Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
Forest River Owners Club
Dodge vs Ford vs Chevy

I know this has been asked a hundred times, but this is an ever changing task. Today, if you were to purchase a new tow vehicle, would it be a Dodge, Chevy or Ford, and why ??

Chillbilly - Maryville, TN - Forest River Rockwood 5th Wheel - Ford F250 - Semper-Fi
Chillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
Since I don't own none of the three trucks I've been to by a Chevy owner his 1500 tranny can't pull a max load. I have a friend who owns a new f250 and pulls his Shelby to car show without any trouble. Don't know any dodge owners.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
You're really opening up a can of worms here.

Ford because the SuperDuty cab and suspension is just so danged tough. Mine is 12 years old, and it never had a warranty claim. And after all these years, my Lariat leather interior with captains chairs still looks like new.

Since Ford has sold more diesel 3/4-1 ton trucks than GM and Chrysler combined, parts are readily available everywhere and relatively inexpensive.

Resale is tops, and people will be knocking your doors down for one of the 6.7 diesels years from now.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
Thor Owners Club
Check out the Ford 6.7 litre scorpion engine on youtube that the heavy duty models have......great engine....
The Cummins has an amazing track record and I haven't heard many complaints from Ram owners......
Chevrolet.......great transmissions but I don't have any friends that tow with a Chev HD.....
Stay away from the Ford 6.0 litre which is on older models......
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Evergreen Owners Club
My worm goes to Chevy
Keith & Drena with Casey & P-nut (dogs) & Gabby (cat)
2014 Silverado 3500HD Dually 4X4
2014 Evergreen Bay Hill 365rl
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
Appalachian Campers
I'm a Dodge guy, had my 2500 for 11 years now and love it. It pulls amazing (I'm pretty close to my GCWR and will run 75+ easily if I don't watch it.) stops without the trailer brakes easily, hasn't given me much in the way of trouble.

So I'd get a 3500SRW, the big Cummins engine and flog it. The track record, in general and personally, is there.

Second I'd get a GMC with a Duramax/Allison. I worked on those from the day they came out until 2008, they surprised me and are amazingly tough engines.
2001 HO Cummins powered Dodge 2500
2014 Sierra 346RETS
Nights camped in 2014-28
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #7
I currently have a 2008 6.4L F350 and it is a great truck. A couple warranty issues, radiator and steering box, but other than that it's been a solid puller. With that said if I were going to get something new I'd go Chevy and a dually. The Fords are great trucks and the new motor is a beast but I've grown a bit concerned with them in regards to warranty coverage as they're pretty tough now after taking a beating on the 6.0L. It will be interesting to see how the Aisin transmission does over time. If it lives up to the hype and is as good as the Allison transmission then Dodge has a winning combination that would be worth looking at.
John, Laurie & the 2 Schnauzers (Mazie & Obi)
2008 Ford F350 6.4L CC SRW
2012 Cardinal 3030RS - B&W Companion Hitch
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
Well here is my 2 cents i was a mechanic for 30 years and all i will own are gm. Fords ride like tanks , dodge better ride great diesel engines and thanks to toyota transmissions i was able to stop turning wrenches 5 years early! Made a lot of money rebuilding tundra trans.
sledwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:29 AM   #9
Foretravel Owners Club
Crazy! In my world, the Ford wins by far, back in the 60's, think the Dodge or International would be the pick, today Ford seems to have won that battle. My business has two F350 SRW 4X4 diesel 6.7L, I replace them at 95,000 miles, they have great resale, been doing that for last 25 years, found the GM line was always needing switches, transmissions etc. The Ford never has those issues.
I always load them up option wise, the employees like them, and easy to resell. Swap the service body back to the new bed, looks new.
Ever try to sell a used pickup with no fancy options, they do not sell.
Good luck
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
My vote goes to "Dodge' truck. Yes the early ones rode like tanks but they sure did the work that I asked of them. Today I have a 1994 3/4t 4x4, 5.9 Cummins that had a snow plow on it and had since day one. It currently has over 235,000 miles and has done very well. I also have a 2007 Dodge 3/4t 4x4 with the 6.7 Cummins that had over 152,000 miles on it. This truck has a better ride then the 94 does and it still get worked. Over time I have not had any major repairs that were not unexpected, and general maintenance has been normal items.
While Ford has a strong following, there for several years they were having 'issues' with their diesel engines. When we had Class C MH's, the big Ford engines were my first choice and had MH's with the older 460 and the new V10. Never had any issues with them, other then wanting to stop at every other gas station!.
As for GM, they might be OK, but the local dealers SUCK big time and that has turned me off to them.

2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote

chevy, dodge, ford