Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #1

Do you clean your slide toppers before a trip?

Almost every time while we are staying somewhere with our slides out some stuff will get on the slide toppers, most commonly water (either from rain or from the AC runoff), but also leaves and other tree debris. When it's time to go and we pull the slides in the accumulated stuff will slowly fall out as the slide toppers roll back in.

Today we realized that our toppers were full of snow/water and it was going to be a problem when leaving tomorrow if it all froze, so I got up there and swept the stuff out as good I could. (In the attached picture see one awning mostly done and one still to be done).

What do you guys do with your toppers? Clean them every time you leave a place? Let it all fall out and hope for the best? or something else?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideToppersSnow.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	185314  
vmallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2017, 10:40 PM   #2

I know if you lower the nose jacks of the motorhome the water will drain off but I still climb up and sweep the topers and awning off. Of course when its not raining, when it is I skip the climb.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:35 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner

I am open to any suggestion that keeps me off a snow covered roof!

Hope the second awning went OK.

My OEM slide awnings would pool water so I made support frames to go under them. My second set are much tighter and do not pool.
Generally plan ahead to avoid situation.
Tilt MH to run off front to back.
Have towels handy inside for any moisture still on the slide.

Stay safe.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:52 AM   #4

If it has been raining in the few days before departure, or if we were parked underneath a tree that had been dropping leaves or branches, then yes. It only takes a minute and allows me to do a roof check as well.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:00 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I make a habit of cleaning the slide topper every time before we leave a CG. There will be dust if nothing else. I also clean the top of the slide with a mop. Takes just a few minutes.

If I cannot climb on top of the rig to clean the slide topper, I then use my ladder and a sponge mop to do the topper. I use that sponge mop quite a bit. It cleans the underside of the awning, the awning itself either from the roof or from a ladder or ground.

They are cheap at the Dollar Store.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:32 AM   #6

I would think that walking on a roof, when the temperature is extremely low, might be harmful. I clean from a collapsible step ladder using a long handled tool. A leaf blower can also be used and might remove snow that hasn't frozen to the roof.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:37 AM   #7

I had that problem on a TT years ago. Someone suggested that I get a cheap inflatable beach ball and push it under the slide topper to make a peak in the middle. That actually worked very well in heavy rain. Never had to deal with snow.

Sudsy
Old 12-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #8

I use an ADCO type cover on our motorhome. When I pull the cover off the motorhome looks just like it did when I put the cover on.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I use an ADCO type cover on our motorhome. When I pull the cover off the motorhome looks just like it did when I put the cover on.
And this has what to do with "Slide Toppers". Different thing.

Sudsy
Old 12-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
And this has what to do with "Slide Toppers". Different thing.

Sudsy
Because the cover keeps the slide toppers clean.

I figured most folks would understand that since the cover keeps the slide topper clean there is no need to sweep them or otherwise clean them off. I didn't realize some would need it explained to them.

If I'm camped when the snow comes I don't put the slides out.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:00 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Because the cover keeps the slide toppers clean.

I figured most folks would understand that since the cover keeps the slide topper clean there is no need to sweep them or otherwise clean them off. I didn't realize some would need it explained to them.

If I'm camped when the snow comes I don't put the slides out.
So what you are saying is when your slides are out and camping .......you put your ADCO cover on your Coach?

I clean mine before bring slide in.....keep it clean. It is 18 yrs. old this year and still looks new......
Old 12-10-2017, 12:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
So what you are saying is when your slides are out and camping .......you put your ADCO cover on your Coach?

I clean mine before bring slide in.....keep it clean. It is 18 yrs. old this year and still looks new......
Maybe what I'm saying is I misunderstood the OPs question. I thought he was talking about long term storage. But I still don't understand the snide responses but hey, whatever floats your boat.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Maybe what I'm saying is I misunderstood the OPs question. I thought he was talking about long term storage. But I still don't understand the snide responses but hey, whatever floats your boat.
Quoted from your post: "I didn't realize some would need it explained to them."
Some need things explained to them......I am one of those
Old 12-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #14

I think you can adjust the tension of your slide toppers that way it won't collect specially water. If you really need to close your slide during rain use a cordless leaf blower to blow water and leaves while it's closing. No need to go to the roof. You can also use sponge mop with extension while you're closing the slide. Just close it little by little and use the mop either with awning cleaner applied to the mop or use the mop just to dry the awning.
muscob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide