Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do trains bother you in campgrounds?

I wake up all the time when a train rolls by.. I am a light sleeper to begin with and I never get the greatest sleep in areas with trains...
I-95 corridor is the worst. All the CG's seem to be right off the highway and next to the tracks.

I was at a CG up in Gorham, NH one time and we were right next to the tracks. I made , what I thought was, a big joke about how the train only comes by at 3 am. LOL Right on the money at 3 am it came through and rattled the MH.... Funny now, but not then.

Most of the CG hosts say you get used to it, however I never do.. I don't even like the traffic noise around home and have had to use a white noise recording...
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Clever title to the post there, CtCamper... "Do trains bother you in campgrounds?"
I'm tempted to say, "Nope! Never had a train bother me IN a campground before... 'would be mighty surprised to see one leave the tracks and amble over to my rig, for sure!"
Seriously though... If it is a real concern, one should simply ask when making reservations or at the desk, "How close are the nearest RR tracks?" ...and make an informed decision whether to stay.
I can certainly understand the unpleasant element of surprise at 3 AM, but in most matters such as these, "There are no victims... only volunteers."
Travel safe,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #3

Only time was at the Newmar factory. Every 10 or 20 minutes and they love to blow the whistles
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Reminds me of our recent overnight stay at a campground next to I-95 in St. George, SC. I was prepared for traffic noise but didn't know about the train tracks 50 ft away behind a stand of trees. Must have been a crossing nearby as each train blew its whistle long and loud.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Used to sleep on my boat in the marina on the west side of the Hudson River. The trains came by about every 30 minutes all night long and there is a grade crossing they blew the air horns for. Got so used to them, it never bothered me after a while so the ones "near" the campgrounds are cake. However, the engines of the tugboats would seriously wake you with the low throbbing that's transmitted through the water shortly before the wake dumped you out of bed and onto the floor. This, though, is not a factor in sleeping at the campground...
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Trains bother me at night ? No more than a sweeping left hook by Mike Tyson.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #7

When looking for a campground as we travel I do check the area maps for train track locations. Yes, they can be a real bother. Nearby might be acceptable, next to is definitely not. Once, entering Utah after a very days drive we decided on a stop at a lovely little town east of Salt Lake City. It was dusk, we were tired, and the park looked nice, so we stopped. The train track was on the other side of the big trees, less than 50 yards from the MH. A real wake up experience in the night. However; it is not only trains you must look out for, in Reno we once made reservations at a park on "The River", the ad did not mention that it was also on "The Runway!" Planes were coming over the MH wheels down as they landed at Reno Airport. Then at the Grand Canyon we once stayed at a park by a lovely open field. Go know that the field was used as a helicopter base (before the airport was constructed), we moved on the next day.
It is all part of the adventure.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #8

I too am a light sleeper. I take ear plugs with me to take the sounds out that I'm not used to. I have done this for years while traveling on the road.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Trains and Planes--many RV sites are located near trains and in flight paths----I wonder out loud if it because the land was relatively cheap. Fortunately? for me my hearing is about gone anyway---remove my hearing aids and sleep like a baby.

Count your blessings if you can hear the train-- get some ear plugs----the alternative is a nuisance to endure every day no matter where I am.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Yes! I too am a light sleeper and sensitive to the noise. I finally gave up and now sleep using soft gel ear plugs. They work like a champ.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #11

Guess I'm odd man out here as I love to hear them. To me it's sounds of the past bringing back memories of when I was a kid staying at my Grandmother's house located about a half block from the Burlington & Rock Island lines. Once I get to sleep, never hear them.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I put a post in here some time ago about a train beside a camp ground somewhere out in Montana I think. My Willa loves to hear a train in the distance but this was a double track on one side of undergrowth about 20 feet wide and the train tracks were right there. We didnt know this when we picked the camp spot. Without repeating the post it was a real surprise when the trains passing started shaking the coach apart. The real surprise was when two trains passed out beside the coach.

Anyhow, we love the sound of trains as long as they are in the ''far distance''away from the coach.....

Veterans day is coming on Monday May 30. Thank a vet for your freedoms...
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
When boating before RVing, we found that all marinas seemed to be located near train tracks.

Fortunately, destination RV parks do not seem to have that trait.

If we have shorepower, we run the rear overhead ac fan for white noise.

Otherwise we carry a small noise machine to run while dry camping.

Works great. We do not even hear the 5:30 am fishermen leaving in their diesel pickups.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Planes are another one lol Myrtle beach state cg and Virgina beach come to mind O_O..

I really think the engineer gets a hoot out of blowing the whistle as he passes all the campgrounds lol

Gel ear plugs, I'll have to look into that
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote