Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #1

Do you cover your RV while not in use?

I live in South Florida and we get a lot of hot weather, a lot of humidity. The campers we see around town are left in the driveway uncovered. We would like to cover ours so it will last longer. We're just unsure what would be the best. Getting a carport or an actually cover? What would you suggest? Cover is around $400-600 and the carport I found is about $2500. Thanks
Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2018, 06:22 PM   #2

We don't cover ours as I think it may cause more problems than it is worth. If I could build a carport for $2500 I would take that option. Carport would be easy to pull in/out of, and not having to go up on the roof each time to put the cover on or take it off. I've been told that between taking it on/off and the wind, covers can actually scratch your paint. Also the covers tend to tear over time. I have talked to a lot of people who bought one and only used it a few times as it was a pain to put on/take off.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I cover mine with my rv garage's roof. Works great!
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you have the option for a carport, I would opt for that. Covering the rig with a tarp/plastic can get old really quick. Plus unless secured perfectly they can also cause rubbing on the exterior. They don't last long and are usually a two man job.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
If I could have a carport in my driveway I would take that option.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #6

I’m a Yankee who moved to Georgia 10 years ago. I was shocked at what the sun did to our 5th wheel in a couple of years. We tried the cover route but that didn’t work. When we got our motorhome we went for covered storage and we are happy with that. It keeps the interior temperature down when not being used. We leave the vents open so air can circulate. As for the cost we feel it is preserving the value of our motorhome by keeping it looking good. The sun also takes a toll on the roof.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pick the car port...but we cover the RV (when it will sit over a month or more).

Covered storage options in these parts are too rich for us and there's no room for parking an RV that's almost 40' at our studs and stucco.

See HERE

SoCal sun damage is the big problem. The cover prevents that and decreases the RV's interior temperature by a large margin.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:40 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Few points to keep in mind with covers
1) the wind causes them to move around and scratch paint
2) pad sharp corners so you don't tear the cover
3) any grit, road dust, dust etc... on the RV or the inside of the cover becomes sandpaper
4) makes sure the vents on the outside of the RV for the furnace, refer, water heater are cool or they will melt the cover.
5) be careful on the roof when putting on and taking off, don't fall off, don't damage the roof.
6) when its off its big and heavy, most come with a storage bag, put it away only after your are positive its dry,
7) putting it in the bag is like trying to put a size 11 foot in a size 10 shoe, fold tight from the start
8) I always struggled with keeping the inside clean while dragging it on and off and hanging it up to dry.

I used a cover until we added the new garage on to the house. Never again if I can help it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:12 PM   #9

carport over cover for sure

we don't cover ours. So far so good!
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A quick fact check...
1) Only the cheapest vinyl covers scratch paint...Modern RV covers are a soft poly. And, properly installed and fitted, there should be very little movement.
2) Yep...cover instructions agree
3) Only cover a clean RV. Once installed on a clean RV, dirt should not move up into the properly installed cover ('cuz it is bound under the body). And the inside of the cover stays clean too.
4) Yep. See #2
5) Yep, same for cleaning the roof and checking caulk and seals twice a year - at least.
6) Yep, but quality covers are not as heavy as canvas or vinyl. We use a line to lift it.
7) Yep. The bag is just silly. We fold the cover like a big burrito and so it installs quick and easy next time.
8) Don't remove the cover when wet. Modern poly covers dry withing a few hours. If you must remove it wet, reinstall within a few days to allow it to dry on the RV. Hanging it up might be fine if you have a storage barn but otherwise it will get dirty, stretch and possibly damaged...and if you have a barn, just put the RV in it

Covered storage is obviously best. But not everyone can use covered storage. If that is the case, a cover is much better than exposed storage.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-13-2018, 11:29 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can tell you never put a cover on an RV. I have. Three times.

First time my wife, daughter and I put it on.
Second time my wife and I put it on.
Third and last time nobody but me showed up, the rest of them disappeared pronto.

I don't recommend covers.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:14 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I can tell you never put a cover on an RV.

I don't recommend covers.
Please..to whom is this addressed?

I install the cover - by much self. Did ya' see my photos?

There is no good reason to have more than one person on the RV's roof
We are on our third cover, because the mid grade covers* last about 3 years in the SoCal sun. It's better the cover take the abuse over the RV.

When removing, the cover can be folded in a manner that allows very easy install next time. Easiest way to described that is a fold like a burrito.

*Premium covers are made of material like "Sunbrella." They last longer, but are 5 times the cost and weigh much more too. And high weight is not good.

What we don't understand is why folks let their beautiful RV's waste away under the brutal impact of Mother Nature(?)
The order of preference is obvious...but it is the inverse of cost:
1. Barn/Shed
2. Carport/open side storage
3. RV Cover
4. Parked in the open**
**Becomes very expensive from deterioration of paint, seals, and soft parts on the RV.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-14-2018, 12:54 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I was able to put the cover on by myself until the garage was built. Taking it off was just a bit more difficult, primarily because I wanted to keep it off the ground to keep it clean. Certainly easier with a full size helper.

I kept the box it shipped in and stored it there. I would put it away so the end sticking out of the box was the front end. I pulled that end up over the rear with the ladder. with it stretched the length of the roof I would unfolded it left and right from the front to the rear (kind of like mopping yourself out of a room) and down over the sides, down the ladder, pull it down and tie it off.

It was easier if the zipper on the side was unzipped.

Reverse the process taking it off except work back to front.

Reading that sure makes me happy I had the garage built.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:03 AM   #14

I realize that a person might not have the option of installing a garage/carport. A removable cover may work best for them. But if you have a choice, a structure of some sort is the only way to go. There are just too many downsides to using a cover.

Tags
cover