Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #1

Do CGs have a Ten Year Old Limit?

I am currently looking to buy a used rv. I have been told that most parks won't allow any rv's older than ten years into their facilities - even just for overnight. Is this true?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have moved your post into its own thread to avoid hijacking someone elses and confusing the discussion.

It's not true at all that "most" CGs don't allow RVs over 10 years old. Some have that limit but I would place that group at something less than 5% of all campgrounds.

Best of luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf47 View Post
I am currently looking to buy a used rv. I have been told that most parks won't allow any rv's older than ten years into their facilities - even just for overnight. Is this true?
Some of the higher class campgrounds do but if the coach is kept in good condition cosmetically and mechanically most campgrounds will let you stay.

I personally have not seen anybody turned away from any of the campgrounds we have stayed at.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My RV is from 1995 and when I made reservations where I'm at now, they asked. When I told them the age, they requested pictures. I was allowed to stay without issue. I asked what it was all about and they just don't want some junk heap with Window ACs and torn up roofs or siding at their park. Would you want to stay next to one? One of the assistant managers here has an 87, it's just immaculate.

It's a private park and they're allowed to make the rules. There's a park down the road that is cheaper and they don't care what your rig looks like. I think the place looks like a junk yard.
digitalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The 10 year rule is generally in place to give the campground a basis on which to turn away the junkers that may never move again once they manage to get into a site. I've seen very few campgrounds that enforce it rigorously on well-maintained RVs.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
We have a 1983 Avion. Only one private park we visit has the 10 year rule, but we have not had a problem. The owner told us we were welcome anytime. Parks just want the right to turn out the rigs that look bad.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPSDX View Post
We have a 1983 Avion. Only one private park we visit has the 10 year rule, but we have not had a problem. The owner told us we were welcome anytime. Parks just want the right to turn out the rigs that look bad.
I have a 1990 21 years old and have never had a problem. Maybe it's because it looks brand new? Or maybe because the DW is good lookin! Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Most parks do not have an age limit. And as others said, for those that do, as long as the unit is well kept, they'll make an exception. We were at Hearthside Grove in Petoskey, MI last week & there was the cutest little late 80's or early 90's coach parked on a lot surrounded by very pricey coaches. It looked right at home.

So don't let the age keep you from purchasing.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some parks (usually with RESORT in the name) have a 10 yera rule that they enforce. Some have the rule as a way to turn away junkers. A few will ask for photos and that will make them happy.

The few that enforce the rule hard and fast would not get my money even if I had a newer rig.

Ken
Old 06-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have found places, places which are very very popular where a "Significant percentage" of CG's have a 10 year rule... However even when My rig still had the sticker in the window I had a "10 year rule" of my own.. If they asked how old my rig was, I told them, then I hung up.

NOTE: It is still not yet 10 years old (Won't be for a few more years) and I will STILL hang up on 10 year rule parks.

I"ve never had problems finding parking.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I have found places, places which are very very popular where a "Significant percentage" of CG's have a 10 year rule... However even when My rig still had the sticker in the window I had a "10 year rule" of my own.. If they asked how old my rig was, I told them, then I hung up.

NOTE: It is still not yet 10 years old (Won't be for a few more years) and I will STILL hang up on 10 year rule parks.

I"ve never had problems finding parking.
Pics???????????
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Funny thing, my coach is always 2 years under the 10 year limit.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #13

As was said it gives the CG a way out for the junkers that come in. A few years ago A guy made a reservation here and when he arrived he was behind a tow truck. His plan was to rebuild his engine while he stayed with us. It didn't happen!

Mark

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Funny thing, my coach is always 2 years under the 10 year limit.

Ours was 1 year under the limit when we had one that was about 12 to 15 years old.

Ken