Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
"designed to carry more than 10 persons"

You will not find a motorhome "designed" to carry more that 10 people.
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I talked to the Mid-West Truckers Assn and they said RV's are exempt accept when used by NASCAR personnel or other individuals for business purposes. They agree the Il. sec.of state mentions nothing about rec.vehicles being exempt in its NON-CDL booklet. Glad I got the news before the Doc put on his rubber gloves.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is a medical examiner's certificate.. Don't you watch CSI or Law & Order or NCIS type shows..

IT's the form Ducky (Dr. Mallard, NCIS) fills out after you leave his table of course.

And yes, I'm joking.

It is a card required by some PROFESSIONAL drivers saying that they are medically able to operate the vehicle.. And I'm among the many here who have never heard of it being applied to an RV which is woner operated not for hire or business.

Now if I ran a business out of my RV.. Then I am not sure if I'd need med card or not. If I were driving YOUR RV for pay.. I'm fairly sure I would need one.

But driving MY RV for my own pleasure and for no business than perhaps some emergency response stuff I might voulenteer for on occasion (After all I am a Ham Radio operator, we do that kind of stuff.. The Red Cross my say "We are the first to respond" but who do you think talks them in.. HAM RADIO operators who do not respnd, only because they are already there, that's who)

I have never heard of such a requirement for any person operating his personal vehicle for his personal pleasure

Of course, there are 52 states (And I live in the state of Confusion) (51 in chase you don't know is Washington D.C.)
Old 04-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I don't have the regulations, but I know that the federal rules state that all vehilcles over 10,000# GVW must carry a fire extinguisher and have a set of refeltive triangles. Also the driver must hold a valid medical card. The rules are changing everyday boys, the powers to be need money and they are getting it anyway they can. All of you with 1 ton dually's take note, even if you are using it privately.
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Here is the FMCSA/DOT regulation website. Perhaps you can point us to these Federal regulations AS THEY APPLY TO NON-COMMERCIAL VEHICLES AND DRIVERS.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
They haven't published them yet, but they are in effect, not supposed to be fining yet. Ask your state police that handle commercial vehicle enforcement. I'm just saying that they are changing the rules everyday. and what used to be isn't necessarily true today.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
I'm sorry Rusty, I didn't say where I got my information, Ohio State Highway Patrolman, that works in the commercial vehicle enforcement section. He is the one that is giving the information, and he should know, he is the one that will be writing the citations. I don't like it any more than the next guy, but a fire estinguisher is a good idea anyhow, and it doesn't hurt to have the reflective triangle for safety. The medicak card I have to have anyway, because I have a CDL. Just trying to give a heads up as to what is coming down the pike.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
They haven't published them yet, but they are in effect, not supposed to be fining yet. Ask your state police that handle commercial vehicle enforcement. I'm just saying that they are changing the rules everyday. and what used to be isn't necessarily true today.
Ummm.....right. You'll pardon me if I'm somewhat skeptical as of this 5 minutes.

As far as Texas DPS personnel are concerned, I've never been stopped or had any discussions with commercial vehicle enforcement personnel - they don't waste their time with non-commercial operators.

Rusty
Old 04-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
I wish I could say that I didn't have any discussions with them, my commercial trucks usually cost me 100 to 250 bucks everytime they decide to converse with me. I hope that I am wrong on this, but I don't think so. There are too many guys usung non commercial trucks for their buisness, that is what is bringing all this on.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
There are too many guys using non commercial trucks for their business, that is what is bringing all this on.
Those who are doing so are certainly subject to FMCSA/DOT regulation. The non-commercial operators who are NOT using their vehicles for business, however, aren't. The Federal government regulates interstate COMMERCE (i.e., commercial vehicles and operators). Private RV operators are not commercial.

Rusty
Old 04-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
I hear what you are saying Rusty, and I agree with you for the most part. Like I said earlier, a fire extinguisher and reflective triangles are a good idea to have in your TV any ways, now the medical card you probably can beat. It has been nice having a discussion with you, and I mean that sincerly.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #26

The medical is a Class 3 airmans physical. We need one for NHRA drag racing. Look up FAA flight physical. Same thing. I have to have one to pilot plane.Mines 1st class.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Here is an excerpt from the manual:

Federal Regulations for Second Division Vehicles

A second division vehicle is:
7 designed to carry more than 10 persons; Would this not eliminate all RV's?
7 designed or used for living quarters;
7 designed for pulling or carrying freight or cargo;
7 a first division vehicle remodeled for use as a second division vehicle; or
7 a first division vehicle used and registered as a school bus.
Operators of a second division vehicle with a gross motor vehicle weight of 10,001 pounds or more are required to carry a Medical Examiner's Certificate with them at all times while operating the vehicle. In addition, drivers are required to maintain a file containing a written test verification, road test verification and other records.

The complete manual can be found here. Just click on Rules of the Road for Non-CDL Vehicles
My comment is in redwithin the quote.
As an aside to this conversation. Note page 10 of the referenced link. It appears 42' is the maximum legal length for a motor home in IL.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #28
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jim,
You're safe. Only required in Texas for CDL licenses. Well, it was when I was driving. Laws do change I guess.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote