Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

I've seen those little, wind driven devices advertised which are supposed to put out a high pitched warning to deer on the highway when fastened to the front of one's rig. It seems to make sense to me but has anyone had experience using one while having dogs in your coach? I sure don't want to drive my pets nuts!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've seen those little, wind driven devices advertised which are supposed to put out a high pitched warning to deer on the highway when fastened to the front of one's rig. It seems to make sense to me but has anyone had experience using one while having dogs in your coach? I sure don't want to drive my pets nuts!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 12-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #3

I have no dog but use the deer away warnings and think they have worked for Me.My ferret can sleep going down the road next to Me and the things are just out side on the coach..Bushman
Old 12-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #4

I think those deer whistles are just a ploy. I had them on my motorcycle and still whacked a deer. Thank God I had my helmet on, I just ended with both arms broke and a heavily damaged helmet. I know at least 10 other folks here in WI who have had vehicle/deer collisions with those on their vehicles also.
mpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, glad you did't get hurt even more seriously. Sounds like you're right!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 12-29-2007, 05:21 PM   #6

According to actual studies (not anecdotal evidence or the "studies" done by the manufacturers) they don't seem to bother deer at all, so they probably wouldn't bother a dog either.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:57 PM   #7
jfb

Urban ledgend has it that they will "fuss up" horses in the trailer ahead of you....
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:29 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, mpost, I am truly sorry to hear that, we ride a lot in the mountains of Colorado and Utah... have had deer run in front of us (once,two deer, one following the other, just missed the second one). So glad you are essentially okay, but it is a very scary situation and we're very thankful for avoiding them. Anyway, we have the deer whistles on the bikes now, don't know if they work but I figure, it can't hurt. We are going to put them on the coach for the same reason. I'd be surprised if they bothered the dogs, I wouldn't think the sound would carry much into the coach, but it's an interesting question. So, I'm no help...

my Dad back in Western New York swears by the deer whistles, btw.

Brenda, of...
Old 12-29-2007, 07:36 PM   #9

I had been considering them but after reviewing the following had second thoughts:

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/deerw.html

http://www.thecherrycreeknews.com/content/view/1678/79/

http://polkwings.homestead.com/deerwhistles004.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/94127-post5.html

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublicatio...77/eb1677.html

http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmj/9705/rm970503.htm
Old 12-30-2007, 03:48 AM   #10

Maby they work and maby not I have them and have not hit a deer knock on wood but I will keep and if I have to replace them I will so I have faith in them and I have a lot of miles under My wheeles 2 4 and 18 and 6 also thats the Motor Home...Just My .02 worth Bushman