Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #43

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our fifth sits in driveway about 1 foot from house roof.

I get the ladder out of the bay, climb on the house roof, then on the trailer.

Much safer for me this way. Not straight up and down. I like the idea of a drop down ladder attached to the rig kinda like a fire escape in a tall building. Now someone has to design and build it, then make it affordable to the rv industry.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Used it all the time on our previous coach. Really wanted one on our new MH but it wasn't an option. We now have and Xtend & Climb instead. It works but way more trouble.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:29 PM   #45

Of course either me or the Rv repair place crunched my ladder. I 'd just like to remove it, but don't know how to cover the attachment holes?
Any ideas?
Old 12-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
If I were looking to buy a different coach.... no ladder, no sale. Essential piece of equipment for roof maintenance and to remove debris before closing slides.
+1. If we're parked under trees while camping I always go up before we pull in slides to check for branches, pine cones, etc. on the slide toppers or the roof. Also to sweep /clean the solar panels occasionally. Wish the built in one were more sturdy but it saves the storage space that I'd need to carry a telescoping ladder.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:19 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Foretravel & Newel do as well.. My issue was the ladder & step assembly joints internally rusting/corroding... then falling apart while I was using..
The older I get... the less I bounce...
Tiffin ladders and attach hardware appear to be hard aluminum with stainless screws and bolts. I did have a stripped out mount hole in one end of one step, but it seemed to be caused by a manufacturing error. Extruded off center. I got a new step from Tiffin reclamation section for free. Haven't seen any sign of rusting or corrosion.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:07 PM   #48
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There's a reason a lot of newer DP's don't have a ladder. Both Newmar and Tiffin are using the side facades to hide all the stuff on the roof. If you were to add a ladder and make it safe, it would have to hook over the rear façade/spoiler. That would put the ladder about 15' in the air, making for issues with clearance. I bought a telescoping ladder to carry in the coach and a one piece straight 16' fiberglass ladder for home. The fiberglass ladder is much easier to climb at an angle than a standard straight up and down RV ladder.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #49

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Haven't seen any sign of rusting or corrosion.
The rust/corrosion I found was internal on the mount bracket(s) to the rails.(Not bracket to fiberglass)

totally hidden until they fail (separate).
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:14 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Use mine all the time to check on seals, clean the sky light, vents and solor panels. I also scrub the roof when I wash the coach. It's convenient. When parked under trees I go up and sweep the leaves or pine needles off the slide toppers before I pull in the slides.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:48 AM   #51

I find a meed to be on the roof probably about 4 times per year. If I have a project up there such as painting a cover, resealing, topper attention, cleaning, refer fans and other things, I might get up there several times per project. My rear attatched ladder is not easy or safe but I use it.

I recently built a 5 foot scaffold out of 2x4s and plywood to reseal my slide roofs and some other maintenance. I had to put a 6 ft ladder on the scaffold to get on the roof which worked very well and safely. The scaffold is for a permenant location. I left that scaffold when I changed locations and never to return.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181023_104430_Film2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	229756  
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:59 AM   #52

Do you ever use your rear ladder?

I use it a minimum of twice a year to inspect the roof and in reality more often than that. Really handy when I was replacing vents fans and covers. It is awkward being vertical, however because it wraps over the roof it’s much easier for me to get on the roof than an extension ladder would be. I have trouble with the transition from roof to ladder with a regular ladder. Maybe I should fashion something similar I could attach to my extension ladder! [emoji16]

And yes, I am concerned about the screws holding the ladder mounts to the coach. My manufacturer wasn’t smart enough to use stainless steel. The good news for me is that I’m small and weigh less than 150lbs.

On mine, I can see they’re screwed into a wood support that was bonded into the fiberglass cap.
MSGDLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:19 AM   #53

Use ours all the time.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:51 AM   #54

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use mine all the time for all the reasons stated and on occasion i put my tailgater up there to get a clear view of the sats.

One trip last year my cylinder that holds the entry door open came loose from the door. it was awkward fixing up high and thought another ladder on board would be nice. I looked at the telescoping ladders but with the few reviews of pinched/broken fingers and the rare collapse i was hesitant. Probably the telescoping ladders costing hundreds would be better built but there are prices & quality up and down.

I went with a 7' double sided folding step ladder. This ladder folded fits into a vinyl fence post i put in my rear thru basement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3150.png
Views:	73
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	229763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3149.png
Views:	71
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	229764  

Name:	IMG_3242.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	229765  
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:09 AM   #55

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
If I were looking to buy a different coach.... no ladder, no sale. Essential piece of equipment for roof maintenance and to remove debris before closing slides.
I agree with MO Fred 100%.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:20 AM   #56
IC2

At home, I will use a common home owner's aluminum ladder (16'). Traveling, I - gulp - climb the rickety POJ that Keystone installed on our 5er. If we are doing a seasonal, I'll use my very heavy 13' Werner telescoping ladder to reach the top rung of the clunk on the 5er as in a senior moment purchased a too short version. I needed a 16 footer to allow for an angle at the bottom.

I especially try not to use the supplied ladder after seeing how a ladder was installed on our last and jigher end 5er - screws through the rear 'glass cap with no reinforcing. This 5er doesn't have a 'glass rear cap so can only guess how it's attached.

Lack of a ladder on many low to mud end RVs is often dictated by the manufacturer and if the roof can be walked on without spreader boards between roof trusses, We had one 3-4 back.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote