Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2016, 07:19 AM   #1

Do we make anything anymore?

I've always been a buy American kind of guy. But it is getting harder ad harder to find the things I need that are manufactured in America. I want to replace the bearings, races and seals on my trailer with some that are of a higher quality than what's coming from over seas. Timken, I thought, were American made. As it turns out some if not all of Timken's bearings come from, You guessed it, China. So now what? Anyone know of a company that make's high quality bearings made in the US? To me this is a safety issue so price really dosen't play a huge part.

stormrider15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #2

Do we still produce anything? Yes, we still produce stupid politicians!

69Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:23 AM   #3

So very true!!
stormrider15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #4

FWIW:

Fortune List Spotlights RV Rebound - Inside INdiana Business

I looked up one of the companies and recognized many of the brands. It seems that consolidation is taking place in the parts suppliers for our RV's. That leaves me wondering if they will be making most of the parts here much longer. Don't expect a quality increase. Everything today is about shaving cost, not building quality.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrider15 View Post
I've always been a buy American kind of guy. But it is getting harder ad harder to find the things I need that are manufactured in America. I want to replace the bearings, races and seals on my trailer with some that are of a higher quality than what's coming from over seas. Timken, I thought, were American made. As it turns out some if not all of Timken's bearings come from, You guessed it, China. So now what? Anyone know of a company that make's high quality bearings made in the US? To me this is a safety issue so price really dosen't play a huge part.
If you're looking for US made bearings be prepared to pay big bucks. I recently replaced the wheel bearings on a 2 axle equipment trailer. The off shore bearings from E trailer would have cost less than $20.00 each for the bearing and the race, with free shipping included.

I was somewhat hesitant to try off shore bearings and couldn't wait a week for delivery. I ended up going to NAPA. Each bearing and race assembly was over $55.00. That's a total of $220.00 for 4 US made bearings and races. Nearly triple the cost of those made off shore.

It's not hard to see why many people opt for the lesser price commodity.

Just this morning I was reading an article in the local paper. It was entitled "2 Out Of 5 Don't Earn Enough". The article went on to say that to make ends meet and save a little money the average family of 4 in our area had to have an income of nearly $103,000.00. So if the "average" family needs $103,00.00 to survive in the Midwest, what does it take to survive in places like California and New York?
Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 AM   #6

Timken, only difference. is Warranty.. and price.

front wheel bearing for my older Dodge truck
china are 155 each.. 1 year.
Timken, are 275 each.. 3 year. and made in China.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
Do we still produce anything? Yes, we still produce stupid politicians!
Old 09-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I suspect that if Timken wishes to keep their name as being high quality, they would be performing Quality Assurance testing on components they purchase, regardless of where they are manufactured, be it China, Mexico, Canada, or the US.

China quality has been generally poor, because of lack of accountability . Its nice having a 6,000 miles of water between the manufacture and the distributor.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #9

It is hard to find, but they are out there.

Wheel Bearings Inc

Unfortunately, The only concern for parts stores is profit margin so you won't find them available unless you visit an actual bearing store. I sold aftermarket auto parts for a couple decades and I almost puked the first time I saw National/Timken with foreign bearings.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You're right! It's hard to find ANYTHING that's made in America!

Buy you know, we have ourselves to blame for that. We want the cheapest price we can find and try to tell ourselves that that Chinese junk is just as good! If we had refused to buy it way back years ago when it first started flooding the market, things would be different now!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
You're right! It's hard to find ANYTHING that's made in America!

Buy you know, we have ourselves to blame for that. We want the cheapest price we can find and try to tell ourselves that that Chinese junk is just as good! If we had refused to buy it way back years ago when it first started flooding the market, things would be different now!
Your right Joe, but then there would be no Wallyworld.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:37 AM   #12

Back in the 'day', we were inundated with 'Made in Japan', 'Made in Taiwan', and were unhappy. Then, China, Indonesia, and Mexico became the go-to countries for cheap products. Now, we sing, 'Those were the days my friends'~!
Old 09-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrider15 View Post
Our son works for a division of SKF in South Carolina but I don't know where their other products are made
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #14

I just ordered two new Spicer U Joints for my coach. I asked the parts guy if they were made in USA. He said, I'm not sure but I think so. When I went to pick them up, I checked the box and it says "Product of the USA". What does that mean? Is that the new term for "Made in China under USA Licence"?