Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2018, 06:50 PM   #141

The problem I find with the rear ladder is the vertical climb, so I use the Little Giant that I store in rear pass through bay. When extended I lean it to the rear ladder if I need to access the roof. I secure it at the top with bungy cords for extra safety.

My knees are shot, so I avoid going on the roof, but in an emergency it makes the climb easier. The little Giant also works around the coach for cleaning and waxing.

I've also read that if the ladder is not included it is a indication that you should not walk the roof...….

Bob H

2011 Newmar Bay Star 2901 towing 2016 Nissan Versa on Acme dolly
photobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #142

roof ladder

I use my rear ladder often to wax fiberglass roof, clean roof, unfortunately remove antennae when trees reach out an grab them!
Retired FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:13 PM   #143

Ladder

I use my ladder all the time, cleaning, installing accessories. I agree it is a liability issue if they are not attached properly. Plus they save a couple bucks.
SnKPerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:15 PM   #144

Angry

For those who can't or shouldn't climb, if you know someone who has a bucket lift, beg, borrow, or rent it for maintenance. Your life could be in the balance without it. If you maintain your coach twice a year, $50.00 at a time isn't going to kill you financially. If you need to go on your roof while away from home, seek a Rent-a-Center. It's worth it.
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:28 PM   #145

I use the OEM ladder regularly for maintenance and numerous times on every trip to check that all fixtures on the roof are in good condition, antennas are intact, wiring boots are still sealed and to clean off leaves and debris before bringing the slides in.

Most RV's are not designed to have a ladder leaned up against the roofs edge so you will be damaging a slide cover, awning or roof edge to some degree every time you lean a portable ladder set high enough to be able to safely access the rooftop unless you rig that ladder with sidewall standoffs. The awning rails on most are too low to protect the roof edge when leaning a portable ladder at the correct safe angle so it won't tip back at you. Rigging and un-rigging a portable ladder with standoffs is a pain especially when you want to get up there quickly for example to see if a low tree branch that swept your roof did any damage before continuing any further or secure a cover, etc that came loose while driving.

If you will never be doing your own maintenance and are incapable of climbing a ladder even in an emergency then it could be a considered moot point however to the rest of us its an indispensable must have especially in events where time is of the essence.

I also use my built in ladder to hang my Genturie off the side of it and to set up an expandable clothes dryer.

I am a 6 foot tall 250 lb Gorilla and the OEM ladder on my 2001 Winnebago Adventurer has been trouble free even after 17+ years on the coach.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #146

I thought it was important to have a ladder just in case and for routine maintenance. Cost was $300.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #147

Vintage RV Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You know it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
I use the OEM ladder regularly for maintenance and numerous times on every trip to check that all fixtures on the roof are in good condition, antennas are intact, wiring boots are still sealed and to clean off leaves and debris before bringing the slides in.

Most RV's are not designed to have a ladder leaned up against the roofs edge so you will be damaging a slide cover, awning or roof edge to some degree every time you lean a portable ladder set high enough to be able to safely access the rooftop unless you rig that ladder with sidewall standoffs. The awning rails on most are too low to protect the roof edge when leaning a portable ladder at the correct safe angle so it won't tip back at you. Rigging and un-rigging a portable ladder with standoffs is a pain especially when you want to get up there quickly for example to see if a low tree branch that swept your roof did any damage before continuing any further or secure a cover, etc that came loose while driving.

If you will never be doing your own maintenance and are incapable of climbing a ladder even in an emergency then it could be a considered moot point however to the rest of us its an indispensable must have especially in events where time is of the essence.

I also use my built in ladder to hang my Genturie off the side of it and to set up an expandable clothes dryer.

I am a 6 foot tall 250 lb Gorilla and the OEM ladder on my 2001 Winnebago Adventurer has been trouble free even after 17+ years on the coach.
Well said sir...and agreed.
MrT1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:52 PM   #148

Was up it today.
Photo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:59 PM   #149

Newmar Owners Club
Ladder attached to Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktraveler View Post
I was at a dealership the other day and noticed that a lot of new motorhomes didn't have a ladder attached to the back side. When I asked about it, the dealer told me that a lot of manufacturers are no longer including ladders on their new models due to liability concerns.They're worried about people using the ladders to get on the roof and then falling off. I don't know if that is true, but I do see more and more RVs without attached ladders for whatever reason.

My point is this: even though most RV ladders are barely functional (on my last RV I needed a ladder to access the attached ladder), I still think they are an essential piece of equipment. You have to have some way to get on the roof of your coach. Or am I wrong? So I'll ask. Do you ever use the ladder that came with your RV to get on the roof of your coach?
I make use of my ladder quite a bit, at least 4 or more times per season.
gwg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:10 PM   #150

SADDLESORE......Your coach looks GREAT without the ladder. Hard to believe it made that much difference. Much cleaner! GOOD JOB!!!!!!! MOMCAT
momcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:56 PM   #151

A rear ladder is really needed to provide access to the roof for inspection of vent covers or skylight covers in addition to washing the roof, but I can also understand the liability issue. In saying all of that the first thing that pops to mind is the damage an extension ladder can cause to the edge of the roof if not protected along with what is going to stop you from falling off once you climb the extension ladder. To me it sounds like not installing a ladder saves the builder a few bucks. I have been on my roof of my Class A a number of times checking things along with trimming a few low hanging branches and I don't have a place to carry an extension ladder !!! Most trailers or motorhomes that don't have a ladder is due to the fact that the roof isn't designed to be walked on.
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktraveler View Post
I was at a dealership the other day and noticed that a lot of new motorhomes didn't have a ladder attached to the back side. When I asked about it, the dealer told me that a lot of manufacturers are no longer including ladders on their new models due to liability concerns.They're worried about people using the ladders to get on the roof and then falling off. I don't know if that is true, but I do see more and more RVs without attached ladders for whatever reason.

My point is this: even though most RV ladders are barely functional (on my last RV I needed a ladder to access the attached ladder), I still think they are an essential piece of equipment. You have to have some way to get on the roof of your coach. Or am I wrong? So I'll ask. Do you ever use the ladder that came with your RV to get on the roof of your coach?
Yes my husband climbs up our ladder to get sticks off the roof and he weighs over 250#.
PattyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:59 PM   #153

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had our coach repainted and left the ladder off. It looks much better and is much safer to climb a telescoping ladder. I have pads that protect the finish, but usually lean it against the slide cover, with it retracted of course.
Dave
Old 12-27-2018, 09:02 PM   #154

Thor Owners Club
Took the OEM rear ladder off because it was getting a little loose. I also put some $$ into solar panels on the roof for when it's stored....no ac available and I didn't want anyone borrowing them while away. Found a 12' telescopic on Amazon that was cheap, strong, light and easy to store. I'm on the roof to check things pretty often, so put a couple of those big washing mitts on the top rung and can use it anywhere around the coach. Far better than the OEM rear ladder. I'll be getting rid of the 'evidence' mounting holes when I get the coach repainted or wrapped next summer.
garyschuetz is offline   Reply With Quote