Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
When you volunteer to be a host or work camp can you sub-contract out your turn to clean the bathrooms?
Volunteering isn't a business. If your job description doesn't fit you then don't do it.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 12:36 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Managed a restaurant for 20 years. I had people clean restrooms for me and I cleaned many myself , and mopped floors etc for all those years. Nothing wrong with the work, but not all have the stomach for it. People are unbelievable in the mess they make in a public restroom. Makes one wonder about there own personal restroom. After many more years delivering product to people's homes I don't wonder.
Know what the duties entail and be prepared. Everyone has their own list of won't do or can't stomach. Just don't accept a "job" you can't do.

BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:11 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Volunteering isn't a business. If your job description doesn't fit you then don't do it.
I have no intention of volunteering or work camping. The only reason I even mentioned it is DW and I jokingly talked about volunteering at a state park we love that is very difficult to get reservations at. She said "no way will I clean bathrooms". My response was "maybe we could hire it out, it would be worth the money to get a site here".

All the 12 or so years we have camped she has never used the public bath house. I have only used the urinals. One of our reasons for having an RV was to not have to.

BTW both our job descriptions are "retired".
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I have no intention of volunteering or work camping. The only reason I even mentioned it is DW and I jokingly talked about volunteering at a state park we love that is very difficult to get reservations at. She said "no way will I clean bathrooms". My response was "maybe we could hire it out, it would be worth the money to get a site here".

All the 12 or so years we have camped she has never used the public bath house. I have only used the urinals. One of our reasons for having an RV was to not have to.

BTW both our job descriptions are "retired".
X2....I agree and we are in the same situation as you and have asked the same questions. To us it's not about how much money you save for the spot as much as it is getting a CG Host spot in your favorite CG. That is the only reason we even considered doing it. Much like you we never use the CG restrooms, even in the really nice CG's, and are job descriptions are also "retired". I don't mind any of the other chores that may be required to get that spot, but cleaning the bathrooms is not an option for us.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:02 PM   #33

Volunteering isn't about getting a spot in a campground. It's about helping out in those parks that you enjoy. It's very gratifying and gives you purpose. The public parks are so short-handed and money is seriously lacking. The parks really do appreciate volunteers. You would certainly notice a big difference in the parks if there weren't volunteers. For instance, Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park has over 2,000 volunteers per season. A lot of what they do would just not be done.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Volunteering isn't about getting a spot in a campground. It's about helping out in those parks that you enjoy. It's very gratifying and gives you purpose. The public parks are so short-handed and money is seriously lacking. The parks really do appreciate volunteers. You would certainly notice a big difference in the parks if there weren't volunteers. For instance, Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park has over 2,000 volunteers per season. A lot of what they do would just not be done.
If you read several of the posts it appears many people are doing it to get a spot and save money, which to me is no big deal as both the CG/National Park and the Volunteer benefit. I know all about Volunteering and the purpose as I have done it in a CG before, as well as currently being involved in many Volunteering efforts in our Community. Like I said I would have no problem doing any type of work that benefits the CG/National Parks, just won't clean up restrooms that other people take advantage of and leave messes for others to clean. There are many opportunities out there that don't require restroom cleaning.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:28 PM   #35

We considered volunteering this year at one of the local Army Corps CGs but by the time we knew we were able to commit the time the only job left was the restrooms and fish stations. No thanks. There are those who don't mind doing that but for me, I'll pay the site fee. We all have choices.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:31 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have stayed at two state parks that are within about twenty miles of each other I will leave nameless. At one the CG hosts are friendly, helpful and keep the place immaculate. After a site empties out it takes about five minutes for them to be there cleaning up anything left, clearing out the fire ring and raking the site so it looks great.

The other one I'm hard pressed to figure out exactly what they do. The sites are marked campground host like any other but there never seems to be anyone around. The times we did see a CG host their dog was loose breaking the CG (and state) rules.

So I have to agree that the volunteers are there to help and make patrons experience there a good one. Don't see any reason why if they put in the work they shouldn't get a free ride on the site fee and/or pay though. Those that are MIA are the fault of the management. In those two parks I am sure there is no shortage of volunteers so they should do their part or make room for more enthusiastic people.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We were recently at Assateague Island National Seashore, staying at the bayside campground. There were two host camping spots in our loop, both filled, and I have no idea what they did. Everything I saw being done was done by rangers, including bathroom duties. There was a girl on a bike doing "pony patrol", whatever that is. The campsites had a lot of litter, mostly cig butts and scraps of paper. To me, that would be the most basic of responsibilities of a volunteer.
I would love to try a volunteer gig someday, but my knees being in the shape they're in preclude any sort of vigorous work. Hopefully that will change after surgery.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #38

Baraff: There are state parks that all they want is a 'presence' and just being on site to answer questions. To us, that would be extremely boring.

There are also parks that just do the bare minimum to keep an attractive park. That's not for us.

We enjoy some 'light' manual duties. We also like interpretation and have done quite of bit in the way of lighthouse tours and tours of fish hatcheries. It's interesting to learn the history of the area and the lighthouses and fun to mingle with the tourists. We always felt we 'entertained' them in a small way. We also did the 'Trash Tracker' on Lake Powell in Arizona. We lived on a pontoon boat and hauled a barge behind us along with a speedboat. We cleaned up the shoreline for a few hours a day and played with the speedboat the rest of the time - the national recreation area's boat, not ours. We were able to see places that many tourists would never go, such as a campsite of Teddy Roosevelt's, still intact with it's iron bed. Other gigs the rangers treated us to special outings and even dinners in their homes.

Each park has different requirements. Also, we just applied to areas that we'd really like to be. We never sent out 'blanket' applications. In fact, for a few gigs we were actually camping in the parks and enjoyed them so much that we just went to the office to apply. That was a very helpful way of doing it because we could talk to the employees/hosts and likewise, they could meet us. It worked out great.

By the way, yes, your knees will greatly improve after surgery. Ours did!
Old 08-05-2016, 02:33 AM   #39

[QUOTE=dexters;3187748]If not you; who?

The people who get paid a living wage, that's who.
RangeMaggotBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:38 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Each park has different requirements. Also, we just applied to areas that we'd really like to be. We never sent out 'blanket' applications. In fact, for a few gigs we were actually camping in the parks and enjoyed them so much that we just went to the office to apply. That was a very helpful way of doing it because we could talk to the employees/hosts and likewise, they could meet us. It worked out great.

twogypsies - Talking to the management at a park you really like is a great idea. But what happens when you want to go somewhere new? Do you have a specific source for finding places that "fit" your wants or do you just slog through all the listings looking for ones that will work for you?

I have found that even within a given state's park system, different parks have different "job descriptions" requirements. Finding places where I want to volunteer is a time-consuming task. I must admit that I have found there are some parks where the tasks seem to be negotiable. But this only makes the task more onerous as it requires contacting parks individually.

Of course no matter where you host there always seems to be that little phrase, "other tasks that are helpful to park staff". That catchall needs to be clarified ahead of time.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:50 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
twogypsies - Talking to the management at a park you really like is a great idea. But what happens when you want to go somewhere new?
I guess we tended not to choose a park rather than a particular area. Even if the park is A-1, it had to be in a scenic area for us - one that we'd like to explore in more depth. We seemed to luck out on getting in good parks and good areas.

We just never had a problem with our 'duties'. Nothing was sprung upon us as a surprise. We knew what we were getting into. In addition, many times we'd just ask to do more than what our schedule was. If we saw something that needed attention or if we had free time, we willingly did it if we were scheduled to work those hours anyway. During scheduled hours we had to be available so we'd rather keep busy than sitting doing nothing.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
I haven't used it but several people I have conversed with swear by work camper news at workcamper. Com as a great resource. If we decided to workcamp in the future we would try them for listings and info.

BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote