Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2018, 11:13 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Mostly locked, always if not there, (key fob). Always prepared if present........
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2018, 11:18 PM   #44

Mine are always locked unless I am there at the campsite with the rv
inkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:31 AM   #45

I changed the locks on he fifth wheel to the round cylinder locks. Changed the slam locks and door lock to electric locks. Installed hitch pin lock for when we're parked in unsecure areas. Out here the propane tanks, batteries and generators get stolen often, so they are locked when the rig is in storage.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
SpiritDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:14 AM   #46

I lock them after I was going down the street with my wife following me and pointed out that one of them had opened.

Sent from my SM-G965U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Fairfieldwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:28 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Domiciled in Florida, Full Timer west of the Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Denver Send a message via MSN to Denver Send a message via Yahoo to Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post
I have never locked a storage bin in 20 years.
I'm with you
Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:51 AM   #48

Do you change your locks because every camper uses the same one

Sent from my LG-H910 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:58 AM   #49

Always
Mattie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:09 AM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Always locked out of habit. Our first MH had the "hole in the wall" storage bins with a key lock coupled with a twist lock. Had to keep the key side locked to keep the door sealed tight.
Current MH has bus style side swing doors. One latch and lock that works well, but I still lock them while driving down the road, or in storage at the side of our home.
Unlocked while camping. Never lost anything. Never driven the RV through France.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #51
TWT

Of course!

Sent from my VS501 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
TWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:30 PM   #52

I like to think in percentages. When I had the Beaver it had central locking and a mere touch of a button locked all compartments. Easy and I wish all rigs had this feature. When we were living in an RV Park we never had a problem. I would give most RV Parks an 80 to 90% confidence nothing will be stolen unless you are next to a public street then the odds of theft are much higher. When I parked the Beaver next to the house I saw a creep trying to open the compartment and he was gone before I got my shoes on, had my door lock jammed, though it held and in another motor home they tried to steal the whole thing. So my confidence is significantly higher in RV Parks than in storage next to the house or even in RV Storage faculties. It takes but one morally challenged person to ruin your day, be it a bicycle, tools or whatever. Depending on the Park I leave my door open when gone as my pets might need rescuing in the event of fire but definitely not next to the stick and brick.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:55 AM   #53

I keep mine locked during travel so they don't open up. When in a campground or park I lock them when we retire or leave - I have a button on dash that locks and unlocks all.
At home, my coach is beside house inside the 7' perimeter fence, so I don't lock them.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:36 PM   #54

First off why are you asking this question in the first place. This is boarder line on possibly breaking forum rules. I come from the big city where were very street smart. Usually people asking these kind of questions are the folks looking for who's houses and RVs they can break into. I advice you to please be careful. It is a good way to get permanently kicked out of the forums. So called sensitive questions would be taboo in my opinion. Just saying.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:46 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
First off why are you asking this question in the first place. This is boarder line on possibly breaking forum rules. I come from the big city where were very street smart. Usually people asking these kind of questions are the folks looking for who's houses and RVs they can break into. I advice you to please be careful. It is a good way to get permanently kicked out of the forums. So called sensitive questions would be taboo in my opinion. Just saying.
Serious or tongue in cheek?
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:50 AM   #56
Commercial Member

i keep mine locked. i have traveled many miles since 1967. and have found most parking and areas moderately safe. i have also been in areas, not of my choice, that i was glad the compartments were locked.
there is always someone who wants what you have. ive witnessed that many times in urban campgrounds. not so much in the country areas.

at one fairground, kids, were going around opening the holding tank valves for fun. they also opened the refrig access door and placed paper or some other flammable material near the burner.
i have also had tools, an air compressor and even an 50 amp extension cord stolen when i forgot the lock.
its better safe than sorry.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage