Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2015, 12:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
What I would like to see is a park that excludes all people over 55 unless accompanied by a child. Since these seem to be most of the people who have nothing better to do than complain about what everyone else is doing!!! As for loud noisy kids they should be encouraged, some of you old folk need to be reminded of what it is like to be young, maybe then you wouldn't be so grouchy all the time...
Hold on there! I'm over 55 and I have a 6 year old. And I don't like people with little dogs and ferrets!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #16

Rules are good and are put into place because the lack of common sense with some folks.

Enforcement of the rules is even better.

If you don't like rules then don't go to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in Michigan which was rated as one of the top national parks to go.

We volunteered there nine seasons. The long list of rules was personally read to you when you checked in so that you had no excuse to not abide by them. Because of that, the park was immaculate, well taken care of by renters and everyone gave high praise for the camping experience in the park. Dogs weren't running around or barking, quiet time was strictly enforced, litter didn't happen and the bathrooms were spotless.

Also, it's extremely difficult to get a site in that park because of the popularity of it. There are yearly returnees so they must not find the rules prohibitive.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #17

I see two possible reasons for stricter rules, and neither has anything to do with some civil breakdown of society.

One possibility; people often dream of running their version of utopia in whatever field they choose to pursue, be it a perfect comic book store, the best auto dealership, or the campground of their dreams. So, if you don't like kids, dogs, motorcycles, old campers, old trucks, well-used lawn chairs, etc., well, you just make the rules against them. As has been mentioned, there are plenty of like-minded people out there to populate sites.

The other possibility, is managements lack of enforcement. They had rules in place before, failed to enforce them consistently, got complaints, so they made stricter rules in hopes of weeding out customers some people don't like.

Me, I travel with two dogs. Both of which would stay at my side through a herd of squirrels riding on cats, without a leash. However, we follow the posted rules of the land. Though, I have never encountered a campground that didn't allow two dogs, if I did come across one, I wouldn't stay there. Or rather, I couldn't stay there, because according to that campground I am of the undesirable sort. Which I am used to, since I do ride a motorcycle .

To each their own, and these businesses have a right to post whatever rules they feel necessary. They cater to a higher class crowd than myself, which is cool. I would rather camp around folks that could be friends before the stay is done.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
What I would like to see is a park that excludes all people over 55 unless accompanied by a child. Since these seem to be most of the people who have nothing better to do than complain about what everyone else is doing!!! As for loud noisy kids they should be encouraged, some of you old folk need to be reminded of what it is like to be young, maybe then you wouldn't be so grouchy all the time...
Kind of an ageist attitude, don't you think? Geez....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm all for stricter rules and regs. One of the problems that appears to be growing exponentially is the sense of entitlement people have "acquired" today. This leads to unreasonable expectations and demands which negatively affect other campers. A lot of folks figure they are owed something simply because they paid their way and that entitles them to do as they please. We are becoming a nation of badly spoiled children.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
.... We are becoming a nation of badly spoiled children.
I think that ship sailed long ago
Old 09-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #21

So I'm out cycling the Bayshore Parkway by Coronado yesterday. Once again I notice how many people seem to feel the rules are for everyone else. In a country where I'm considered the problem because I believe there are definite standards of right & wrong, I understand that far too many have the 'live & let live' attitude that has become 'I do what I want but you have to do what I want also'. We seek RV parks with reasonable rules that are enforced. When I was younger, I was the guy who confronted offenders violating quiet hours. Or letting their dog urine on the neighbors cute little sign. I'm not quite as intimidating looking now.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Coming from an old guy.....thanks for the reminder
Old 09-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Most state parks don't allow alcohol simply so they have an excuse to throw you out. Walk around, everyone knows what is in those red cups, but no one cares as long as you keep it to yourself.

If two guys are arguing the camp staff comes over and checks for booze first so they can toss them.

It seems to work. No loud obnoxious campfires during quiet time.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #24

I'm all for campground rules as long as they are available for review prior to making a reservation. I'm also for common sense enforcement of them. If the campground is virtually empty, does it really hurt to let your little chihuahua ( who is scared of her own shadow) out on your campsite sans leash?
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:10 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
It's interesting to find out the we ARE the most undesirable campers on the road. We're over 55 and our RV is older than 10 yrs, we travel with 2 dogs (little ones at that), we like to stay up and outside way into the night while watching a roaring campfire burn down to embers, we don't mind our own business as we always try to find a way to do something nice and unexpected for our neighbors, we smile and wave at everyone and (here's the real kicker) we often take our 12 year old grand-daughter with us. Yep, we're the ones everyone talks about so BEWARE ... we may be heading to a CG near you! BTW: We live in elderly housing so if we only wanted to be around old people with drool on their chin, complaining about anything and everything, we would just stay home.
CaptainGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Angry

I'm one of those grouchy old farts. And my RV is over 10 years old now too.

I hate the long lists of rules, but understand the reasons, i.e. public behavior, that led to them. When so many people are more interested in their personal rights than consideration for their neighbors rights and welfare, we get rules. Rules are a stop gap when common courtesy and common sense do not prevail. And a crutch to lean on when some jerk valued customer thinks his desires outweigh everybody elses and the campground owners need to protect his property and business.

It's not just campgrounds that are getting stricter, either. We see it every day, rigid rules where common sense and the discretion of the business owner used to prevail.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
J Rocker . I love it , well your 2 dogs anyway ( ." Both of which would stay at my side through a herd of squirrels riding on cats, without a leash." )
My kind of training , well done !
Old 09-15-2015, 10:13 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"JMonroe" nailed it!!!!

Quote:
I suspect it has to do with the breakdown of civility in our society. It used to be you could generally expect the vast majority to use some common sense and respect the property and privacy of others. I believe this is still true of most RV owners but there's more and more that have lost the common sense they were born with and who were never taught even basic manors.

Rules are needed to help curb bad behavior and at least give management a solid excuse for evicting someone that just can't seem to figure it out on their own. How many times have you heard the excuse "well, there's no law/rule against it." The flip side is, they also limit what the rest of us can do.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground