Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #155

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I use the attached ladder quite often. The ladder is bent from being backed into something by previous owner. While having work done on the RV the ladder was run into something by the Dealerships employees, they refused to fix it because of prior damage.
Hangfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2018, 09:23 PM   #156

Freightliner Owners Club
Every year at least twice a year to check calling, debris removal, etc. and check / clean off toppers. I also strip and seal the fiberglass roof annually.
Sweengolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:27 PM   #157

Don't have one. Never felt safe on one. Use Gorilla knock off of Little Giant which fits in storage bay
Old 12-27-2018, 09:48 PM   #158

When we bought our 2017 I noticed no ladder on the models with rear slides, but otherwise it looked like most all models had them. First thing I did after purchase was tighten all the screws, since it really needed it. Use it all the time to keep debris from getting in the slide after parking under trees. Also a must when installing cover and cleaning the roof, but would purchase telescoping ladder if I didn't have one.
justjohn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #159

Only to get on the roof.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:59 PM   #160

Alpine Owners Club
Do you ever use your rear ladder?

Our Alpine doesn't have a ladder, most Alpines have no ladders. I truly dislike the looks of a ladder. Just something to get in the way when I wash and wax the coach.

I carry one to get on the roof. When we buy a newer coach I'll remove the ladder if it has one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0158.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	230273
Old 12-27-2018, 10:15 PM   #161

I use my ladder all the time for maintenance and repairs. Wouldn't buy a motorhome without it. If you think you don't need a ladder, What would you do in these situations: Remove snow from roof when it exceeds the 1 foot limit; Replace vent cover when destroyed by something in a bad rain storm in Yellowstone NP. Can't be done if you are in middle of nowhere and don't have a ladder.
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:17 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
Our Alpine doesn't have a ladder. I truly dislike the looks of a ladder. Just something to get in the way when I wash and wax the coach.

I carry one to get on the roof. When we buy a newer coach I'll remove the ladder if it has one.
How do you keep your non-integrated ladder from marring your finish?

P.S. the back of your coach looks like it’s missing something. Can’t put my finger on it...
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:50 PM   #163

Alpine Owners Club
I put rubber feet on the ladder and it rests on the drip rail. 15 years and no scratches from the ladder. Been up a friends ladder on his Foretravel and that was an uncomfortable feeling. Even though it is a very well made coach.
I know it looks great missing something huh! I tell my grandsons they can't put a finger on the paint either....teach them young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBurt View Post
How do you keep your non-integrated ladder from marring your finish?

P.S. the back of your coach looks like it’s missing something. Can’t put my finger on it...
Old 12-28-2018, 03:27 AM   #164

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
If I were looking to buy a different coach.... no ladder, no sale. Essential piece of equipment for roof maintenance and to remove debris before closing slides.
I'd say "useful piece of equipment", not "essential". There are many of us who have reached the age where our knees will no longer take us up that ladder. But we still enjoy traveling in the motorhome. Whenever something on my roof needs attention, I just ask an RV Tech to go up there and address it.

As for a telescoping ladder, I never trusted those even when I had young knees. I've always had a vision in my head of one of those things collapsing with me on it.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:32 AM   #165

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
janjimg

just starting out and not an owner yet. this has opened my eyes for different things to look at , especially checking for debris before retracting slideouts.
Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:16 AM   #166

I have heard several reasons why but the what I believe to be the real truth (heard it from a RV Professor) is if they don't come with one it's because the roof isn't designed to carry our weight, that in my opinion is a lack of structure quality. Being a Mobile RV Tech the ones without the ladders you have to be very careful on the roofs as there is a lot of flexing and a very uncomfortable feeling as your moving about the roof. There are the exceptions like the way the rear cap is molded where it isn't feasible to mount a ladder.
Parish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:53 AM   #167

RE: Ladder

I have a rubberized roof. I use my ladder to clean and treat my roof. I also use it for maintenance of other items on the roof.
edegenhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:22 AM   #168

Winnebago Owners Club
I use our ladder quite a bit, mostly for cleaning and washing the roof. I have also used it for installing antennas and for re-caulking all of the devices mounted to the roof. When we go on a trip, I use it to crawl up on the roof when we get home to ensure that no rips or tears occurred while we were gone. Also, to clean all of the Slide Toppers. To me, it's an integral part of my motorhome. I don't know how I would get along without it.
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote