Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #43
I worked my way through college as a janitor, Bachelor and Master degrees and have no problem doing it. A lot of people are real slobs and related to the Poo Flinging Monkeys and can trash a bathroom. The trick is to just ignore it and clean it up as good as new. Showers can be the worst.

If is part of the job then just do it and smile knowing that "your" bathrooms are the cleanest in the area and will attract the customers back to the campground that provides you with the opportunity to workcamp there again next season.

Both of us retired Spring 2016 & loving it
2011 DRV MS 36RSSB3 w/vanity slide
2015 GMC CC DRW 3500 Duramax
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 09:06 PM   #44
Winnebago Owners Club
Talking A Hosting Update

I am about six weeks into my ten week hosting commitment, and since I started this thread, I thought I would give an update on my first hosting experience.

Originally the thread was about hosts cleaning bathrooms, but the thread seemed to go a bit further than that and I want to continue this direction.

After six weeks I find that a funny thing has happened to me - I have started to take ownership in the park. I find myself caring about every part of it. It's a small park with a day area, a boat ramp with some picnic tables, and the campground which has only 25 sites.

The essentials of the job include checking in campers and collecting fees (we have no gatehouse or gate), selling firewood, making sure the rules are obeyed, tidying up the vacated sites, and making sure there is toilet paper in the stalls. There can be times that it is difficult to put in the required time, so I started adding some tasks on my own.

Knowing that we have a short-handed maintenance staff, I started checking the boat ramp and day areas for t-paper and trash. I also check all the picnic sites and barbecue pits for trash. This saves the maintenance staff about an hour or two a day and is no imposition on me. When possible I help the naturalist set up for the Friday or Saturday night presentation, and I try to remind the campers about the presentation to build the attendance.

But I think more than any one thing in particular, what I find most interesting is my mindset. This has become "my" park. I want everything about it to be a positive experience for the campers. I want them to drive out of here with the idea that they will definitely return.

I find this very interesting. I had never been to this park before - it was just a convenient place to stay near my daughter's home. And hosting was a way we could stay for more than two weeks and also have a full hookup. I was prepared to do my job as well as I could, but I certainly did not anticipate this shift in my perspective.

Bathrooms are still not on my list. But they just might be in the future. Who knows?

Don Simmons
2006 Winnebago Voyage 33V Pushed by a 2014 Chevrolet Captiva
Visit us at Travels With Linda
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:27 PM   #45
You've passed the test and have become a #1 camp host... congratulations!!! Sounds like it was a positive experience for you.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:06 AM   #46
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
As the night manager (camp host) at a RV Golf resort, I often ask guests "How do you like MY park? Guests seem to like the idea that they are talking to the owner. I usually correct the mistaken impression....but I understand about "Taking ownership and caring about the guests experience. Customer satisfaction assures me my $1500 a month space and two free rounds of golf every day. No I don't golf every day but I don't clean restrooms either...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:50 PM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
To who?
If you don't like doing what you are expected to do as a volunteer don't volunteer.
maybe to the guy that doesn't look down on those that clean bathrooms
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:07 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
AggieDad, I love folks with your attitude! When one takes ownership, it shows in everything they do. I'm sure you were very successful in your previous career and life in general with this attitude. It is hard these days to find employees with that kind of outlook on things let alone volunteers! I know the feeling, its very satisfying. Keep up the good work but most of all ENJOY!
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:44 AM   #49
AngieDad wins.... Great attitude, and obviously enjoying what your doing. Thats whats important.

Dillon_fwa is offline   Reply With Quote