Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2014, 01:36 AM   #1

Do I need to winterize my MH if I live in Phoenix AZ??

Hello! I currently live in Phoenix AZ, do I still need to winterize my MH even out here in the desert?? I know we do have a few days that will go down as low as 28'F mainly in late December or January but only for a few hours, but if I drain all of my water lines and do not winterize is there a chance that something can still go wrong?? Thanks for the help!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2014, 06:11 AM   #2

If it will go below 32 I would

2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31 BDP
waynesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:16 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
There is always that chance but if it were me, I wouldn't worry about it. I would be more concerned about the summer heat and low humidity
Old 10-26-2014, 06:36 AM   #4

winterize

would worry there may not be water to freeze even if it got that cold......(some humor..)
Gary
Old 10-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We lived in a RV park in Scottsdale, the park is gone now, in our first TT and we never winterized or heat taped the hose. We never had an problems with a freezing hose or internally. From our experience, you will not need to winterize.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #6
IC2

I have been in Phoenix when it was well below 32 and snowing - but that only lasted for a few hours. I do live on the normally frozen tundra of upstate NY, but often procrastinate winterizing until around Thanksgiving hoping for one more weekend out. The overnight temps in late October and into Nov. are often well below freezing and only getting to about 40 during the day. To date, never had a problem with though I do know that I am taking chances. Water wont instantly freeze in a confined area such as a camping vehicle once the outside temps reach 32. It will though if the cold period is protracted. Now, would I winterize in Phoenix? I would probably, at a minimum, blow the system out and put some antifreeze in the sink and shower drains if nothing else (inexpensive 3 gallon pancake compressors are available at Harbor Freight if you don't already have one)
Old 10-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #7

There have been only rare occasions that I have read where a Phoenix/Tuscan RVer has posted that winter storage issues have occurred to there rig by not placing the precautions in place. If you use the rig during the winter season in that area and tend to the batteries...you can set the furnace on 45 and if the temp dips...it will briefly kick on and handle any issues. But from my reading (not from my experience) most of the RVers in your area do little to winterize. Many use covers though due to sandy windy conditions that abuse the exterior of the RV
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We have been camping in Tucson for many winters, and remember this cold snap that had folks in Phoenix worried about pipes freezing last year:

Third consecutive morning of sub-freezing temperatures | azfamily.com Phoenix

I guess you could just watch the weather, and use the heater in your coach for the days it gets close to freezing. Not me, I had some pipes freeze a long time ago in our first RV due to not winterizing. You only have to go thru that one time to see what a pain it is! During that cold snap in Arizona, there were quite a few campers near us that awoke to frozen water hoses. I just simply left the water off, drained the hose, and slept well. Your coach, your choice, your money. . .

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most MH's when they are being heated by the furnace will also heat the areas where the water is stored. Your water lines are also heated because they run inside your cupboards which are part of the heated area. If you are living FT then you are in the unit. The inside areas will be heated and some of your basement areas as well. How well all areas are heated really depends on your coach.

Our coach has heat in the water areas until you get to the hook up compartment where the water hose comes in from the CG. Even that area has a door on it and is more or less sealed. At this time I don't know how much furnace heat, if any enters that area. One could place wireless thermometers in the questionable areas and monitor the temps from the inside. In the questionable (enclosed but marginally heated) areas you can place either a light bulb or a very small electric heater for added safety.

Also remember about wind chill. Those marginal areas are not exposed to wind chill which will effect temps. Your outside exposed hoses are. As far as the outside hoses this is where wrapping all exposed hoses and faucets with electric heat tape is needed. Your gray and black tank drains might be a concern as far as opening and closing but because the liquid does not fill those 4" lines it's not as big a concern.

TeJay
Old 10-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #10

I don't

I've had two different R/Vs in my side yard for the last six years here in Scottsdale and have never had an issue with freezing, even last winter with those extra cold nights.
I have a thermometer in the coach and the lowest that it recorded last year was 33F. It is, however, in a protected side yard on the west side of my home partially covered by large trees and tall walls.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:01 AM   #11

Thanks for your suggestions, I live in Phoenix and the MH will be in storage during January and February, I guess if I want to be totally safe I will need to winterize the unit or at least like Dave W. suggested add some antifreeze into the drains and I guess the toilet, does the antifreeze eat away the rubber o-ring on the toilet??? Or just do not add any antifreeze in the toilet! At least for this winter unfortunately the MH will be outside and not covered, there are no places available with cover or even an open garage, I acted a little late looking for one this year!! I was going to buy an RV cover but I have been told that this will actually be worse, the fine dirt gets between the MH and the cover and when the wind blows the cover acts as sandpaper, this actually happened to my brother when he covered his 5th wheel, so I do not want this to happen to my new MH. Again Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:05 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandcanyon View Post
Thanks for your suggestions, I live in Phoenix and the MH will be in storage during January and February, I guess if I want to be totally safe I will need to winterize the unit or at least like Dave W. suggested add some antifreeze into the drains and I guess the toilet, does the antifreeze eat away the rubber o-ring on the toilet??? Or just do not add any antifreeze in the toilet! At least for this winter unfortunately the MH will be outside and not covered, there are no places available with cover or even an open garage, I acted a little late looking for one this year!! I was going to buy an RV cover but I have been told that this will actually be worse, the fine dirt gets between the MH and the cover and when the wind blows the cover acts as sandpaper, this actually happened to my brother when he covered his 5th wheel, so I do not want this to happen to my new MH. Again Thanks for the suggestions.
Hello again,

I was amazed to read how some owners do not winterize their coaches. I live in Colorado, so it is not a matter of doing it, but rather how long to wait. These are huge investments for most of us, and after repairing frozen water lines on our very first coach back in the early 80's due to improper winterizing, NEVER again for me. Sorry for the rant, I feel better now.

To answer your question about the toilet, as long as you use RV antifreeze, I have never had a problem in over 30 years with the seals. Matter of fact, I am from the camp that it is better to keep all the lines, the pump, and the P-traps wet year round, either with water or antifreeze. The service centers I use all say the same thing, it is better to keep it all lubed. There are others that swear by blowing the lines out and leaving it dry, just not my style. I can winterize my coach in about 30 minutes, and de-winterize in minutes. When the water lines froze in our first coach, it took a month to have all the lines replaced.

Hope this helps, sorry again for the rant.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I lived in Kansas city and know for a fact that it takes a hard freeze for a couple of days before the water in the lines and tanks become solid and crack things. Your hot water tank will crack, your sink water sprayer will crack and your cheap plastic shower water valves will crack.

I do know that one night down to 20 degrees does not do any damage. The temps outside need to stay below freezing to cause damage. I know this from personal experience on a few occasions.

I use my RV for work, and when I was between jobs in November & December I would just let it sit in my driveway with water, ready to go at a moments notice.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
I know for a fact that it takes a hard freeze for a couple of days before the water in the lines and tanks become solid and crack things.
I do know that one night down to 20 degrees does not do any damage. The temps outside need to stay below freezing to cause damage.
mgscott4

That has been my experience as well.
Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
winter