Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #15

Thanks everyone! And thanks for pointing out past threads covering the same topic...I'll do better research next time. I think I'll go with a HW and get that done right after new tires.
Just curious...has anyone ever had a portable surge stolen? I've seen locking mechanisms--just wondering....thanks again!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
This has been discussed in depth many times. Check threads HERE, HERE, HERE & HERE as well as many more places.

Give a read through of them & you'll get the gist power protection is quite important.
X2.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
Thanks everyone! And thanks for pointing out past threads covering the same topic...I'll do better research next time. I think I'll go with a HW and get that done right after new tires.
Just curious...has anyone ever had a portable surge stolen? I've seen locking mechanisms--just wondering....thanks again!
Don't worry about it some post get answered over and over. I have mine hard wired you don't worry about it being stolen and you don't have to mess with it when plugging in you just have the cord to deal with.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I Installed my hard wired surge guard as a "portable". I plan on replacing it with the Progressive Industries unit so I can also be protected from high and low voltages.

Kit I used:

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #19

Quote:

The Progressive Hard Wired is the only way to go. IMHO. Best warranty in the bus and don't have to worry about it being stolen. If there is a problem with it, it can be by-passed until repairs are done. The rest are in the back seat to this product.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #20

I have the surge guard portable with the locking box and it works great. I needed one quick for my piece of mind after only dumb luck prevented major damage. (The skies opened up and I blew off hooking up to power at an RV park until the rain stopped. Lightning did a number on both units next to me as they fried lots of equipment) I would go with the hard wired unit if I had to do it over again.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #21

There should be no question here...go get one immediately. The Progressive Industry hardwired is a good one. I have personally seen a brand new coach get his electronics fried in the Florida keys a few years ago. He didn't know what the surge guard was. I felt bad for him as I was next to him and mine shut down my power but I suffered no damage. You just have to have one. Without it, it is like Russian roulette!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #22

I put it off to long. Under voltage took out my convection/microwave. Repair was $200. Now have a progressive unit and have no fears. Campground plugs are abused by people pulling the cord to disconnect which put strains since the plug head is at a 90 degree angle to the cord. Few of us pull the plug straight out by the plug head.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #23

Do I need a surge guard??

Quote:

I have a portable. I plug it in and know right off if there is a pedestal issue. Then plug in my cord, put the cable lock on it, and never worry.

This is the 2nd RV for this PI unit. It moved real easy.

Never heard of a unit walking away. I think they would prize my Weber Q100 more. Never had anything taken from our camp ever in my lifetime.

Dave and Nola - RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:08 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Surge Guard is a brand competing with the Progressive brand. Both brands make models that protect from pedestal mis-wiring as well as over/under voltage. In this thread it is also used a generic term with regard to the device everyone is suggesting be used. So it gets kind of confusing. Both companies make good products. Either will do the job, depending on the features you are opting for.
EMS-LCHW50C
Surge Guard 50A Hardwire RV Power Protection | Technology Research Corporation
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Surge Guard is a brand competing with the Progressive brand. Both brands make models that protect from pedestal mis-wiring as well as over/under voltage. In this thread it is also used a generic term with regard to the device everyone is suggesting be used. So it gets kind of confusing. Both companies make good products. Either will do the job, depending on the features you are opting for.
]

This is true.
And Progressive has a lifetime warranty.

Dave and Nola - RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #26

Well I took the advice of many and purchased a HW progressive EMS....should get it next week when I pick up my MH. Also getting new tires to replace the original ones.
Thanks again everyone!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Well I took the advice of many and purchased a HW progressive EMS....should get it next week when I pick up my MH. Also getting new tires to replace the original ones.
Thanks again everyone!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
What he said

I needed it sooner (twice) but bought it later.
Great share. Not only a good sense of humor but also education

Whole RV surge protector and point of use protectors at the electronics for extra insurance. Don't forget to protect the antenna