Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #1

Do all used diesel pushers stink?

Hi everyone, this is my first post

My wife and I have been planning to transition to the RV lifestyle as work keeps us both on the road. After 6 years of staying in hotels and flying back-and-forth we are ready to take the office with us.

We have been hunting for a diesel pusher for over a year now that we can customize for our needs. In our search, we have visited dealerships in California, Arizona and Texas and must have seen at least 1,000 different RVs. We are looking at diesel pushers between 2007-2015.

It seems more often than not, the used coaches can be pretty stinky. Not all of them, but more often than not. The price point doesn't seem to matter either. Lots of stinky highline coaches... Newmar Essex, American Heritage, Country Coach Magna, Tiffin Zephyr, etc...

What's the reason for all the stinky used coaches?

Possible explanations:

#1 Non-stinky coaches sell quickly and stinky coaches don't sell. Thus, there are lots of stinky coaches that sit around for a long time on lots. This leads to a larger number of stinky coaches vs. non-stinky coaches.

#2 As RVs get a few years old they tend to develop some type of stink. It is just part of RVing.

#3 ???
TedTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #2

If you looking up to 2015s, why not talk to Newmar about building what you want.

That's what we did and haven't regretted one bit.

I think you'll be surprised that it's not as expensive as people assume.

I don't mean guessimate what the cost will be. Actually sit down with Newmar and subtract all the things you don't want, then add back what you do want.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
laj

depends on what the stink is. could be that slobs owned the. what and how they cooked. did they have traveling flea hotels you'll find the same thing in s&b from the same people. i find minimal variance between the 2. some just don't care. take your time and have fun. lots of odor free ones out there.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Years ago when we shopped for used RV's we ran into the same problem. The more they advertised how clean a unit was the worse it smelled.

Dog and cat hair along with smoking inside for years really destroyed the RV's.

I remember one that when we opened the door a stench hit us head-on, smelled like Gramaw Girty had bit the dust in there...and she was still inside somewhere.

Our last three RV's we bought new as we couldn't find a clean non-stinky used one we liked.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2.
May be because the units are closed up. We've never noticed the problem.

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We purchased the coach in my signature last August. It had not bad smells at all. Could be the way the coaches are stored when not used. If there is no air circulation that could be a problem.

Keep looking I am sure you will find something.

Stuart
Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #7

I suppose there are so many variables one cannot say why some RV's have an odor. I suspect the main reason is an accumulation of dirt and moisture in padded items like carpet and/or padding, stuffed furniture, etc. Our coach didn't stink, but had a faint odor like it had been in long-term storage, which it had been 6 yrs). DW cleaned the carpeting, I washed the walls, we both cleaned the padded ceiling, and that odor disappeared. It doesn't smell new, neither does it have an odor, just smells clean now, and we always run an exhaust fan when cooking or bathing to keep it that way.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:54 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Just a couple of observations I've made:

1. An overwhelming majority of RVers travel with dogs.

2. A disproportionate number of RVers smoke.

Wrap that up in a closed environment, add hot sun, and let simmer.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #9

A BRAND NEW coach can not only smell bad, but can leave your eyes burning as well? Depending on what you're smelling, some coaches simply need to be aired out. Others, like those with mold issues, well, you do what you need to do. That's one I won't deal with....
Old 05-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Even if I could afford a new one, in wouldn't buy it because of the smell. Every single unit I've ever walked in at an RV show burns my eyes and lungs. The new material let off a gas for a while. The carpeting especially. Lots of vinyl does that.

We bought a 2000 model year almost 3 years ago. It had a nagging mildew like odor. We washed, shampooed, and cleaned everything, but a slight smell lingered.
Last fall we went fulltime. I was cleaning the toilet and noticed the carpet would not dry after I cleaned it. After some research, I found it was the bottom gasket.
I took out the toilet, and found that the seal had dried up and the toilet was seeping at bottom. Long story short, I had to rip out the carpet, the flooring was soaked, had to scrub with bleach, let it dry, and paint it with several coats of KILZS. New toilet and floor cover, smell gone forever.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #11

It's common for the Diesels to smell because of the engine/ exhaust and fuel used. Some of the outside smell enters inside.

There are some well cared for used units that don't smell but they are rare in IMO. We bought new for this very reason.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTravels View Post

We are looking at diesel pushers between 2007-2015.

Does the "new" smell from new coaches bother you also? If not, seems like I would go with a 2014 or 2015 Newmar if your budget allows.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
It all depends on how clean it was kept. We bought a 2 year old 2010 that smelled great, and even though we regularly camp with 4 dogs, we clean it from top to bottom immediately when we get home. It still has that great RV (wooden cabinet) smell.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Our new to us Travel Trailer was the very first RV that we bought. My wife positively hated the overwhelming moth ball stench that permeated the air. We had to get rid of it. We do look at used MH from time to time just out of curiosity and I take your point. Almost immediately in some coaches the smell can turn us right off. I agree that from sitting for along period of time moisture, mildew, etc, will cumulatively create an objectionable odor.
When we purchased or '08 Itasca Navion (used) it did not have any discernible odor. I'm sure that eventually you can find something to your liking.
Have to agree about the vinyl smell. Terrible!! There is something not right about that nose burning stench.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel