Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, is this thread timely. Today I was headed out of Houston (in my car) on I-10 and it was raining. I moved over to the left hand lane to pass an 18 wheeler. I was going about 70 MPH in a 65, since I had sped up to go around the tractor trailer to get out of the road mist he was throwing. I look in my rear view mirror to see a Mountain Aire coach flying up behind me, riding my bumper! I'm not exaggerating, he was a couple of feet from me and it was raining hard. When I was able to safely move back to the right lane, he barreled past--speeding up to at least 75 mph with his toad. I couldn't believe the behavior of such a moron.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I give as much space as I did with my 51 Studebaker. I feel a lot better that way
Old 03-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For me, 65 MPH is way too fast if its poring down rain.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #18
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Bad scene, I guess that's why they call it Denton.

Good one. Some people will get a bang out of that statement.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
Billboard pointed in wrong direction (top pic)? Hope no one was injured.
At least in Texas, billboards have two sides, and are usually visible from both direction.

The "Smith system" teaches a good deal more than 2 or 3 seconds for larger vehicles. Running with your bright lights on (in the daytime) is one way to decrease the number of people who will pull in front of you and actually stay there.

The storm in this story was a pretty classic "blue norther." The temperature dropped from dry and 73 to pouring rain and 53 degrees in less than a mile of travel. That will cause all kinds of problems with vision.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #20

This is the primary reason we have a dash cam recording whenever the RV is in motion. We even use in the toad most of the time.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #21

I have a rearview camera on the back of my 5ver when going down
the road at 55mph live in California cars get so close I can see the
people in the car guess they think they are just going to drive through
me
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadog View Post
I agree with the 2 second rule , but in the rain I go to 4 seconds. I learned that from a good friend who drove a bus. At 4 seconds my wife still complains.
Well... You know how wives are, Some of them are not happy unless they have something to be unhappy about. (I wish I was kidding).

Another true story. I was one of the camera operators.. As I mentioned before we have over 150 cameras that let us watch traffic in teh greater detroit area. You can view (but not control) most of them at MDOT dot Redirect if you like (It's a few links down)

We got a call of a stove in the road,, This leads to my 2-camera rule. "North of Caniff" the callers all said..

We have a camera AT Caniff.. No joy (S/B I-75 by the way was the freeway) nothing, no sign of any disruption in traffid,

We have a camera at Davision... Same result.

We have a camera at McNichols (ALso known as six mile) JOY there it was 2 cameras up-stream of where the callers said it was (hence the 2 camera rule, takes 'em two cameras to get the phone out and dial 9-1-1)

Gas range, Cameras are good enough that the OPERATOR (you will not see this good an image) could tell the difference between a gas and electric, in the 2nd lane

Law says drive in the right lane (But to be honest there is a very good reason to go lane 2, Lane 2 is usually in way better condition so we don't ticket)

The freeway is at least 4 lanes wide there

Well, I pulled back and put the stove at the bottom of the frame so we could watch folks as they approach.. I also sent troopers and called County road comission (First I might add, take care of business, then work on the TV show, More often than not those cameras were the best show on TV) The monitor by the way is a "Video wall" nine big screen NTSC televisions. Like at the Disney store... Only bigger...

Well we would watch folks approaching.. NOTE that there are 4 lanes, very low traffic.

We would see cars approach in 2's and 3's All in the 2nd lane, all right on each other's bumpers Now understand we could see a good half to 3/4 mile of road and that all the cars there were.

Well at the last second the front car woudl change lanes, and I'm fairly sure the next car or two,,, Needed a change of underwear.

Finally 3 cars and a pick showed up on the screen.. Like before the first car changed lanes at the last second, #2 likely needed clean undies, #3 appeard to hit #2 (Bumper kiss, not major damage) and #4, the pick up, did not swerve, did not slow down, Did not stop he place kicked that stove a good quarter mile and droped it on the shoulder.

Called the troopers off, Called the county back and suggested they put it on the day time list (No overtime).

Called the post and told 'em if anyone came in put the dispatch center down in the "W" (Witness) seat. Alas, nobody ever reported the accident.

It was fun watching them.... from the safety of the well constructed building where we were sitting miles away... But .. Well.

That's why I follow at some distance.

And the person who said some idiot will cut in front of you....

Yup, Some folks just got to get where they are going before you do.

What they forget is you are going to your funeral.. (I am going to mine, they are going to theirs) and frankly. I AM NOT IN A HURRY TO ARRIVE.

IN fact, I'd rather arrive late.. as late as possible.
(Yes that's a pun. Everyone arrives at their funeral late as in "The late__Insert name here___" but I also mean as late in time as possible.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
More Info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Part of a 9 car pile up near Denton, Texas.
Oh... there has to be LOTS more to this story. 'Glad we cancelled our trip through that same spot, for yesterday.

I notice TWO RVs are involved.

Comments following the news article implied that witnesses reported 80 mph speeds on the rainy roads.

Some of you might recall me posting pics of a similar pileup when my next door neighbor totalled three autos with his Prevost.

At the time, as is the case now, I can't help but wonder if the autos raced past and then cut in front of the RVs...

I mean, I set the safe distance we're quizzed on in our license upgrade materials only to, over and over, have it compromised when cars veer in front of me in that never-ending 70-80 mph slalom to shave five seconds off their daily commute.

Below: Excerpt from the Texas CDL Book

One good rule says you need at least one second
for each 10 feet of vehicle length at speeds below 40
mph. At greater speeds, you must add one second for safety.
For example, if you are driving a 40-foot vehicle, you
should leave four seconds between you and the vehicle
ahead. In a 60-foot rig, you’ll need six seconds. Over 40
mph, you’d need five seconds for a 40-foot vehicle and
seven seconds for a 60-foot vehicle.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Wow, is this thread timely. Today I was headed out of Houston (in my car) on I-10 and it was raining. I moved over to the left hand lane to pass an 18 wheeler. I was going about 70 MPH in a 65, since I had sped up to go around the tractor trailer to get out of the road mist he was throwing. I look in my rear view mirror to see a Mountain Aire coach flying up behind me, riding my bumper! I'm not exaggerating, he was a couple of feet from me and it was raining hard. When I was able to safely move back to the right lane, he barreled past--speeding up to at least 75 mph with his toad. I couldn't believe the behavior of such a moron.
The person driving the MH has a much better view then you driving your car beside a 18 wheeler and he also has the weight to keep him off aquaplanning like a car might do !
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
The person driving the MH has a much better view then you driving your car beside a 18 wheeler and he also has the weight to keep him off aquaplanning like a car might do !
I don't care if he has an angel in his pocket. There is NO GOOD REASON to tailgate...ever. I was not going to go any faster, and he was obviously trying to bully me.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 what SarahW said. I hope the person got where they were going in such a hurry, and that they stay there. I don't want to meet him out on the road, no matter how well I can see.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #27

Maybe he was delivering the MH and the toad was his way home.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
It doesn't matter how big you are, what your field of view is or how good a driver you think you are, there is never any good excuse for tailgating.

I always try to use the 1 second for every 10 feet under 40 mph and an additional second over 40 mph rule. In most cases my "space cushion" (the distance between you and the vehicle ahead) far exceeds that. If someone gets in front of me and shortens my space cushion I will change lanes if traffic is light, or I will slow down in an effort to maintain that space cushion.

Of course since I've retired I have developed two speeds; mosey and meander.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote