Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do you shop at Walmart when overnighting there?
Almost always 96 83.48%
75% of the time 7 6.09%
50% / 50% mix 6 5.22%
25% of the time 2 1.74%
Almost never 4 3.48%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
I try to never go to a Walmart. Since I don't approve of their business practices than I vote with my money and shop at other places and since most other places end up being cheaper any way I come out ahead in more than one way. Do I stay at their store overnight? Why when I could stay at other places for free and not compromise myself.
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
We normally shop at WalMart once or twice a week regardless of where the MH is parked, so on the very rare occasion that we overnight at WalMart shopping is part of the routine.
That's us, too.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well for overnighting I prefer Wally World, it's easy to find, usually in a shopping complex so they're not the only store or place to eat in the immediate area.
Quote:
Do I stay at their store overnight? Why when I could stay at other places for free and not compromise myself.
Kind of curious how you answered the poll if you never overnight and shop there.
Just wondering?
Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
I try to never go to a Walmart. Since I don't approve of their business practices than I vote with my money and shop at other places and since most other places end up being cheaper any way I come out ahead in more than one way. Do I stay at their store overnight? Why when I could stay at other places for free and not compromise myself.
Thanks! I needed a good laugh today. Is this a great Country or what!!!! Free to do as we please or any reason what-so-ever and be proud to tell everyone else that we did it.
So, let me tell you my skewed view of the World. I am sure there was a time in my life where I did not shop at Wal-Mart (before it existed maybe) but now, due to our lack of planning ability, we usually visit Wal-Mart 3-5 times per week. We also visit Sam's Club 1-2 times per month to stock up on meat, wine and liquor, Avocados, paper supplies and Prilosec! Just last night I needed a new surge protector due to an electrical issue in my coach (I am so smart to have installed a surge protector!) and I just zipped over to Wal-Mart at 10 PM and picked one up. Sold under the GE brand name (maybe it was made in Mexico, I don't know and I don't care) I was glad to be able to get it so I could get my electronics back online.
Today, we were back at Wal-Mart for Sam's brand diet cola, a new belt, looked at one of those new LED LCD TV's, toilet paper, salad dressing, olive oil, sesame seed oil, broccoli and some sugar free orange flavored breakfast drink (I hate it that they discontinued sugar free Tang!).
Anyway, not meaning to ramble on to the point of nausea, I really, really like Wal-Mart and Sam's Club.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
I believe what I wrote was that I try to never shop there. Sometimes it can't be helped but 99.9% of the time it can. As for overnighting there are other places like truck stops, rest areas or BLM that you can stop at for free.
If you notice that you very rarely (can't say never cause some get talked into it) see the "mom and pop" vendors with stuff for sale in there but you will find it at Target or other places. Have a friend that worked at a large company in a capacity that required him to know things. They tell companies what they will buy the product from them. For instance they will go to a business and tell them "We will buy so and so to sell in our stores for $1 each" but the company then says "But it takes $1.05 to make it" they don't care. If you want to sell there you play be their rules. It's not all the things they do that with but enough that it's not worth it to some companies to no longer deal with them.
Thats not the only thing but it is just one reason that I have for not wanting to shop there. I do not tell anyone else not to shop there. Everyone has their own reasons for things and thats personal with them.
I kept telling my mother in law to try the other stores around. Never pushed it thou. She kept going there then she shopped for some reason at the other place down the road and was plesently surprised that the other store was much cheaper on most things. My only response was "I tried to tell you that"
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Sometimes it can't be helped
If you are dead set against Wal-Mart, it can always be helped. It might not be convenient but if you choose not to shop there then don't. If everyone did this then Wal-Mart would change their policies, raise their prices and then we could all feel very good about spending more money. It's what this economy needs (I am not being sarcastic about that particular point) to get our economy back on track again.
If I am a manufacturer and Wal-Mart says they will buy your product that costs $1.05 to make for $1.00 I will just hang up and sell my product to those interested in buying it at a price that makes me a profit OR (and this is the likely result) I will try to figure out how some other company is able to sell the same product to Wal-Mart for so much less and adjust my business practices.
I know, I have heard all of the stories and yours is not unfamiliar. Wal-Mart is a bully. I do not disagree with this. I spent many years in my youth in the car business. In the Washington DC area JKJ Chevrolet was the "Bully". They were huge. They undercut everyone. They were accused of unfair business practices. They made deals that no one else could make (and often did not stand behind). They sold more cars than anyone in the area (by 2 or 3 fold) but it was the same car and it was cheaper. I, personally, did not like their business practices so I did not work there. Because of this choice, which I was completely comfortable with, I made less money as a top salesman at my dealership than the average salesmen at JKJ. We all make choices. These threads just amuse me and I can't help but ramble on!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
These threads just amuse me and I can't help but ramble on!

Me too, Bill, do you suppose its a sign of old age?

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I park and shop at Wal Mart or is that I shop and park at Wal Mart
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowreef View Post
I generally dont buy anything at Walmart as I have been making an effort not to buy any products made in China, and that is HARD to do at Wallyworld. However, if I were to overnight there I would definitely patronize the store with at least some food items.

Great concept, except almost everything from most stores, Walmart or others, don the Made in China label.

It is difficult to find anything actually made in USA or Canada, and if you do it is exponentially more expensive than their Chinese counterparts.
Gerall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have only stayed at one three times but yes we did shop there and it's a regular shopping place wherever we are.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercrust View Post
Do you shop at Walmart when overnighting there?
Your poll needs always for us and when we are not traveling also.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerall

Great concept, except almost everything from most stores, Walmart or others, don the Made in China label.

It is difficult to find anything actually made in USA or Canada, and if you do it is exponentially more expensive than their Chinese counterparts.
It is more convenient and it is cheaper to buy made in China stuff. It is not that difficult, if one wishes to make the effort, to find stuff made in the US or countries other than China. It is a big fat lie that nothing is made here anymore. Manufacturing is still going strong in this country. People choose to buy items manufactured elsewhere because of the one stop shopping convenience and the price. What you see as exponentially more expensive I see as exponentially better made.

FYI:

http://www.madeinusa.org/
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
I won't buy anything from them let alone park in one of their lots!
Good, more room for those of us that do!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowreef View Post
It is more convenient and it is cheaper to buy made in China stuff. It is not that difficult, if one wishes to make the effort, to find stuff made in the US or countries other than China. It is a big fat lie that nothing is made here anymore. Manufacturing is still going strong in this country. People choose to buy items manufactured elsewhere because of the one stop shopping convenience and the price. What you see as exponentially more expensive I see as exponentially better made.
After more than ten years fulltiming we build a house and we had nothing to move in. (We left everything in the motorhome because we still travel six months a year.) We had to buy everything new from pots and pans, to can openers, to sheets, to furniture. We tried hard to buy USA products but could not find any. We shopped in several furniture stores, home stores, Bed Bath & Beyond, Best Buy and even Mom and Pop type stores. I will guess 90% of what we found was made in China, 8% in other countries and about 2% in the USA.

We shopped at Lazy Boy because they use to advertise made in America, but we found everything was imported from China and "proudly assembled in America." We watched a young man unpack our two chairs and sofa and proudly assemble them in our house. We bought a grinding salt and pepper shaker set from America and neither one worked, but when we returned them to the store we found the Chinese set worked.

Oh how we tried to buy American and even called stores before shopping there. But we found so very little American that our house is now Chinese. And we had decided to pay 20% extra for made in America but couldn't find it.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote