Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2014, 01:38 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I bought our old rig it was 12 years old (and that was 6 yrs ago). One of the things that impressed me about it was that it smelled really good. I asked the owner what they did to keep it smelling so good, and he said they didn't do anything, just vacuumed it periodically.

After 6 years, it still smells pretty good. It does smell a bit musty when closed up for extended periods, but it's the kind of smell that goes away after airing out for a while. I try to keep the u-traps in the sinks with water in them, but they don't last very long in our dry AZ weather. We don't smoke, but do have 2 20# dogs that are house broken.

So.... just saying, not all used DP's stink..!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 06:31 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTravels View Post
I don't understand is if it is possible to get the stink out then why don't the dealers de-stink it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Sometimes I wonder too ...... The only explanation I could think of is that to them it doesn't smell ! :-)
The reason dealers don't spend the time and $$ to de-stink RVs is because they don't have to....(people buy them even when they smell).

IMO, the only things that really stink about used diesel pushers is the purchase price and the cost of maintenance.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:49 AM   #45

There are many places in an RV that can hide the "feed material" for odors. One that has not been mentioned is dust collected in toe-kick heaters. Oh yeah, it's there! Next time you have access to an air hose, drag it inside and blow out those heaters. Wear a dusk mask, and have a vac cleaner running with the nozzle close to the heater grill. Now, of course, you have a coating of dust all over the place, and you need to vac all those surfaces.

Taking the grill face plate off gets you closer to the dust deposits and the vac will pick out a lot of it, but the blast from the compressed air nails the stuff that is tangled in the fan, and caught in nooks and crannies.

I guess the warning sign of dust clogged electric heaters is a burned odor when they are operating. Time to avoid a fire ... shut it down and clean the heck out of it.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
High doses of ozone will remove odors sometimes permanently.

Here is a machine I use to make the basement smell good again whenever it needs it.

Attachment 64126

Not for use while anything living is in the coach! Treat with ozone overnight or a few hours at least, then air out for 30 minutes - done. Smells gone.

Treat again as needed.
I bought and use a small 12VDC version I bought at a truck stop. It runs continually, even when the RV is stored in the garage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:19 PM   #47

Google Foretravel of Texas, they have the Bio Med medical display coach for sale, this coach could be customized to your liking,they have other coaches also.
st687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:56 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Well, gosh, I have an awful sensitive nose but I must have missed all those stinky coaches. I have been in some that obviously smelled like cooking odors, or musty from leaking, or dogs, but those were the odd ones.

I have had 2 used coaches and neither have stank. The first was a gasser 2006, it smelled like new. The second and my current DPer is a 1992 model and I don't notice smell in it. I can't imagine after looking at a 1000 that they all stink. Is motorhoming really for you, maybe you should rethink it.

I keep mine vacuumed, mopped and clean. Of course the couches and front seats are leather so that might make a difference and we put a new mattress in it, so that might make a difference too. I also washed the front curtains when I was cleaning, they were dusty. Outside I smell fumes from the diesel generator but not inside, if I did something would be wrong I think.

I'm sure many smell but not all by any means.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel