Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
Our Alpine doesn't have a ladder, most Alpines have no ladders. I truly dislike the looks of a ladder. Just something to get in the way when I wash and wax the coach.

I carry one to get on the roof. When we buy a newer coach I'll remove the ladder if it has one.

Attachment 230273
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBurt View Post
How do you keep your non-integrated ladder from marring your finish?

P.S. the back of your coach looks like it’s missing something. Can’t put my finger on it...
A SPARE TIRE Carrier! Oh . . . wait . . . that's another thread . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #184

Winnebago Owners Club
Can't find my bumpers either! Any mishap will be causing many thousands to replace/repair fiberglass end caps. Next thing you know, the motor will be optional - oh yes - it already is - they call it a 5'er.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey Joe View Post
How was full timing. Are you back in a steady home. If you do not mind your age when you started full timing and age of stopping. Thank you. Jj
Started at 52; ended at 68. Yes, a tiny home in an area without snow. Awesome experiences and lifestyle.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:59 PM   #186

Tiffin Owners Club
Got a rear ladder; use it all the time to get on top. Washing, sweeping, inspecting, whatever. Figure it's there for a reason. I'm approx 170lbs and try not to bounce.
I also have a 7ft folder for the windshield cleaning.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:48 PM   #187

Talking

You might want to consider that they are no longer put on there because the roof construction is not as sturdy as in the past and they don't want to encourage walking around up there.
Zoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #188

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo2 View Post
You might want to consider that they are no longer put on there because the roof construction is not as sturdy as in the past and they don't want to encourage walking around up there.
Use our ladder regularly. Ours is fastened to pressure treated 2 by 6s attached to metal frame in back of fiberglass. Had ladder repaied once due to denting it. Shop used steal rods welded inside original tubes to reinforce it and changed all hardwear to SS.[emoji1]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:32 PM   #189

Really, the coach MFG can’t insure the coach won’t fall apart when using the ladder? Not sure I want to buy that coach. The Phaeton or the Integra units aren’t inexpensive units, but those who don’t have a ladder, Not everyone has storage bays that you can almost drive a small car through to carry an extra ladder.
Wdennis999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:59 PM   #190

Our older Holiday Rambler has a nice ladder and for us its definitely not an option. I dont like going up there to inspect, clean, caulk, etc but thats part of the whole deal. Newer units develop leaks too and a whole lot of damage can occur fast so roof maintenance is a top priority. Wouldn't consider any unit without one.
Harris
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:27 AM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktraveler View Post
I was at a dealership the other day and noticed that a lot of new motorhomes didn't have a ladder attached to the back side. When I asked about it, the dealer told me that a lot of manufacturers are no longer including ladders on their new models due to liability concerns.They're worried about people using the ladders to get on the roof and then falling off. I don't know if that is true, but I do see more and more RVs without attached ladders for whatever reason.

My point is this: even though most RV ladders are barely functional (on my last RV I needed a ladder to access the attached ladder), I still think they are an essential piece of equipment. You have to have some way to get on the roof of your coach. Or am I wrong? So I'll ask. Do you ever use the ladder that came with your RV to get on the roof of your coach?

Both my husband and I use it often. And I am the youngster at 74.
soberskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:57 AM   #192

Attached ladder

Not only do they save money not putting a ladder on the RV but it makes it hard for the customer to inspect the roof when buying a new Rv.
vonallenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:35 AM   #193

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdennis999 View Post
Really, the coach MFG can’t insure the coach won’t fall apart when using the ladder? Not sure I want to buy that coach. The Phaeton or the Integra units aren’t inexpensive units, but those who don’t have a ladder, Not everyone has storage bays that you can almost drive a small car through to carry an extra ladder.

Use this method for a 7ft folding ladder. That’s a plastic fence corner post zip tied to the rails.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3635.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	230378
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:13 AM   #194

I have only witnessed one guy falling while on a ladder and it was a step type that sunk in soft gravel while he was near the top. Climbing an unsecured ladder is dangerous. To be safe the ladder should actually extend 2 feet above the coach roof allowing you to step over and out on the roof. The anti ladder folks are without any true logic, just their own interesting opinion. By the lack of support for no ladder we should all encourage the manufacturers to keep on installing them for safety and service needs.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:43 AM   #195

Ladder Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
Use this method for a 7ft folding ladder. That’s a plastic fence corner post zip tied to the rails.
Attachment 230378

I love your idea for storing the ladder. Keeps it up out of the way and it is also easy to slide it out when you need it.

Bill
BillW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:49 AM   #196

Collapsible Ladder

I have a ladder on my coach but some day I might get one without. Reading through this thread I notice that a lot of people say they get on the roof with a collapsible ladder.

What kind of ladder do you carry that is long enough to get up on the roof? How do you store that ladder when you are traveling?

I think it might be important to be able to get on the roof when you are traveling...just in case something needs attention up there. So built-in ladder or portable, seems important to have one or the other.

Bill
BillW1 is offline   Reply With Quote