Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you have any DOT Check point experiences to share?

While reading and posting to the thread "Pennsylvania Driver License" I discovered a lot of confusion for the correct class of license in a lot of states.

Have you ever pulled into a weight station, or been pulled into a DOT Checkpoint?

If so, could you please share your experience with us?

Thanks
steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
There's only one or two states that require non-commercial vehicles over a certain weight to stop at a weigh station. I think Maryland is one of them, but I can't be sure.

I've never gone in one myself, and never been stopped for a check. Closest I ever came was on the Mass Pike (I think - somewhere in New England, anyway), when the state police had turned a rest are into a truck safety check. I pulled in to have lunch, and they had blocked off all the long truck parking slots for the stop. I explained what I wanted to do to the guy directing traffic, and he got them to move one of the cruisers out of the way so I could park.

FWIW, I ignore the "Truck Speed Limit" signs too, even though we're as big as many tractor-trailer rigs, if not quite as heavy. If they want to restrict speed based on length or weight, they better post it that way.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #3

DOT Checks for RVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
There's only one or two states that require non-commercial vehicles over a certain weight to stop at a weigh station. I think Maryland is one of them, but I can't be sure.

I've never gone in one myself, and never been stopped for a check. Closest I ever came was on the Mass Pike (I think - somewhere in New England, anyway), when the state police had turned a rest are into a truck safety check. I pulled in to have lunch, and they had blocked off all the long truck parking slots for the stop. I explained what I wanted to do to the guy directing traffic, and he got them to move one of the cruisers out of the way so I could park.

FWIW, I ignore the "Truck Speed Limit" signs too, even though we're as big as many tractor-trailer rigs, if not quite as heavy. If they want to restrict speed based on length or weight, they better post it that way.
There is a check station on I-10 in the FL panhandle. I might add as far as speed, I drive 60-65 on the interstate highways because my MH weighs 31,000 and doesn't stop as quick as a loaded semi. I have driven millions of miles in a semi and know what the stopping distance is for both rigs.
sportscoach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #4

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

California has posted restrictions for anyone towing limited to 55MPH same as the truck speed limit.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I love in the FL. Panhandle never stopped at that station. Didn't know I was supposed to!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' View Post
California has posted restrictions for anyone towing limited to 55MPH same as the truck speed limit.
They are also lane restrictions if you are towing in California.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
I love in the FL. Panhandle never stopped at that station. Didn't know I was supposed to!
LOVE? So you are too busy to stop anyway

I do not LIVE in Florida just visit but have never stopped at weigh station on I-10 when passing by either.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Probably in the late 1980's, on I-10 (van towing a Scotty TT) we stopped at that check station- Sign read "All trucks and Trailers Stop for Inspection". We were met with big smiles and a lot of waving us on.....
Both Indiana and Michigan show speed limits based on GVWR, don't know if they apply to RV's. If the law applies to "Trucks" it is usually only commercial.

Clayobx: We do too.....
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinjef View Post
While reading and posting to the thread "Pennsylvania Driver License" I discovered a lot of confusion for the correct class of license in a lot of states. Have you ever pulled into a weight station, or been pulled into a DOT Checkpoint? If so, could you please share your experience with us? Thanks
I'm guessing you need to know the risks of not upgrading your license in PA. You need to upgrade because you are over 26K lbs and have air brakes. I understand it is pretty easy to do. I dont know if other states will care, but PA does.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
I'm with you. I live in Texas but wife has family in Orlando. We've driven past that station several times. In fact, I drove right past that station not 2 weeks ago. I didn't stop, and no one came after me.

Did see any sign saying I was suppose to stop. I do recall it saying something about all trailers and rental trucks. As I don't qualify for either, I didn't stop.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
It is a Florida Agricultural Inspection Station-
From the regulations: FL570.15 "Florida Statute makes it unlawful for the driver of any vehicle, other than those exempted by the statute, to pass any official agricultural inspection station without first stopping and submitting the vehicle for inspection".
"Every law enforcement officer is authorized to stop and detain any vehicle and its driver if the driver has failed to comply with this section until an employee of the department arrives to conduct the inspection required or permitted by law. The law enforcement officer may require the driver to return with the vehicle to the agricultural inspection station where the driver failed to stop the vehicle for inspection."

Applies to all Motor vehicles,- except private passenger automobiles with no trailer in tow, travel trailers, camping trailers, van conversions, and motor homes as defined in s. 320.01(1)(b), or pickup trucks not carrying agricultural, horticultural, or livestock products and which have visible access to the entire cargo area, or city, county, state, or federal vehicles---
-----

So- I guess they can enforce it.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Illinois used to have an RV speed limit (same as trucks) posted on the Interstates. As far as DL's, I thought all 50 states were reciprocal to the owners home state...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
The DOT inspection stations and weigh stations are set up for the control and inspection of commercial trucks that are governed by the Interstate commerce commission in the earlier years. Now today it is just the DOT. They don't want RV's getting in line with the commercial trucks for weighing and inspection of your fruit basket on your kitchen table. Now if you had a enclosed trailer with 20,000 lbs. of oranges coming out of Florida after a winter rest they might be interested if you stopped but most likely one in the station would say to the other.....look at that big RV and that car trailer, why does he think he has to come in here?.....wow that's nice though.........and the oranges roll north.........
Old 11-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
They don't want RV's getting in line with the commercial trucks for weighing and inspection of your fruit basket on your kitchen table.