RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2019, 01:18 PM   #1

Do most RVers join GoodSam shopping club? Acckk!

We shopped for accessories at Camping World for our first motorhome. Wheeled up to the checkstand and immediately got the pitch for Good Sam purchasing membership as the immediate discounts more than paid for it. So far, so good.

I saw a relative benefit in providing one of my email addresses, expecting there would be occasional special offers or coupons.

What followed was a deluge of email, nearly all of which would be classified as spam. After using the Unsubscribe link on several messages - to no apparent benefit - I used the link for 'review your email preferences' instead. I was shocked at the list of vendors to which they redistribute your email address. I unchecked all of them, and now will have to endure for 10 days to see if it had any effect.

Fortunately I did not give them my *primary* address, so it's a little easier to ignore for a period of time. My recommendation to others would be to not give them any email address, and restrain yourselves to taking advantage of only the member discounts in the catalog.

Sheesh!

BatRastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #2

Well GS is not the only one who behaves like that. You can create a gmail account in YOURNAMETRASH@gmail.com and use that when you sign up for stuff you do not want email from.

As for GS, for the most part they are way overpriced. They can occasionally have a sale with a good price but it's like searching thru a trash pile to find a few good items. I don't buy stuff from them unless I'm on the road and need something right now. Amazon usually beats them, but Amazon is not always the low price leader, on big ticket items it can pay to look around. Walmart, Lowes etc. will beat them sometimes.

Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I join Good Sam for the campground discounts. For some reason I never get e-mails from them!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #4

We are members of the Good Sam Club also. We just saved over $25 on one item from the catalog W/free shipping also. We save money at the gas/diesel pumps @ Flying J/Pilot stations and 10% at the Good Sam campgrounds. If you are worried about a few emails get on the site and cancel the communications from the offenders. Your Good Sam membership is one of the few bargains left out there if you use it
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:36 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Generally all it takes is one or two purchases a year to get your membership back. They do have good deals occasionally. When you sign up just be extra careful to uncheck all the boxes about receiving emails. Do keep in mind however ordering will add you back to the sale list.
https://enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #6

Camping Worlds prices are overpriced to begin with, usually you can find better prices on Amazon.

Most campgrounds will now give you a 10% with a GS Card, but will also offer the same discount with AAA or AARP.

Flying J / Pilot will discount their fuel for GS cards, but their fuel is often times .06 - .08 cents higher to begin with.

Bottom line, I don't see any advantage to GS membership.
Pete Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We use GS only for the campground discounts. Anything you would buy at camping world you will find cheaper online or other major stores. I cannot remember the last thing I bought in a camping world.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:16 PM   #8

There's absolutely nothing at Camping World and the other affiliated outdoors stores that you cannot find significantly cheaper elsewhere. Not. A. Thing.

The only reason we still have GS is we usually encounter opportunity to renew where 50% or more off, and we use the CG discount and Pilot/Flying J discount when it makes sense.
geotexZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have found that over 35 years of RV use and parts buying, with the internet you can do as good or better without the GS membership discount. You can get a 10% discount on nightly camping fees with the card, but you can also get discounts with FMCA, several other organizations and Escapees in a lot of places.

Ken
Old 12-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #10

I joined to see if the discounts were worth the membership and I found better deals elsewhere so I won't be renewing.
I will say i haven't been slammed with emails or mailings like others have.
But it's funny how they close your "positive" review in their forum after 2 weeks.
Guess they don't like junk mail either lol
Old 12-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #11

In my personal use, GS is worth it for the widely accepted 10% discount on the daily rate at what seems to be the vast majority of commercial rv parks. As to the coupons, etc. I have never used them as it seems most of the time I can find better deals at Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:03 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
As no one has mentioned it, the best reason to be a GoodSam member... PRICE MATCHING !!!!

Very often, CampingWorld online will have what I'm looking for at a LOWER price than the store or Amazon or wherever, but I don't believe it just has to be Camping World. I believe as long as the SKU matches, they will honor the lower price, but you must ask for it at the register. They are more than happy to do it, but you have to ask.

I have gotten some amazing deals this way. What I generally do is find what I'm looking for, then bring up CampingWorld on my smartphone and type in the SKU. I'd say at least 80% of the time, there is a lower price online. To make life easy I just save a screen shot so I can pull'em up quick at the register.

It's odd things too. Like the door grabber bar that we all eventually get.. was like $14 in the store... but online... the white one was $7.99. Do that a few times and the membership pays off quick.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:28 AM   #13

We had GS before camping world took it over. Went shopping for a Honda generator and with their discount it was $20 more than at Grainger's. We were looking for a key to one of our doors, CW told us we would have to replace the lock. The local RV shop had the key blank in stock and sent us to the lock shop up the road to have it cut.
We prefer state and National Parks to commercial campgrounds and use our geezer pass for 50% discounts there. So we have no reason to need a discount program, but have Escapees for other reasons. I would join FMCA before GS any day.
Teamfoxy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
As no one has mentioned it, the best reason to be a GoodSam member... PRICE MATCHING !!!!

Very often, CampingWorld online will have what I'm looking for at a LOWER price than the store or Amazon or wherever, but I don't believe it just has to be Camping World. I believe as long as the SKU matches, they will honor the lower price, but you must ask for it at the register. They are more than happy to do it, but you have to ask.

I have gotten some amazing deals this way. What I generally do is find what I'm looking for, then bring up CampingWorld on my smartphone and type in the SKU. I'd say at least 80% of the time, there is a lower price online. To make life easy I just save a screen shot so I can pull'em up quick at the register.

It's odd things too. Like the door grabber bar that we all eventually get.. was like $14 in the store... but online... the white one was $7.99. Do that a few times and the membership pays off quick.
Amazing deal is saving $6?
Why would you drive to the store to price match instead of just buying the one online for $7.99?
Maybe shipping was too much?
Being a shoe salesman I try to save all the money I can but my time and gas in the car is sometimes worth more than a few bucks