Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
They are one source I will check, but as has been suggested, you need to read between the lines.

Years ago, before we all had a computer, let alone a "smart" phone, we'd rely on the Good Sam ratings in their then very popular campground guide book. Can't tell you how many times we'd shake our heads after arriving at a highly rated park, wondering just who was doing the reviewing.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #16

Excel Owners Club
We also use them as another tool. And overall, we think RV park reviews does usually tend to give a fairly good snapshot. Particularly if there is more than one or two reviews.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #17

historically we used Woodall's and/or Trailer Life directories but since they were taken over by Camping World we've found that the info they provide is questionable at best .... we are members of another camping related forum that has a really large and growing volume of data area reported by members .... the threads include pictures and comments on CG's and attractions in all 50 states .... we have found that those reviews are ones we can place considerable confidence in

Jim
Old 06-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #18

I do read reviews. Only once have a seen a review that did keep me from staying, it was : Our fire ring had a hypodermic needle in it when we arrived.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
With rvparkreviews, we throw out the highest and lowest scores and what's left is pretty accurate ratings of a particular CG.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #20

We look at them but filter on the complaint. No 50 A service is meaningless as long as we can get 30 we are happy. Ditto trees blocked my Dish. Dump station in the bottom of a swamp or loud parties all night will get a down check. There are simply a lot of things we do not care about if the roads are decent, crowd reasonably quiet, the wifi works and we can dump and fill. After that things get negotiable. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:07 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I look at them but don't pay too much attention to them.
I really only use the campground to supply electric and water. and a place to park my Urv while I sleep.
once I'm inside my RV for the nigh the the view outside doesn't matter.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
I use them as well, and they can be very helpful, but sometimes you need to read between the lines. One site had a review that the staff was overbearing and that they were speed Nazis (their word, not mine) if you went over 5 mph. Well, it is a wonderful RV park, immaculately maintained, spotless facilities and it is very nice not to have cars zooming around. And the first time there I accidently knocked down a fence post, told them, was thanked for letting them know and never heard another word about it. We go there twice a year now.
Lake in Wood?
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #23

We do not travel to the 'lower48' much, we do look at reviews of RV parks that we might be staying at. One thing that we do more and more is to check out the RV parks of Google earth. While one can not tell about the way others are treated, I can look at the lay out and get an idea if it is some place that we would be willing to stay at. Being that we travel with our Labs, I look for plenty of room for them.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
We do not travel to the 'lower48' much, we do look at reviews of RV parks that we might be staying at. One thing that we do more and more is to check out the RV parks of Google earth. While one can not tell about the way others are treated, I can look at the lay out and get an idea if it is some place that we would be willing to stay at. Being that we travel with our Labs, I look for plenty of room for them.

Great point. I always check out the satellite views first, before I even concern myself with the reviews or any other thing. I hadn't really thought about how much my decision is based on that.

After I determine the general location meets my needs, then I check out the park itself and it's surrounding area on satellite, only then do I look at the reviews. I really wasn't aware how important I make that until you mentioned it.

Does google earth give a better perspective than just using the satellite view in google maps?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #25

We use RVParkReviews all the time. I never worry about reviews from folks that have less than 20 on line. I seldom look at a review that is more than 1 year old. I also drop the highest and lowest and mostly the rest are fairly accurate.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #26

I also urge everyone to rate a campground. It is so very very helpful. When we went to FL a few reviews talked about fire ants. We stayed away.

Georgetown 328TS Class A 2010 Toyota Corolla
joannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #27

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joannel View Post
I also urge everyone to rate a campground. It is so very very helpful. When we went to FL a few reviews talked about fire ants. We stayed away.
Fire ants are everywhere in Florida except underwater.

Mounds can pop up very quickly.

The presence of one or two mounds would be a normal condition in the sunny areas.

Lots of mounds could indicate poor maintenance by the campground.

I would not write off a campground for a just a few mounds.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground