Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny367 View Post
Yes I did invite them and we agreed to split the costs for the campground 3 ways but I did not bring up the cost of fuel because the truth of the matter is that the cost of gas/ driving with just me or with 2 additional people is pretty much the same so I wasn't intitially concerned with being remibursed for fuel. But the fact is that their lodging costs of staying in my RV were a fraction of what it would of cost if they stayed in a hotel or motel. I guess I am just sick of being a maid cleaning up after other people's messes in my RV and then having to foot the bill for fuel.
Sounds like he did make an invitation and after the fact realized he should have also asked them to split the cost of fuel. The solution is not to invite friends along next tme. Obviously they don't feel obligated to clean up afterward. Maybe they were being slugs or quite possibly they are ignorant as to what it takes to maintain an RV

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
What we're talking here is "Common Sense". Common sense on the part of the "friends" that rode along with you. Common sense would dictate, "Hey, let me help you pay for the fuel, to get "Me" to and from the "fun points" of this vacation/trip with "YOUR" motor home, using your equipment etc. Since "I" didn't use any of "MY" equipment/my motorhome etc. I'll help pay for the use of yours. A true friend would think like that.

And, if it were me, as the "ride along", I'd demand that the OP take the money if I offered it. Common sense, common decency, common courtesy sure seems to be slipping away these days. So, you'll have to deal with it. While it may be awkward to ask for a helping hand in the fuel bill, this "friend" should realize that fuel is not free, especially now days. So, how to handle this, it's up to you. Good luck.
Scott
Yup.......Put me in your Camp. Well said.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #31

Some people are givers and others are not. I have never believed I could insult an insensitive person. I am a host and others are not. Most people don't know how to give, they are too small. Be the big one and you learned a lesson about people. I've been with another couple for dinner and they want to split the bill even tho they consumed a lot more. It only happens once and then it's separate bills. They were mooches.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #32

I just came back from a camping trip with 3 other friends. We planned the trip and when it came time to pay up, we split all costs between the 4 of us. When we returned home they made me fuel up and we also split that cost as well. I never asked them nor would I have asked but they insisted.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
The OP said he brought "a" friend and "his brother". I think one of them being the OPs brother adds a twist to any adivce we might give regarding friends as family is different... And each family is different from another. IMHO, if neither your friend or brother offered to somehow offset your fuel costs and were slobs that didn't respect your mh, I would think twice before ever going away with them again....maybe next trip take the wife and another couple more like you....
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
. As I was fueling up they offered me a $20 bill??? I thanked them but told them no thanks , the trip is on me..
That's funny!

We all deal with this at one time or another. I really like the idea floated earlier that everyone throw ($ fill in the amount) before the trip and all expenses come out of that pot.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #35
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've never had guests in our MH other than my grand daughter for a couple of nights. However I used to go scuba diving with a friend who had his own boat. We would divide the fuel cost by the number of people on board, not counting the boat owner, and hand him the cash. Since he was providing a $100K powerboat it seemed like the least we could do.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #36

Wow, what a range of perspectives. How one handles one's brother is their business and I am sure the OP knows how such a request would go. As for the friend, all I say is that if he is someone I call "friend" then as host he pays for nothing beyond what he may volunteer. Planning a trip with three buds, forgot to mention the fuel, it is all about how you go about requesting assistance that counts. When dealing with friends and family, emotions and feelings can come out pretty quick so it is always best to charm the money out of them if you can, if it or they are worth it to you.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #37

Two friends love the beach as much as I do. They know I am always ready to go. Our deal is I leave with a full tank of fuel and bring it home on full. We split everything on the road. I furnish all the other things that keep this RV on the road and do the before and after cleaning. My friends are more thoughtful than the OP’s. They plan the meals, buy the groceries and do most of the cooking to compensate for my other RV expenses. Eating out or adventures every pays their own way.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #38

What Sarah said. I noticed you said you split the cost of the campground? Most CGs have a standard charge which includes 2 people and a (usually) small charge for each additional person. If that's the case, the CG costs to you may have been substantially less. Maybe your invited guests thought that would cover it? I consider washing, waxing, maintaining etc my RV equipment to be my cross to bear. If your guests were slobs and made a mess and didn't clean up their stuff, that would be the last trip for them.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
I vote with Sarah!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
Two friends love the beach as much as I do. They know I am always ready to go. Our deal is I leave with a full tank of fuel and bring it home on full. We split everything on the road. I furnish all the other things that keep this RV on the road and do the before and after cleaning. My friends are more thoughtful than the OPís. They plan the meals, buy the groceries and do most of the cooking to compensate for my other RV expenses. Eating out or adventures every pays their own way.
Those are good freinds.......Keep them.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #41

A group trip with friends, work out expense splitting ahead of time. If fuel is forgotten, I would hope that my friends see how much is being paid out and offer to chip in. However, considering that, for most RV trips, fuel is probably the biggest expense, I highly doubt I would forgot to include that in.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny367 View Post
I just got back from a trip with a friend of mine and my brother.

On this trip I incurred a $360.00 gasoline bill and I am debating whether or not to ask them to split the cost of fuel with me 3 ways. They both stayed in my RV for the duration of the trip and we all spilt the cost of the campground 3 ways. My wife thinks I am being cheap by even thinking of asking to split the fuel bill 3 ways. All 3 of us guys all make about the same money and I was the poor guy that spent 3 days washing and then rubbing out the RV before the trip so that she would be all "pretty" for our trip. I also cleaned the interior before and after the trip. I sometimes feel that I am being used in that when it comes time to washing or waxing the RV nobody ever seems to have the time but they always have time to take a trip with me in my RV.

Am I being petty in considering that we split the fuel costs for the trip 3 ways? What would you do? What do you do when you are in this situation?
Too late now. Next time either leave them home or ask them to share expenses beforehand.

Tags
gas