Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do We Need To Form A Consumer Group?

It seems lately, in some of the posts on our iRV2 site, that several times the mfg. of our RV's has come up short as an industry, in providing reliable RV's and or components.
Obviously we all love our RV's regardless of type.
Do any of you think we need to start a grassroots effort toward creating an army sized "Consumer Group" to police, and call out some of these problems, and work WITH the mfg's in relation to consumer supprt, and satisfaction?
I know there are a myriad of problems out there, some may be an industry wide problem that we could help to change.
Anybody else thinking along these lines?
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Didn't the Affinity Group do that?? That's turned out well, hasn't it? (Too much of "the fox guarding the henhouse", as far as I'm concerned.)

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #3

I don't think the Affinity Group could ever represent our interests, they really are on the other side of the fence from the consumer. I think a consumer group is definitely needed but there is one big problem: we have no clout. If we don't buy these RV's with their quality issues, what do we buy? When Detroit was producing low quality automobiles the consumer was able to buy form Japan and Detroit's offerings vastly improved. We don't have that option with RV's.

I hate to be so negative on any issue but I just don't see any alternatives.

Bruce
brucerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We also have RIVA but again the foxes guard the hen house. With the "Go RVing" campaign, the RV manufacturers see an "endless" supply of newbies to fleece and are not concerned about building a quality RV. The campaign makes RVing so attractive that all of the young people have to get a BIG trailer so that each of their 5 kids has a private bunk and bath. So they build a big box as cheaply as possible to accommodate the space requirements and as cheaply as possible. Thes new owners are offered credit, so they max out what they can buy and get themost space possible.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents worth.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
All of the RV forums are about as close as we can get. Folks that are buying need to do some due diligence. They need to get on the net and ask questions, then consider some folks have unrealistic expectations. These are after all homes on wheels, driving over under maintained roads. Things will break. But once you weed out the cranks that are unhappy with anything you will get a fair idea of what to expect. If you form a realistic expectaion and do your homework you can come out ok. JMO
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #6

I have limited experience with RV's. But from that limited exeperiece it seems to me that RV's are built like crap. I'm for anything that will make better built, more reliable, longer lasting RV's.
slackercrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercrust View Post
I have limited experience with RV's. But from that limited exeperiece it seems to me that RV's are built like crap. I'm for anything that will make better built, more reliable, longer lasting RV's.
Just what is your limited experience?
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #8

I agree something is needed, however I don't have any idea what. It is obvious from many posts here that there are too many problems with the industry. You can be as careful as possible in checking out a company's quality and reputation and still get burned. However, it is impossible to know everything - especially for new RV owners. As long as too many are willing to accept mediocre quality and make excuses for the industry, we'll get poor quality. We should demand value for our dollars.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBell View Post
It seems lately, in some of the posts on our iRV2 site, that several times the mfg. of our RV's has come up short as an industry, in providing reliable RV's and or components.
Obviously we all love our RV's regardless of type.
Do any of you think we need to start a grassroots effort toward creating an army sized "Consumer Group" to police, and call out some of these problems, and work WITH the mfg's in relation to consumer supprt, and satisfaction?
I know there are a myriad of problems out there, some may be an industry wide problem that we could help to change.
Anybody else thinking along these lines?
Very short; my answer two letters-------NO

Long answer: Form away;---- I don't know about everyone else but at my age I just go with the flow.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #10

Just like houses, boats, planes, cars, TV's, cellphones, guns, even tents... You get what you pay for.

If you expect Foretravel quality on a Four Winns budget, it just ain't gonna happen no matter how loudly you complain. Like anything else, you need to set your bar and live within it and it's drawbacks.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Just like houses, boats, planes, cars, TV's, cellphones, guns, even tents... You get what you pay for.

If you expect Foretravel quality on a Four Winns budget, it just ain't gonna happen no matter how loudly you complain. Like anything else, you need to set your bar and live within it and it's drawbacks.
I don't think you are ever guaranteed you get what you pay for and should feel lucky if you do. I cannot afford a Foretravel (which is fine with me) and don't expect to have the quality and sophistication in my humble RV. I do expect an RV that is roadworthy and doesn't leak at every opportunity, it's always a plus if the appliances function too.

Warranty repairs are expensive for a manufacturer (even though they pay a discounted rate), many manufactures have found themselves in serious financial difficulty due to high warranty costs. I've never understood why so many manufacturers are willing to pay for repairs instead of building the units properly to begin with.

Bruce
brucerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerob View Post
I don't think the Affinity Group could ever represent our interests, they really are on the other side of the fence from the consumer. I think a consumer group is definitely needed but there is one big problem: we have no clout. If we don't buy these RV's with their quality issues, what do we buy? When Detroit was producing low quality automobiles the consumer was able to buy form Japan and Detroit's offerings vastly improved. We don't have that option with RV's.

I hate to be so negative on any issue but I just don't see any alternatives.

Bruce
The clout "we" have is to buy or not, to buy new or stick with used units or to boycott any manufacturer who sells units consistently with too many faults and issues. We can just keep our present units which we've worked hard at getting fault free and let them keep their new junk. I think we need to start with the RV Refrigerator manufacturers. We KNOW the Amish can make them work well; it's time for Dometic and Norcold to get a clue and do it right rather than on the cheap to maximize profit. Who out there are tired of all the recalls and upgrades?? It's already happening on some scale with those who are opting for residential units and Amish upgrades. My Norcold is almost 30 years old and works great; they obviously knew how to do it right once!! And guess what?? My 'fridge has NO electronic boards on it!!
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Just like houses, boats, planes, cars, TV's, cellphones, guns, even tents... You get what you pay for..

So why then did the Japanese almost bury the US auto manufacturers? Their little inexpensive cars had few if any problems. Then as they made bigger and fancier cars, the quality was consistent. I'm sorry, but no matter what you spend on anything, it should work as designed. I wonder what some would say if a slide only went half way out? Oh well, you still have enough room - live with it.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re The affinity group.. They are merchants, and thus can not represent customers.. We, on the other hand are customers. I have two things that I'll say here:

1: I do beleive a "Consumer's Group" or if you like Union, not to be confused with the folks who publish consumer's reports, which by the way I do not trust to wrap fish with. Is a good idea.. A well formed consmer's group would include people from many walks of life including Mechanics and engineers who know how an RV is, or should, be built, and Lawyers that know the law and can advise members of how it should be applied.. Perhaps even an "original thinker" or two who can see other sides or other angles if you like. (Sometimes the obvious approach is NOT the best approach)

The second thought:

Yes, we see a lot of "Less than satisfied" customers posting here and in other forums.. But reason for this may be simply that 1: The squeaky wheel gets the grees, and thus they are Squeaking as loudly as possible, and 2: The wheel squeaks BECAUSE it needs greasing.

That is: You don't often find people posting "I got my new Dream Mobile 40'er last month (or better yet year) and it has been wonderful, I have had absolutly ZERO problems. Runs perfectly, Slides never give me any problems bla bla bla.

You never see posts like that because that customer has no need to come here and find out how to fix a problem.... When a problem comes up.. THEN he's suddenly upset and THEN he posts. Thus we see only the unhappy customers.

Of course: Idiot technicians who don't know gas from liquid.. Don't help.