Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #113

An acquaintance of mine fell off the roof of his TT in October and he is still in intensive care.
Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2018, 04:37 PM   #114

I use both on our 5er. The rear ladder for checking, cleaning my roof a well as inspecting my AC units and fans. I use the telescoping ladder for everything else. (with caution...stupids decals are not ladder friendly!)
Kaniut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #115

Anybody using the telescoping ladders that retracts? What size would work good for blowing off debris on a class C's slide toppers?
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #116

Angry Me Colin Abbott

We have owned 23 motorhomes over many years, and a motorhome without a rear ladder is missing a very valuable item. According to all manufacturers we are supposed to clear leaves and twigs off the roof and slide toppers, plus check roof joins and if necessary carry out repairs. Leaning ladders against the side of the coach can damage the paintwork and also be dangerous, ladders can and do slip causing injury or even death if you do not have a rear ladder, get one fitted.
colinabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #117

Ak, I use mine to attach my fiberglass flagpole to it. and when I back my 5er under the trees I climb up to check roof clearance from branch's.
Grafton Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:47 PM   #118

Kinda like having a spare tire...real nice to have when you need it.
My "ladder" consists of rear rack/box and a couple of spare tires mounted on the rear. I climb right up.

'15 Pleasureway XL
10000 miles a year
levedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:50 PM   #119

I use mine all the time. I sweep off the slide. check the roof and calking. strap my honey wagon to it. Wouldn't leave home without it.
tom0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #120

Thumbs up No way

6’6 and 305 no way do I trust the attached ladder.
I use my own

Safety first :flowers
Wagon Master Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #121

12 years ago when we special ordered our rig, I requested the ladder and roof rack be included, but not installed, "just place all the pieces inside". I didn't like how cheesy they are (and get worse with time) and how poorly they are installed with caulk and such. The fewer holes, the better.

12 years later and those parts continue to take up space at home. We don't have a slide out so no topper to brush off. At home I use my 10 foot free-standing ladder to get on the roof for maintenance. I have not yet had a reason to get on the roof during a trip.

Here is our rig....ladder & roof rack free.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:58 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Anybody using the telescoping ladders that retracts? What size would work good for blowing off debris on a class C's slide toppers?
I've been using this one for the past 7 or 8 months:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Skeptical as I am about Chinese-made stuff in general, this thing is very stout and strong without being heavy. I bought it because I couldn't use the rear ladder - I was way over the 250-lb limit for it - and even though I'm quite a bit lighter now, I've come to prefer it. Good design, folds up and carries easily, the feet plant squarely and don't slip, and you can open it out to pretty much the exact length you want. I can't see being without one in the future.
oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:00 PM   #123

Former/ladder user

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktraveler View Post
I was at a dealership the other day and noticed that a lot of new motorhomes didn't have a ladder attached to the back side. When I asked about it, the dealer told me that a lot of manufacturers are no longer including ladders on their new models due to liability concerns.They're worried about people using the ladders to get on the roof and then falling off. I don't know if that is true, but I do see more and more RVs without attached ladders for whatever reason.

My point is this: even though most RV ladders are barely functional (on my last RV I needed a ladder to access the attached ladder), I still think they are an essential piece of equipment. You have to have some way to get on the roof of your coach. Or am I wrong? So I'll ask. Do you ever use the ladder that came with your RV to get on the roof of your coach?
Always. Either when cleaning before or after using our 5th wheel.
gcgroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #124

Spartan Chassis
I use the rear ladder every time I wash the MH. I don't use the bottom part but I use a normal 6ft folding ladder to get up to the upper portion.
Travel Supreme #40DS01-ISL-400
Jeep Sahara Unlimited-2010
gptexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #125

Gone the way of diving boards and pools with deep ends.
5spd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:29 PM   #126

I use the ladder to put the cover on my 5er. We get a lot of snow and wind where I live and I like to cover it in the winter when I don't/can't use the unit. Also, it handy to get up on the roof and check the caulking and maybe do some caulking touch ups.
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote