Visit the website of the membrane mfgr. and read their warranty. The roof membrane is not issued by the dealer or RV mfgr.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote