Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #43
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out these tracks.

Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #44
I won't stay at a campground that has a nearby RR track unless I have no other choice.

2004 Gulf Stream Conquest 6236 Ultra Limited Edition 24' Class C towing a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
RV Mods and Upgrades | The Blog - Full-Time RVing on a Budget | RVnumber.com?1
RVRoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #45
As a railroad employee, the absolute last thing I want to hear is a train horn!!!!! Especially while on vacation!
2008 Damon Challenger 376
EZ tow dolly
2015 dart GT
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #46
Many years ago I was praire-dog shooting in WY. We went to town on Friday evening to visit the Silver Boot in Cody. A man there said his house sat beside the tracks, and one night he sat up in bed wondering what woke him up. He checked the clock and realized the train had not passed and sounded the whistle at the road crossing. He phoned the sheriff and explained the train did not pass his house on schedule. The train had derailed, and the missing train sounds had woke him.
So I guess it is what you get used to when sleeping.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #47
When I was kid I spent a lot of time with my grandparents. The lived adjacent to tracks that ran logs up to Mt. Rainier. I would get up early to watch the morning train head out. I was pretty sad when they stopped running.

To this day the sound of trains gives me the warm fuzzies from childhood. I would probably go out of my way to camp NEAR tracks.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #48
Thor Owners Club
We live near the airport...So no...I love the noise...Peace D
Dickson and Tracy
2016 Thor Windsport 31S
2015 Fusion Titanium Hybrid
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #49
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
As a railroad employee, the absolute last thing I want to hear is a train horn!!!!! Especially while on vacation!
I have to say I know exactly how you feel.. Since I'm a ham radio operator, Under Michigan law I can have a police scanner in my car.. People (other hams) would sometimes ask why I did not.

Well.. after listening to police radios for 8 hours a day at work (I told 'em where to go for a living) the absolute LAST thing I wanted to listen to on my way home was police calls.

Now a train whistle thoug To me that's a lovely sound, does not bother me one bit. reminds me of home.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #50
Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Not so bad in an Excel
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #51
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I used to live 1 block from some busy tracks and got annoyed whenever they woke me at night. The first Christmas eve at about 3 am I awoke to the sound of the train tooting Jingle Bells. I laughed and turned over and went back to sleep. I was never awakened by the trains after that night and I'm convinced that no longer resenting them is responsible for my peaceful slumber.
Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #52
I've lived pretty close to the tracks a few times. Once, in Denver, they were within 100 feet of the house on Santa Fe and did their switching at night. Never bothered me, but made my light-sleeping mother miserable.

They were just a few blocks away when we lived on Bannock and then on Acoma. Don't remember even hearing them, but we played by the tracks all the time.

Many years ago, I had a pickup at a wheat plant in Hereford, TX. I backed up to the dock and went to sleep. Sometime in the night a train thundered past about 2 feet in front of my truck. Too close!

The only place the trains ever woke me up much was when we slept in the truck at the Baggett terminal in Birmingham, AL. The tracks are between the terminal and the Sloss Furnace next door. The problem there is that there was one of those very rare 90 degree crossings out in the street, and that made just a deafening noise.

Just think of this recording when you hear the train! (Click on the album to listen.)

Free Music, Listen to Music Free
Trucking to support the cats.
mrblanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #53
Country Coach Owners Club
It seems like RV parks are so often by train tracks! A few years ago we went to Oceanside RV Park in S. California . . . thought it would be great as it was so close to the beach. Also so very very close to train tracks. It drives me nuts, and I have those ear plugs people have mentioned to use in target practice and didn't think how helpful they would be in RV parks! Gonna pack them for the next trip!
John & Cathy Lamb
45' Marathon XLII
num1dgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #54
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep in mind that the railroads came first - the cross country roads followed the same path that the RR established. I hear the trains, but get right back to sawing logs.
Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #55
Originally Posted by r314fun
In defense of railroaders i have to say it is not their fault the Federal Railroad Administration mandates when , how far and how long the whistle must blow.
Some of those train drivers exceed the requirements. Probably rolling on with a big grin on their face.
'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis, 6.0L V8
Last RV, 2005 NRV Dolphin 5342 (2007-2014)
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #56
Easy on the train drivers...(engineers). It is all FRA mandated on how we blow the horn for the crossings. We don't like it either....many think that the cabs of the locomotives are plush and sound proof. This is so not the case. Some of the horns are just as loud inside the locomotive as it is outside. Engineers can also be fined for excessive horn blowing as well.

2008 Damon Challenger 376
EZ tow dolly
2015 dart GT
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote