Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Obviously, a hard cover is best (carport or garage) but for us, the RV is not stored at home and covered storage is VERY EXPENSIVE.
So, we use a cover...we're on cover #3.

Here's our experience:

Name:   attachment-6.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  21.6 KB

See: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post1681530
And
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/i-lo...ml#post1309930

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
In Utah, we'll have snow on the ground by Christmas, possibly Thanksgiving, sometimes Halloween. Once you get snow on the RV cover, the RV is out of service till the snow melts at Easter or with Global Warming -- I mean Climate Change -- Memorial Day. Weather in Utah is proof that God has a sense of humor.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #31

covered is better
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:39 PM   #32

Do I need to cover it?
🤪🤪🤪
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B0D1BC29-EF49-43B2-A992-DB6741B19899.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	226639  
speeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:41 PM   #33

Sorry, dont know how to fix it
speeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #34

Do not cover ours. Use it as winter home in FL and then other times through the year.

I would use a building for it but can not find one to rent local and can not afford to buy land and put up a building either. I would guess type of roof matters also. (rubber of fiberglass) Our storage is about a mile from the house and I do drive it monthly if we have not used it in a month.

Not sure what I will do if we are to get a big snow before or at Christmas. Might have to go part way south and drive back in toad for Christmas...

Tom
Old 11-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
We cover ours, we lived in western PA in the mountains. High winds, snow and ice are the norm. We also cover the car that won't fit in the garage, the sun is intense here as well, and it does damage.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:43 PM   #36

To cover or not to cover..... That is the question........ We have a 30' class A and it is 12' tall. Living in AZ, one would think a cover is a must.... It kinda is.... But here is what I found while living there and trying to keep a 65 lb. cover on a MH. First and foremost, the cover is nice to keep dirt and bird crap off the roof. However when the outside temps range in the triple digit, the inside temps (not inside the MH but under the cover) range 20 to 50 degrees hotter. What this was doing was making almost every plastic part brittle and some had to be replaced (MH is a 2017). On top of it kinda ruining the plastic stuff, if it got windy, even like 10 MPH, the friggen cover would shift and start to show part of the sides and tire. As mentioned the cover was heavy (well for me anyway) so trying to get it on and off was not a one man project. And if your RV is like most storage places, the ground is not grass or paved, which means while one try's to get it up on the MH it will get dirt and such on the cover. Fast forward and we now live in Washington state. I asked a couple of RV repair places about covers. Most don't worry much about it as the sun doesn't really damage anything but the rain can and unless you have a water proof cover (NOT water resident) you will have nothing but a cover that now weights 3 times as much as a dry one.... So I am still on the fence about covers. My wife can't help me get it on so I'm left to find someone to help (and that is no easy task).... So you see my point.....
Old 11-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
About heat...this is the #1 reason we use a cover. Unlike what is reported above, the cover provides shade to the harsh SoCal sun. Just like wearing flowing garb in the desert, the RV under a cover will typically be 15-20 degrees cooler than without the cover.
Obviously avoid a dark colored cover.

About flapping in a wind...all tie downs must be used if the RV will be in a windy area. It is much like a big sail. Tie it down at the skirt or expect it to flap...flapping chaffs the paint - not good.

About a wet cover...modern covers should NOT absorb water. But, these water shedding materials will allow droplets and any pooled water to sit on the surface until the cover is shifted. If you cannot wait for the surface water to dry, use a soft wish broom to sweep away any water.

About removal/install...I do it myself on our 37' long, over 13' tall RV. Yes, it is about 50lb, so you just gotta be smart about it. After initial install, the cover will always go on the same way, so I remove it this way:
*Unzip the corners and pull the side, front and back walls up on to the roof...
*Roll the sides toward the centerline of the RV...
*Fold the roll from front to back in easy to handle length rolls (about 4')...
*Loop a piece of light rope around the rolled/folded cover and lower to a clean bit of ground or on to the top or your car (that you have parked next to the RV).
To install, reverse these steps.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #38

I stash my TT in my pole barn and I still cover it after the normal season. Might be a little overkill, but covering a RV/TT when stored inside or outside will really benefit the longevity of the unit. Covers are very reasonable in price.
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #39

Always covered

We are original owners of a 2006 Class A 31' Itasca Sunrise. We live in Southern California were sun is an RV's worst enemy. We have always covered our rig. I can't speak highly enough about the cover we have been using. The company is Calmark https://www.calmarkcovers.com/. Their covers are manufactured in the USA. The Calmark covers are custom made. They use Sunbrella material, which has held up beyond expectations. Our first cover lasted 8 years, which is 2 to 3 times longer than other covers I have seen on rigs in the neighborhood. I believe it's a "you get what you pay for" situation. They are more expensive, but well worth the extra cost, for a longer lasting, better fit cover.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #40

Yes. 31 foot Class A. ADCO cover has lasted 4 years so far.
ThorAce2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #41

Don't do it anymore!

Years ago, when I lived in Portland, OR I covered my Beaver Patriot with a cover that I bought at Camping World. Yes, it lasted about 3 years, was a bitch to put on and take off, and all of the neighborhood cats thought that it was a great scratching post! Now I'm in Tucson and we use the rig we now have, 12 months of the year so I'm not dealing with covers anymore. Just moth balls under the hood to keep the pack rats out of the engine compartment!
Old 11-25-2018, 03:10 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you cover your motor home

Here in central New York where we get around 200” of snow we cover to keep the snow and ice off the rubber roof. I called a inside storage place and they want 16.00 a foot so our 38’ class A would be over 600.00 a winter I got a new cover on eBay for 290.00 free shipping
grrr16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, motorhome