Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #15

In our case I find it works best by having DW back our coach into the space while I signal by hand outside which direction to turn steering wheel while backing etc. Must admit, she does a great job.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
We do. If there are two of us, the coach doesn't go in reverse unless momma is in the back. We don't use radios and the speaker in our rear camera is useless with a big diesel back there. We tried the radios but they broke right away and weren't that usefull anyway.

We start by both walking around the site and discussing where we want the right rear wheel to be and things we need to do and watch for to get there. If it doesn't go smoothly I often times will get out and we'll walk around and discuss again. Maybe we're lucky... or just retired and have lots of time, but we have never really gotten testy with each other while backing in.

Rick

ditto
dw and I do a walk around and decide whats best approach
then i watch her with the mirrors and camera.
if i stop its because i cant see her anymore and then she moves to see me in the mirrors.
so far i havent run over her

if its been a stressful drive.......we take longer so we can unwind

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
i watch her with the mirrors and camera.
if i stop its because i cant see her anymore and then she moves to see me in the mirrors.
so far i havent run over her
Ditto back at ya Powerboater. I left this part out but if I don't see her in one of the mirrors the coach stops until I do. Maybe that's why we don't argue when backing in... she know who's on foot and who's at the controls of 15 tons.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
She stands on the side of the coach at the back if there a obstruction there. If not she knows where the sewer compartment is and lines it up with the connection. If she can't see me in the mirror I can't see her. As long as I can see her I know I won't be sleeping alone that night.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
If the female will back in the coach while the male provides direction that may work best. Please, no flames, as a species the female generally speaking will take direction better than the male. The male provides direction better than the female.

For me, since the wife will have no part in any coach movement tasks, I have a process that allows me to properly back into just about any site on the first try.
Gary, Care to share the process you use?

Don
Old 05-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like the original OP had one of those experiences DW & myself had before we worked out our new stradegy. We both get out and agree where we want to put the rear wheels/bumper in relation to utilities and level. And we use radios because of the many places we've been that may have obstacles on the passenger side to manuver around. And frankly, sometimes I can't see her. So, keep a good set of radios. You will be amazed at how many times you will use them outside of backing in a spot.

Dave
Old 05-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a very good "momback" she stands or walks behind and to the drivers side so she can see me in the mirror and I can see her. I have always tried to stay out of the entertainment business at campgrounds so we stop both get out and look it over and she decides where I want to put it and then she stands where she wants the drivers side back corner to be (don't be fooling with that sentance) I just kind of try to get it there with the least amount of entertainment possable.
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #22
ccc

Larry Dre,
I had not planned to contribute to this thread until I saw the picture of your trawler style boat. We had one that we cruised extensively, had it for 25 yrs and made the transition to TT last summer. You said it correctly PLAN THE MANUVER before backing. That is the way THE WIFE and I docked the boat, planned the docking before we started it. We do the same with the TT, stop reconnoiter the spot and decide what we want.
CCC

Evergreen RV Owners Group
ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc View Post
Larry Dre,
I had not planned to contribute to this thread until I saw the picture of your trawler style boat. We had one that we cruised extensively, had it for 25 yrs and made the transition to TT last summer. You said it correctly PLAN THE MANUVER before backing. That is the way THE WIFE and I docked the boat, planned the docking before we started it. We do the same with the TT, stop reconnoiter the spot and decide what we want.
CCC
Did the Great Loop in that boat over 4 years! Biggest problem we had was the plan didn't always work as planned!
Old 05-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #24
ccc

Glad to meet another multi year Great Circle Cruiser. Those who do it in one year have on idea of what they are missing, we did it in 5 years and ove 9,000 miles. (It is a 5,000 mile trip around in a hurry.)

We had a ball and now in the TT.

CCC
Lying White Horse, Yukon Territory

Evergreen RV Owners Group
ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:27 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like Wayne, I ask for a pull through. Even with those DW does the guiding. When backing I must have her in sight or the coach doesn't move. She picks the spot where she can see to guide me. She's retired LEO and I spent 39 years doing and/or teaching it. We've both have had our share of traffic control. There is never a question of her directions, either hand signal or by radio. If she has any question about the final placement of the coach, I'll get out and check it to make sure that I'm comfortable with clearances for the bay door, slides and awnings to open and that the electrical cord will reach. I carry plenty of extra water and sewer hose so they are not critical. She does a magnificent job and I follow her directions explictedly.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
We start by both walking around the site and discussing where we want the right rear wheel to be and things we need to do and watch for

Great tip RickO. will sure use that in the future.

My DW has great arm motion and i have come to understand what she means (probably kinda like monkey communication, haha) But if she is not available to help me back into a site i prefer to work solo!!
rhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
We use hand signals and the mirrors. Dw on the ground me in the seat. No problems to this point. However,to fully disclose, we have been married 47 years and she has been training me since I was 19!
Old 05-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhorn View Post
We start by both walking around the site and discussing where we want the right rear wheel to be and things we need to do and watch for

Great tip RickO. will sure use that in the future.
I actually ment to say it's the LEFT rear wheel we want to determine the location of. I haven't heard it mentioned yet but it's usually the position of the slides we have to be most concerned with. On the driver's side there's frequently obstructions that need to be taken into accout to allow both drivers side slides to be deployed.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote