Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
It's common for the Diesels to smell because of the engine/ exhaust and fuel used. Some of the outside smell enters inside.
this is so weird I just wont comment. Wait that is a comment Some things on forums you gotta wonder ; where do these people come from.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
When we were looking a few years ago it wasn't the smells that got us most of the time. It was the owners telling us that "no there have been no pets" or "no we don't smoke and no one was ever allowed to smoke inside" while there were pet toys or treats in places and/or that smokey tar on the walls and stuff from cigarettes. And this from one owner coaches ......

Old 05-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Welcome to IRV2.
May be because the units are closed up. We've never noticed the problem.
Agreed
Most any vehical will smell if it sits closed up and unused for any lenghth of time.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
I'm going to assume that you are speaking of the diesel
exhaust smoke/smell. From 2008 and on the emissions
standards tightened up and they put out no smoke and
no smell, even under full throttle. If you were to see any
smoke from the exhaust, then the engine may be shot.
If you are talking about the inside, then it is covered in
previous posts.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #19
doc

Appalachian Campers
Hard to believe that ALL DPs 'stink'. Might be that you are better suited to an apartment.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
I'm going to assume that you are speaking of the diesel
exhaust smoke/smell. From 2008 and on the emissions
standards tightened up and they put out no smoke and
no smell, even under full throttle. If you were to see any
smoke from the exhaust, then the engine may be shot.
If you are talking about the inside, then it is covered in
previous posts.
I thought the OP was talking about other types of smells. I guess we were lucky ours didn't have the diesel smell. I have severe COPD. I am very sensitive to any pollutants, and the only time I smell ours is when I'm outside on the exhaust side. For some reason it doesn't smell diesel even in bedroom.
I would avoid buying any unit that smelled like diesel when you walk inside.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #21
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I guess I'd ask the OP: Define "stink". Inside smells from being occupied by people/pets/closed up; or outside smells like propane, diesel fuel, tire rubber..etc?

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I am looking at the difference between the 5er we currently have and the coach we will be getting soon.

We ordered the 5er with sliding double pane windows. The coach has contour windows. There is a difference of likely 3 times the ventilation with windows open.

The 5er came with 6 roof vents (2 of which are fantastic fans). The coach has one fantastic fan. There is a great difference in roof ventilation.

The DW likes things fresh so to the extent possible the windows and vents are open and the fans running most days. We have vent covers on 3 of the vents so they are cracked almost all of the time.

When in storage there are at least 3 roof vents open and a couple windows. We have inside RV storage.

We do very little cooking inside preferring to use the grill and induction burner outside to reduce cooking odors.

The DW does laundry every three to four days. We do not have laundry in the 5er but will in the coach. I expect laundry will not be left un-washed for very long.

I believe cleanliness has a lot to do with the stale odor I think is being referred to. I find that as we get older our eyesight and sense of smell deteriorates. I know as my mother aged we used to go more often to her house and give it a good cleaning. Same with the DW parents. Not sure if it was an age thing or they just could not be bothered. I know I am getting into that same age range.

A number of the coaches on the market have been owned by an aging population. Because of it there will be some bargains to be had. Part of the bargain is dealing with the odor that likely helped make it a bargain.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know exactly what combination of previous owner actions/inactions cause the lingering "smell", but I agree. When we were shopping for an RV, any used unit that we walked into we immediately walked OUT. I'm a clean freak and I can't deal with other peoples' filth. I'll take the new carpet off-gassing, please.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
this is so weird I just wont comment. Wait that is a comment Some things on forums you gotta wonder ; where do these people come from.
I agree as your post does nothing to answer his question. Did you read the OP question? he asked why do "Diesel" motorhomes stink!.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #25

I have found that in the 100 or so Foretravels I have been in, not one of them stink. Pets or no pet but then maybe the interior of all wood or tile and carpet helps. There is no chemical smells. I also can say in the numerous Born frees I have been in and owned there. Are no smells either. Sometimes after being closed up it is musty but that airs out.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Did you read the OP question? he asked why do "Diesel" motorhomes stink!.
But, the OP's own explanations indicate it is might not be just engine odors...
Buying used is a bumpy journey.

#1 Non-stinky coaches sell quickly and stinky coaches don't sell. Thus, there are lots of stinky coaches that sit around for a long time on lots. This leads to a larger number of stinky coaches vs. non-stinky coaches.

#2 As RVs get a few years old they tend to develop some type of stink. It is just part of RVing.

#3 ???

#2 above, YES, stinky interiors can be part of RVing - from Pop-tops to Bus conversions - doesn't matter. Have you ever stepped on a Band's Tour Bus? Whew!!!

And, good housekeeping can prevent that...see #1 above
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #27

The only odor I have noticed coming from DPs is their pricepoint. So I have fulltimed for 11 years in gas pullers (tongue in cheek) which have less financial odor.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #28

Hope this does not drive the thread off topic, but I recently read an article about placing a bowl of coffee beans out on a table will help freshen up the air. Maybe it masks the odors with coffee aroma?

We visited with fellow RVers last winter that had their interior smelling like a Pier One Import store. Candle aroma and all.

> My motto: I like breathing. It gives me something to do ....

Tags
diesel