Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #43

Many years ago in my working days, I would often be invited to go out for lunch with several of my coworkers. Since I didn't work with CPAs, the usual method was to just divvy up the check evenly among the 8-10 diners. However, there were those who couldn't have lunch without appetizers, alcoholic beverages, expensive entrees and dessert, I didn't need any of those "extras" and my lunch tab ended up being over twice what I would normally spend. A couple of us finally insisted on separate checks, we were tired of paying for the extras and the "high rollers" stopped asking us to join them. They found some other pigeons, at least for a while, to help pay their epicurean tastes.

road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Who Pays

I think if a person provides the MH, then the people invited need to pay the expenses between them and the owner pay nothing provided this is discussed in advance. As the owners is still paying much more $$$.

JUST THE WAY I FEEL!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #45

Seems like some pretty logical opinions. A agree that you can't go back now. My opinion may be different that other's. I think you need to give your friends a way to "save face". They likely should have paid for gas in some proportion. But after the fact there is no way for you to ask or collect without either making them feel bad, or switch to a defensive attitude.

This spring I took a trip with a friend. He told me up front he couldn't pay for hardly anything on the trip. I agreed to pay, so we went and had a good time. There was a weird moment. I needed a single 9v battery, the one in the smoke detector died causing the dreaded beep. We stopped and my friend bought supplies for himself. Personal care stuff, maybe $20 worth. But he didn't offer to take the $4 battery and throw it in his cart, my only item. Tight on $ is fine, but I was footing the bill for maybe $500 in gas and other bills. I let it go, but man.

Just two weeks ago I took another trip. We take the trip every year and we always split costs. Every other fill for fuel, every other night for hotels. This year we took my MH, and we discussed how it would only be slightly cheaper because the extra fuel costs will eat up much of the hotel savings. It was full to the neck with $150+ of fuel as we left. I paid the first $130 fill. A the next stop I mention the previous bill and pay another $125. He hands me $100 in cash. At the final fuel stop I expect him to pay, but instead he asks if I want a pop and walks away from the pump. Another $130 on my tab. My MH sits in my driveway right now with 3/8 of a tank of fuel. It seems it cost me about 90% of the lodging and transportation bills for the privilege of driving the entire trip and using my equipment.

The money doesn't really matter. I'll make more. I can't make more friends like the ones I have. I remember the huge number of great times we have had together. There are just a few little times I wish I could forget.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaycj View Post

The money doesn't really matter. I'll make more. I can't make more friends like the ones I have. I remember the huge number of great times we have had together. There are just a few little times I wish I could forget.
I like your attitude.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #47

I plan trips for groups of friends. We went to Costa Rica a couple of times, and all over the U.S. The way we handle it: There are certain costs we know up front, such as lodging charges or attraction fees. They are divided equally and paid up front. There are certain costs that can be estimated. For those we have a "kitty", into which we each deposit an equal amount, such as $100.00 each. The kitty covers fuel/transport and on-the-road meals and can be added to at any time, or divvied up at the end of the trip. The key is that EVERYONE has to contribute the same amount at the same time which sits in the kitty until needed or the trip is over. Using this method keeps it fair for everyone and deprives no one and leaves no one feeling used. If you spend more, that is your decision. If you pick up a charge for more than yourself, that too is your decision, to be discussed and made on the spur of the moment with no hard feelings.

Sounds like making mountains out of molehills, but it prevents feelings like you are having now and eliminates any resentment due to anyone's differing circumstances. It makes it really easy to do again as well, as there are no questions, this is just the way it is.

