Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do you use seat belts while driving?
Yes, I use them every time I drive! 292 89.57%
I use them occasionally, but not always. 25 7.67%
I never use them, too much trouble! 9 2.76%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #127

In an accident in 1959, I was only one who didn't have to go to the hospital. That year, I installed seatbelts on our 1957 Ford. When I pulled the floor mats back, I found Ford had installed reinforcing plates, drilled and tapped for seat belts. Seems even though auto makers were fighting the installation of seat belts, they were already preparing for seat belts in 1957. Always required our kids to wear seatbelts. I even require all adults to wear seatbelts before going anywhere. Love seatbelts AND airbags - saved me from serious injury when I totaled a car in 1998.
OlJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #128

We always wear seatbelts and so does our dog. He's a big, 88lb furry beast and we don't want him injured, nor do we want him flying into us in the event of an accident. We don't travel with anything or anyone unsecured.
Ayvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #129

Always. It's such an engraved habit I usually fasten them without noticing, just to back the car out of the garage.
HikesInRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:56 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
Pet peeve of mine:

Although I am 100% into all passengers wearing a seatbelt... I am against the law that motorcycle pilots must wear helmets.

Now, hear me out on this!

I believe that any passenger on a motorcycle should be required to wear a safety helmet. However, in regard to the pilot. It should be up to their discretion to wear a helmet or not. Reason is: For the driver of a motorcycle a helmet can limit visibility as well as cause unexpected sounds when nearing to get into a crash situation. Without the helmet on the driver may have been able to avert the crash all together. Therefore... although for all persons on a bike a helmet would likely reduce chance of injury, it should be up to the driver's discretion to wear one or not.
I rest my case!!
You actually hear less when not wearing a properly fitted helmet as the wind noise without one literally is deafening causing both temporary high level hearing loss and accrued lower level hearing loss over time.

Yes you can wear ear plugs to mitigate the hearing loss without getting the protection of the helmet however then you are still isolated from the sounds of the road. Vision issues will be mostly from choosing the wrong helmet for your head shape or choosing a very poorly engineered one.

In Love Bug Season here in Florida you do not want to be riding a motor cycle without a full faced helmet or driving any car, truck, etc with the windows rolled down and its like getting hit with buckshot.

You can also experience hearing loss from driving cars, trucks and motor homes for long distances on the interstate with the windows rolled down especially if the mirrors are not chosen and placed by the manufacture to mitigate wind noise.

Be mindful that they factor none compliance with seat belt and helmet laws into all our insurance rates so that those of us who do comply end up subsidizing the increased medical costs incurred by those who do not comply.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:35 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
You actually hear less when not wearing a properly fitted helmet as the wind noise without one literally is deafening causing both temporary high level hearing loss and accrued lower level hearing loss over time.

Yes you can wear ear plugs to mitigate the hearing loss without getting the protection of the helmet however then you are still isolated from the sounds of the road. Vision issues will be mostly from choosing the wrong helmet for your head shape or choosing a very poorly engineered one.

In Love Bug Season here in Florida you do not want to be riding a motor cycle without a full faced helmet or driving any car, truck, etc with the windows rolled down and its like getting hit with buckshot.

You can also experience hearing loss from driving cars, trucks and motor homes for long distances on the interstate with the windows rolled down especially if the mirrors are not chosen and placed by the manufacture to mitigate wind noise.

Be mindful that they factor none compliance with seat belt and helmet laws into all our insurance rates so that those of us who do comply end up subsidizing the increased medical costs incurred by those who do not comply.
Didn't say I don't wear a helmet [for logical safety reasons] as driver if a bike... just that [for driving preferences] I feel it should be my choice as to wear a helmet or not... being the driver of a motorcycle.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:10 AM   #132

Do you use seat belts?

As a former race car mechanic and driver I can not imagine why any one would not wear seatbelts or wear a motorcycle helmet. I have several times helped get a driver out a car destroyed at over 250 mph.In everyone of those crashes the driver escaped with no serious injures. Without seat belts and helmets none of those people would not have survived. I understand the thinking on seat belts and helmets that it should be your choice if you want to protect your self or not. But at the same time I feel that insurance company's should not have pay off when you decide not to do the safe thing.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #133

Love bugs

I think you mean windows rolled up for love bug season.
Culpkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #134

I can't believe that this is even a topic of discussion, let alone 10 pages worth! Isn't it the law to wear them??? What's there to discuss?
TajMahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:32 AM   #135
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TajMahal View Post
I can't believe that this is even a topic of discussion, let alone 10 pages worth! Isn't it the law to wear them??? What's there to discuss?
There's laws against texting too, but some folks choose to ignore them!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:56 AM   #136

Triple E Owners Club
A and B

A) ABSOLUTELY YES!!!! Even our dog is belted in. Humans who don’t belt up in a vehicle are all eligible for the Darwin Award. It just depends how spectacularly they die. Tossed out, tossed around, it’s usually the same result.

B) Inside the skull, the brain, encased in cerebrospinal fluid, has the consistency of tooth paste. CTE, brain injury and concussion are known byproducts of helmeted humans smashing their heads into one another. Those on bicycles and motorcycles who fall to ground at speed without helmets are also eligible for the same Darwin awards. Or worse. Like a permanent coma.

I’ve seen too many ruined lives present to me on a stretcher in our trauma room. It’s quite sad the choices some people make.

DJ
Old 08-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajMahal View Post
I would not call this thread just a discussion... so much as I would say it is personal conjecture on levels of importance. Regarding whether or not a person feels the "law" is correct... for one reason or another, or in one form or another, or at one time or another.

There are many pieces to each part [puzzel] of life.

You ever break the "law" by speeding on the road? Rolling through a stop sign at a intersection for a couple of non trafficked one lane roads in the country? No matter how careful you are - each of those instances may jeopardize the wellbeing of yourself and/or others. If you ever did or continue to do one or both of those items... you must feel it's OK; and, to heck with the law, I'll take my chances with doing something the way I desire! Rather than to follow the letter of the law!!

We're all rebels at heart to some extent. Otherwise we would probably not be RVers!
Old 08-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #138

Don't each State individually regulate the use of seatbelts? For example, in some states, you cannot be stopped solely because you were not wearing a seatbelt (primary offense), and in others, you can be stopped by police simply because you were not wearing a seatbelt. For example, Florida for years had seatbelt violation as a secondary offense/violation; the cop stopped you for speeding and when he/she approached your door he/she could see you had not seatbelt then he/she could ticket you for a seatbelt violation. This changed sometime between 2001-2014 and seatbelt violation became a primary offense/violation.

Now, who is required to wear a seatbelt while the vehicle is in motion? The driver always regardless of the type of vehicle while when speaking of sedans and pick-up trucks each State regulation differs for the passengers. Generally and varying from State to State, the passengers/occupants of larger passenger carrying vehicles i.e. busses, RVs are not required to wear seatbelts.
corgum13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgum13 View Post
Don't each State individually regulate the use of seatbelts? For example, in some states, you cannot be stopped solely because you were not wearing a seatbelt (primary offense), and in others, you can be stopped by police simply because you were not wearing a seatbelt. For example, Florida for years had seatbelt violation as a secondary offense/violation; the cop stopped you for speeding and when he/she approached your door he/she could see you had not seatbelt then he/she could ticket you for a seatbelt violation. This changed sometime between 2001-2014 and seatbelt violation became a primary offense/violation.

Now, who is required to wear a seatbelt while the vehicle is in motion? The driver always regardless of the type of vehicle while when speaking of sedans and pick-up trucks each State regulation differs for the passengers. Generally and varying from State to State, the passengers/occupants of larger passenger carrying vehicles i.e. busses, RVs are not required to wear seatbelts.
Yes, it is a state responsibility to make and enforce these laws. BUT, the federal government will look at each states compliance with the seatbelt laws on any federal funded highway and if they don't think the state is enforcing their laws sufficiently they can withhold federal funds from the state to get them to change their ways. Same thing for speed limits and weight law enforcements.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:42 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Yes, it is a state responsibility to make and enforce these laws. BUT, the federal government will look at each states compliance with the seatbelt laws on any federal funded highway and if they don't think the state is enforcing their laws sufficiently they can withhold federal funds from the state to get them to change their ways. Same thing for speed limits and weight law enforcements.
True True.
corgum13 is offline   Reply With Quote