Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Dodged a bullet at Speedco yesterday!

I took the MH to Speedco yesterday for the annual service, including the generator. After the guy had changed the oil in the genny I asked him to check the coolant level in the reservoir. When he removed the cap it was full of motor oil! I had it serviced at that same location back in October, and undoubtedly the guy who changed the oil had removed the wrong cap, started filling it with oil, and when the small reservoir overflowed realized his mistake! Then, instead of admitting his mistake he must have just replaced the coolant cap, removed the correct cap to put the new oil in, then went about his merry way!

The assistant manager accepted responsibility for the error, siphoned the oil out of the reservoir, flushed it with radiator flush, and refilled the system with new antifreeze. It appears that the oil did not get out of the reservoir into the radiator because when the drain was opened it looked like just green antifreeze that came out. Onan tech support support tells me that I'm unlikely to have any problems as a result of this.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You need to exercise that gen. It appears it has not run since Oct. Why did you have it serviced again?

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
You need to exercise that gen. It appears it has not run since Oct. Why did you have it serviced again?

Actually, I run it about 30 minutes every couple of weeks, even when it is just sitting in the yard. It is my understanding that nothing is pulled from the reservoir into the radiator system unless the fluid in the radiator is low. That would explain why the oil does not appear to have gotten down and mixed with the coolant.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #4

Having just done mine in OKC at Speedco, please tell me it wasn't there.

I am always watching, even if it is from the office. One of the guys in the pit dropped the extended life water filter, thinking it was fuel, even remarking that the 'fuel' is not stopping running out. A gallon of coolant went on the floor before they got it back on.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks. Just curious. I would of thought that the thermal expansions would have mixed the water and oil. I have always had great service from Speedco.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
why do you think you dodged a bullet? Oil in the coolant isnt all that bad.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Thanks. Just curious. I would of thought that the thermal expansions would have mixed the water and oil. I have always had great service from Speedco.
You forgot two things.

1 Water and oil do not mix
2: Oil is less dense than water so it floats atop the water less stirred or homogized. (Emulsified).

So as the coolant heated and expended and flowed into the recovery tank, the oil floated on the top.

When the coolant cooled and was sucked back into the engine cooling system, recovered coolant was sucked from the BOTTOM of the tank, below the oil.

Reading this thread.. I think I'll shop elsewhere.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You forgot two things.

1 Water and oil do not mix
2: Oil is less dense than water so it floats atop the water less stirred or homogized. (Emulsified).

So as the coolant heated and expended and flowed into the recovery tank, the oil floated on the top.

When the coolant cooled and was sucked back into the engine cooling system, recovered coolant was sucked from the BOTTOM of the tank, below the oil.

Reading this thread.. I think I'll shop elsewhere.
Thanks for the explanation! Guess that explains why there was no oil in the coolant drained out of the radiator! I don't know what would have happened if the oil had gotten into the radiator, but it sure scared me!

I will continue to use Speedco because they are less than half the price I would have to pay a truck shop to do the same thing, but you can be sure I will be watching their every move from now on!

Old 07-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Wow. That does sound like it could have ended much worse. Too bad Speedco hired such a dufus but glad to hear that they took responsibility.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I took the MH to Speedco yesterday for the annual service, including the generator. After the guy had changed the oil in the genny I asked him to check the coolant level in the reservoir. When he removed the cap it was full of motor oil! I had it serviced at that same location back in October, and undoubtedly the guy who changed the oil had removed the wrong cap, started filling it with oil, and when the small reservoir overflowed realized his mistake! Then, instead of admitting his mistake he must have just replaced the coolant cap, removed the correct cap to put the new oil in, then went about his merry way!
MSHappyCampers
Your experience is a sad, but true, commentary about ANY "service" ANYWHERE in America.
Pride in workmanship is a thing of the past, as is hiring high caliber workers and paying them well.
The workers only care when their shift will be over and the company only cares about the "bottom line".
We should not have to become experts in the care of every aspect of our coaches and monitor the employees of a $120 an hour service department to be sure they don't screw something up.
But unfortunately that's the way it is!
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #11

I don't think it's the issue with who they hired, but with who TAUGHT them. Remember, everyone was a doofus once, right?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
HHg

We all should also remember, mistakes happen. They happen to us all.....every single one of us. Of all the many people I know, not a single one has gone through life without making a mistake occasionally.

Hhg
Old 07-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
We will never know for sure, but when we bought a pre-owned motorhome some years ago, the dealer was doing all of the last minute things before delivery. They worked on the brakes, as I recall and we can only presume the guy was interrupted, and forgot where he left off tightening things. About 150 miles from home, on our maiden trip (which was also for business), my DH saw, in the rear view mirror, the rear axle moving out from the wheel well. He made a quick, hard turn on the steering wheel, moving the coach and wheel back into position, immediately pulled to the shoulder - and there we sat until a tow truck could tow it back to the dealer.

Stuff happens, and sometimes there is no way to go back and see if it was done correctly.

JoAnn
Old 07-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #14

That would be a differential problem not the brakes.

You'll have to apologize for blaming the brake tech, nothing he could do would result in the axle coming out.

This was a much deeper pre-existing mechanical problem