Usually no one ends up spending more than the poorest group member can afford and everyone comes home satisfied.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #48

The time to figure out how the costs are to be shared is before the trip starts. While $360 is a lot of money if the bill does not cause you to miss your mortage payment on your house or car note then I would file this experience for future reference. Friends are not as easy to replace as is $360. Even though my MH is not very grand in comparision to most others, I am still proud of it and love to have guests. I also buy the food so that I eat what I like to eat. Next time when you figure out how to share the costs of things include gas in the conversation.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #49

Gulf Streamers Club
Two years ago my best friend of 35 years John and I took a trip in my MH from Houston, Texas to the west coast and back, about 7000 miles. Sometimes I paid fuel, sometimes him. Sometimes I paid CG fees, sometimes him. We split food outside the MH, and usually paid separately for food to prepare in the RV. He paid for his booze, not very much, and I paid for my beer, quite a lot. Overall he paid more than I did. He told me that is what he wanted, because he has more money than I do.

As I said before, my FRIEND, John.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #50

Lots of good advice in this thread, but it seems to me if you are going to own expensive toys and then expect your friends to help pay to operate them.....you need to be very clear upfront .....as some friends may not wish to participate!

Last thing I need is a friend with a Gulf StreamV asking me to 50/50 the fuel costs "after" we've landed & he's invited me to Vegas for the weekend. Thanks.... but I'll go commercial and meet ya there!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
This sort of thing - fuel especially - should be worked out before hand - if it has to be worked out at all. They know the thing needs fuel and should have offered to split it. Then you could have taken the $ or declined. I would decline. I also would not expect them to clean up on either end if the trip.

When you have guests to the house for dinner, does your wife have the other wives come over and vacuum and clean the bathrooms before and after while you and the husbands mow the grass and clean the pool. Attachment 44879
It doesn't cost me $400-$500.00 to have 2 friends over the house for dinner, which is the issue here.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Lots of good advice in this thread, but it seems to me if you are going to own expensive toys and then expect your friends to help pay to operate them.....you need to be very clear upfront .....as some friends may not wish to participate!

Last thing I need is a friend with a Gulf StreamV asking me to 50/50 the fuel costs "after" we've landed & he's invited me to Vegas for the weekend. Thanks.... but I'll go commercial and meet ya there!
Out of all this is the closest to my opinion.
It is always awkward, but if it is known up front it is OK in my book. There have been times where some of us do not go on all outings, due to many reasons. No hard feelings.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post

I should not have to ask a true friend to contribute for Gasoline (especially when all of the other expenses related to the trip were split 3 ways. why would the Gasoline be free?) I would hope that they would at least OFFER to help with the fuel expense. As I said earlier, we all make about the same money. It's not like I am a independently wealthy.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I suggest the following: next time all three of you throw $250 in a hat and draw for all expenses from there, replenish if needed, split what is left by 3.
This is what we do that way everyone participates in the good and the bad.

Also I believe it depends on the hierarchy of who the guests are. Peers, buddy's, they put in the hat.

Our kids, most relatives at our invitation, I cover it. And generally they reciprocate by buying a meal or a entry fee etc.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny367
IAm I being petty in considering that we split the fuel costs for the trip 3 ways? What would you do? What do you do when you are in this situation?
Quote:
I should not have to ask a true friend to contribute for Gasoline (especially when all of the other expenses related to the trip were split 3 ways. why would the Gasoline be free?) I would hope that they would at least OFFER to help with the fuel expense. As I said earlier, we all make about the same money. It's not like I am a independently wealthy.
Darn.....I hate it when I misinterpret a post. Here I thought you were asking for some opinions about "what would you do?" My bad....looks like you've pretty much settled on your position. Rock-on!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

It doesn't cost me $400-$500.00 to have 2 friends over the house for dinner, which is the issue here.
Exactly - which is why it should not have been an after thought if it was a thought at all. I have 2 or 3 dinner parties a year and have local musicians whom I pay to play - do a huge prime rib, boiled shrimp, crab claws, etc. and supply the beverages. The musician eat too. They are friends but i pay them because they give up a payable work night - but they give me a price break cause they are also enjoying the party and common friends. I do not invite my friends and then collect a cover charge before I let them in, or worse, present them with a bill on their way out the door or a week or two later. And I am aware of the cost of diesel. But the crux of the biscuit isn't how much it was - it was when to ask - the point Jack underlined with the friends aircraft. :headbang:

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas