Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly View Post
It struck me as funny in a way cause we have been rving for over 20 yrs now and we have never seen a 'shut off your engine' sign while checking in....hmm, wonder where those cgs are? just never came across one yet but I am sure I will if you say they are out there
When we pulled the 5th wheel by a diesel truck and also when we had the diesel motorhome, we HAVE seen signs or have been told to shut the engine off when the check-in was at a booth - more often with the diesel truck because the motorhome was farther back from the booth. Those fumes go right into the booth and the noise makes it hard to hear for them and for us. (We volunteered and worked in one of those booths so we know first-hand.)

By the time you get off the highway and drive to check-in the engine is cooled down enough. No need to let it run.

Hot summer? The RV doesn't get hot that fast without air conditioning.

At the campsite? We ran it as minimally as possible. Also, if leaving early morning we put everything away outside the previous night and quite often disconnected everything but electric. No need for talking loud and slamming doors. As for being a neighbor, that's how we would like to be treated so that's how we treat others. It doesn't take much to be considerate to others.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #58

Ford Super Duty Owner
When checking in or at rest stops, I always asked my wife to shut the engine down after 4 minutes. I usually came out and it was still running. I bought a kitchen timer and set it at 4 minutes. It will not be ignored. It gets louder and louder until you shut it off. Any engine, gas or diesel, should be cooled down before shutting down. Five minutes at most. Over five minutes is doing more harm than good.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Softail View Post
Just because it doesn't bother you, doesn't mean it won't bother other folks.
People aren't "way too sensitive".
The people who say this are way too insensitive to others.
Society has become a group of "I'll do what I want, when I want, where I want" without regard to how it affects other people.
I find more self-centered people in campgrounds than people who take others into consideration.
I have a diesel, and I agree 100%
19jcm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #60

We work a check in booth at a park. Those coming in with diesel pickups better shut it down as we can’t even hear them talk if they don’t. Rear engine pushers not so much of a problem.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
When we pulled the 5th wheel by a diesel truck and also when we had the diesel motorhome, we HAVE seen signs or have been told to shut the engine off when the check-in was at a booth - more often with the diesel truck because the motorhome was farther back from the booth. Those fumes go right into the booth and the noise makes it hard to hear for them and for us. (We volunteered and worked in one of those booths so we know first-hand.)

By the time you get off the highway and drive to check-in the engine is cooled down enough. No need to let it run.

Hot summer? The RV doesn't get hot that fast without air conditioning.

At the campsite? We ran it as minimally as possible. Also, if leaving early morning we put everything away outside the previous night and quite often disconnected everything but electric. No need for talking loud and slamming doors. As for being a neighbor, that's how we would like to be treated so that's how we treat others. It doesn't take much to be considerate to others.

I totally disagree!

It does get that hot inside of any vehicle, including any RV. Several studies have shown a 20 degree rise inside the vehicle within 10 min. That’s on top of ambient air temp. 100 degree day, in direct sunlight, = 120 degrees plus inside in a matter of minutes. This also does not take into account the time it takes to cool the rig back down.

I have been in public safety for more than 25 years, in North Texas. I have personally seen these situations happen more times than I care to count.

Additionally, if you are pulling a 5th wheel with a diesel truck any distance at all (even a couple of miles). The engine is working and will need to cool down, without a load on it.
mtripp0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #62

Scarab0088

PM me please...
mtripp0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #63

Shut it down, especially if the check in area is near camp sites.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #64

For those who are complaining about engines running at check in. How did you get to be so perfect? You never make any noise around the campfire your dog never barks you never raise your voice or slam a door. I bow to your perfection.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Last year we stayed at a KOA near Bozeman and the only available site was opposite the office. Every day, between 1pm and 6pm people pulled in to check in. The noise and stink of the folks letting their Diesels idle was incredible. Sometimes there were lines for check-in and folks would let their Diesel run for 10 - 15 minutes.

We ALWAYS shut our Diesel off for both checking in and setting up camp.

Fact is that modern Diesels should not idle for extended periods at all. Cummins even tracks how long your Diesel has been idling and might refuse warranty service is idling is excessive.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
I follow the owners manual:

STOPPING THE ENGINE
Turn the ignition to the off position.
To prolong engine life (especially after extended high speed, high
ambient temperature, or high GVW/GCW operation), it is recommended
that a hot engine be idled for 3-5 minutes which will allow the
turbocharged engine to cool down.
I can understand that is needed on occasion no doubt. The non turbo people don't get it and just get off on the mystic of a diesel.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #67

Leave it running per Cummins. Ours has a 5 minute shut down timer that kills the engine after 5 minutes of idle time as long as the park brake is set. But the buzzer that alarms when the engine shuts down on the timer telling you that the key is still in the one position is louder and more annoying.
Until someone pays for my fuel, repairs, and maintenance, I'll do it the way the owners manual says.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
For those who are complaining about engines running at check in. How did you get to be so perfect? You never make any noise around the campfire your dog never barks you never raise your voice or slam a door. I bow to your perfection.
Not perfect, just a bit annoyed that one inconsiderate grub deliberately forces 20 innocent people to be tolerant and then has the gall to get offended when one of those 20 dares suggest he could treat his neighbours a bit better.

Not sure why some bigrig drivers can't get it through their heads that cooldown idling is not required if the last couple of minutes have been slow-speed low-load travel through suburban streets into a campground.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Do you leave your engine running while checking in to a CG?

It has a 5 min shut down because it and Cummins assumes assumes you forgot .. idling is bad for it .. that’s also in the Cummins spiel you can wait a few minutes at a stop light that’s why the 5 min time also ( many pull the brake ) .. so it doesn’t go off in stop and go traffic . Cool down on a diesel is specified for the turbo not the engine and it’s from a hard pull on a 6% grade not just driving on a freeway at 1500 rpm , that’s not a “load”! It’s the time at the top of the 6% hill at the brake check the min cool down time is 5 min and that’s not for not level running .
I worked for the company that forced the shut down on stop for fuel saving reasons . It was never a problem and the engines lasted well over a million miles. The last tractor I drove pulling triples ( up to 105000 lb had1.3 mil on it , no rebuild and was shut down as soon as it stopped or pulled on the yard to the check in gate.
All that won’t convince anybody and I’ll be told I’m crazy and The company I worked for didn’t know anything and that’s ok
It doesn’t really matter to me what everyone does .. my coach is well insulated and in 10 min I can’t tell the difference on the ac question .. ( but no “sensitive” dogs either ) I turn mine off especially if I’m near any buildings as a common curtesy. Many don’t , for a lot of their own real or imagined reasons as posted here and every other thread / forum on this.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I doubt cooling the turbo is necessary unless you drive right to your campsite at 70 mph.

My rig requires the engine be running to lower the jacks and extend the slides. So we generally pull the chairs and camping rug out of the bins before extending the slides and leveling. So the engine runs for about 10 minutes after arriving at camping site.

What kind of rig do you have? Did not know any required engine running to extend the slides or level. I always figured your coach batteries would do that.
texkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine